Other matches Fred - 2019/2020.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t get what Bruce is trying to do here. Yes his team is badly outclassed but it’s not like playing to not get beat too bad and save your GD is possible.

Did he really think Newcastle could defend for 120 mins and sneak out a PK win?

You have nothing to lose and are almost 100% going to lose no matter what, why not at least try to play and maybe get a fluke goal early on. It’s not like City aren’t prone to giving away cheap goals.

I don’t get what Bruce is trying to do here. Yes his team is badly outclassed but it’s not like playing to not get beat too bad and save your GD is possible.

Did he really think Newcastle could defend for 120 mins and sneak out a PK win?

You have nothing to lose and are almost 100% going to lose no matter what, why not at least try to play and maybe get a fluke goal early on. It’s not like City aren’t prone to giving away cheap goals.

Newcastle beat them with the same tactics earlier this season.

It's pretty simple.... Even more-so as it's a cup-tie. They're completely outgunned in terms of quality.... Keeping it tight and grabbing a late goal by the skin of their teeth is about as plausible a plan as it was gonna get.

3 shots on target & it took a pen to break the deadlock suggest it was working to some degree too.

I've been screaming at the radio throughout the 2nd 1/4 of the game as like you the div Micky Gray has banging on about them "having a go" throughout.

Last edited:
Newcastle beat them with the same tactics earlier this season.

It's pretty simple.... Even more-so as it's a cup-tie. They're completely outgunned in terms of quality.... Keeping it tight and grabbing a late goal by the skin of their teeth is about as plausible a plan as it was gonna get.

3 shots on target & it took a pen to break the deadlock suggest it was working to some degree too.

I've been screaming at the radio throughout the 2nd 1/4 of the game as like you the div Mickey Gray has banging on about them "having a go" throughout.

Fair enough if it worked for them earlier. I have found that teams that just sit back hoping for a lucky goal against City get beat easily because they have so many players that can break down that defense that it rarely, I would have said never but apparently it did once, works.

Fair enough if it worked for them earlier. I have found that teams that just sit back hoping for a lucky goal against City get beat easily because they have so many players that can break down that defense that it rarely, I would have said never but apparently it did once, works.

It works plenty..... Do you not watch cup football very often?

Pushing people up and having a go from early just means it's more likely that the floodgates will open....

2-0 in the first half hour and it's as good as game over.

Last edited:
It works plenty..... Do you not watch cup football very often?

Pushing people up and having a go from early just means they're more likely that they'll open the floodgates....

2-0 in the first half hour and it's as good as game over.

It works plenty against City?

I don't think so, the most success (which isn;t much because they are so good) comes from teams that can punish them for their defensive errors.

I understand that for most games when 1 team is much better that sitting back and hoping for a goal is a common Cup strategy but I don't think that City is most teams.

Yes 2-0 is good as game over but with the way Newcastle has done zero 1-0 is just as bad because they have zero chance scoring a goal with 18% possession and zero chances.

The reality is that Newcastle is losing this game 99/100 no matter how they play I just see zero chance that they can win letting City have total control and endless chances. Plus, wouldn't you rather go out having attempted to win rather than just hoping and praying? This isn't Newcastle playing strong defense and having solid positioning this is absolute hope and pray stuff from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom