Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I agree that getting a new RB and DM would improve Spurs.

However, I think getting a new LB and DM would improve Spurs too - and I don't remember Davies making too many defensive errors leading to goals either.

Davies I would rate as solid and dependable as LB, plus can play CB if necessary

Not a star but imo we would improve more tby upgrading RB rather than LB.

Davies I would rate as solid and dependable as LB, plus can play CB if necessary

Not a star but imo we would improve more tby upgrading RB rather than LB.

Why would we improve more?

Not that I am disagreeing just want to know why. Both are down as 0 errors leading to goals this season in the league - but Aurier has a hand in TEN goals this season whereas Davies has had a hand in ONE.

If we were to compare key elements to their play, Aurier:

- completes more tackles
- makes more interceptions
- commits less fouls
- has been booked less
- completes more of his dribbles when going forward
- creates more goal scoring chances from full back
- has 8x the assists

To be fair to Davies, he wins more in the air than Aurier and is dispossessed less. But then you've got to ask yourself if you were to choose between two full backs, would you rather one who is dispossessed less and won more balls in the air or someone who wins more of their tackles, intercepts more, commits less fouls and can create going forward?

And to think, I actually WANT Aurier to be upgraded.

Not that I am disagreeing just want to know why. Both are down as 0 errors leading to goals this season in the league - but Aurier has a hand in TEN goals this season whereas Davies has had a hand in ONE.

- completes more tackles
- commits less fouls
- has been booked less
- has 8x the assists

To be fair to Davies, he wins more in the air than Aurier and is dispossessed less. But then you've got to ask yourself if you were to choose between two full backs, would you rather one who is dispossessed less and won more balls in the air or someone who wins more of their tackles, intercepts more, commits less fouls and can create going forward?

Aren't those stats more to do with Jose attacking more up the right flank with Ben slotting into defence to make it a back three?

I see Aurier more as a winger or wingback and Ben as a LB.

- completes more tackles
- commits less fouls
- has been booked less
- has 8x the assists

As I have already posted, Airier requires more support from cm thus weakening other areas of spurs. So upgrading Airier helps 2 positions.

My pov.

As I have already posted, Airier requires more support from cm thus weakening other areas of spurs. So upgrading Airier helps 2 positions.

My pov.

Our right side requires more support because of how our full back is instructed to play.

A new right back doesn't solve that issue.

I agree that getting a new RB and DM would improve Spurs.

However, I think getting a new LB and DM would improve Spurs too - and I don't remember Davies making too many defensive errors leading to goals either.
Mr Totti, I think getting eleven new players would improve Spurs.

X7fZb.gif

Mr Totti, I think getting eleven new players would improve Spurs.

X7fZb.gif

Genuinely think within the next 2 seasons:

NEW GK
NEW RB
- CB - NEW CB - NEW LB
CM - NEW DM - CM
RW - ST - LW

Will be our starting eleven - Lloris only has a contract until 2022 doesn't he? I can't see us signing him to a new one so unless he is sold this summer, he'll be gone next year in my opinion. Links to Maignan and Strakosha prove this.

We've been linked with plenty of right backs over the last year or so - we'll get one in the summer in my view, if not, certainly next year with Aurier either fighting for his place or leaving. I think we'll end up signing a left back too, who will eventually take Davies' place, don't think Sessegnon will end up being a future LB personally.

CB is a guarantee. Vertonghen is gone, I think we'll sell Foyth and I can see Alderweireld either leaving this summer or next year. Sanchez, Dier, Tanganga will still be here though.

We'll get a new DM in the summer - 100%

Maybe the manager has to put Airier in that position as the safest position for the side. With a new RB that compromise is not required.

NewZealand_Spur NewZealand_Spur made a good point too.

Why would that be the safest position in the side if it leaves space behind him, which in turn leaves central midfield open? Wouldn't the safest option be to let our wingers use the width instead? Get up and down the flanks to help out their full backs and keep Aurier and Davies a bit more narrow therefore solidifying our defence and keeping our midfield in the centre of the park? (A bit like how we played against Dortmund when we beat them away last season, one of Auriers best games)

If that is the case, I don't want to see ANYONE, especially you, complain or blame him if a goal is scored down his side by a ball played in behind or played into the space behind him.

He's simply pushed forward in the same way Trippier and Walker were pushed forward - because the 'Tottenham' way over the course of the last 5 years has been to get our wing backs wide and provide an outlet for them to either get in behind the opponents defence or to put a ball in to a crowded penalty area. Not because of his "defensive deficiencies"

- completes more tackles
- commits less fouls
- has been booked less
- has 8x the assists

If we're pulling our DM (whoever the hypothetical new guy would be) out of shape to cover Aurier doesn't it stand to reason that replacing him would also make us stronger in the middle?

Replace Ben at LB and the DM will still end compromised by doing double duty to cover Serge.

Not sure if our wonky system is Jose's fabled new plan or just an interim squad fix, but I'm not keen.

If we're pulling our DM (whoever the hypothetical new guy would be) out of shape to cover Aurier doesn't it stand to reason that replacing him would also make us stronger in the middle?

Replace Ben at LB and the DM will still end compromised by doing double duty to cover Serge.

Not sure if our wonky system is Jose's fabled new plan or just an interim squad fix, but I'm not keen.

But with Trippier and Walker at right back (two that many people believe are better than Aurier) we STILL had space in behind that our central midfielders would fill in. So it isn't because Aurier is starting, it's because he's been instructed to play where he's playing.

Last season it was mentioned EVERY game that Sissoko would babysit Trippier because he would be instructed to play so high.

Wanyama did a masterful job of covering Walker - as did Dembele on Rose's side. (Occasionally with Dier then coming up to fill in from his 3 at the back role)

A new right back coming in won't change that unless of course they are instructed differently, but then you probably lose offensive effectiveness from your right back, much like we have on the left side.

Genuinely think within the next 2 seasons:

NEW GK
NEW RB
- CB - NEW CB - NEW LB
CM - NEW DM - CM
RW - ST - LW

Will be our starting eleven - Lloris only has a contract until 2022 doesn't he? I can't see us signing him to a new one so unless he is sold this summer, he'll be gone next year in my opinion. Links to Maignan and Strakosha prove this.

We've been linked with plenty of right backs over the last year or so - we'll get one in the summer in my view, if not, certainly next year with Aurier either fighting for his place or leaving. I think we'll end up signing a left back too, who will eventually take Davies' place, don't think Sessegnon will end up being a future LB personally.

CB is a guarantee. Vertonghen is gone, I think we'll sell Foyth and I can see Alderweireld either leaving this summer or next year. Sanchez, Dier, Tanganga will still be here though.

We'll get a new DM in the summer - 100%
Yeah I was being a little tongue in cheek - but almost completely agree with you on your analysis here. In an ideal world, I'd actually have us sign two CDMs: one established and one a young prospect.

Oh, and I get that it wouldn't reflect the starting 11 but please jesus a new striker.

Yeah I was being a little tongue in cheek - but almost completely agree with you on your analysis here. In an ideal world, I'd actually have us sign two CDMs: one established and one a young prospect.

Oh, and I get that it wouldn't reflect the starting 11 but please jesus a new striker.

We've got Skipp for that.

Milik's agent plays down Tottenham links:

"Milik’s problem is his contract expires in 2021,” Area Napoli report. “I’m not so convinced of Tottenham; he would go there and be the reserve [striker]. Tottenham wanted Olivier Giroud in the past and he didn’t accept because there is no room with Harry Kane.”

(James Findlater, Football London)

Think the big difference is the greater number of defensive errors Airier makes versus others.

Wanyama was fit for only about a season so only a small part of Walker's time at Spurs.

Do you actually think Airier is a good RB ? Or one that Spurs need to find an upgrade for ?

I think we shouldn't have bought him when we did, when we had Trippier and KWP here, we should have just saved the money and bought some time and given KWP the rotation minutes and see where we were at the end of that season. I'd seen loads of Aurier at Toulouse and PSG and knew what he was about. He always had the physical tools and technically was pretty good, it was just his brain that lets him down at times.

I'd love to upgrade him, but to be honest, we've got ourselves in such a state, there are a few other positions that I think are in more desperate need and will be much easier to upgrade than Aurier now.

DM for sure. Left back is in much more need and will be much easier to upgrade IMO. I'd like to shift out a couple of AM's and replace them. And we are going to need a LCB.

Milik's agent plays down Tottenham links:

"Milik’s problem is his contract expires in 2021,” Area Napoli report. “I’m not so convinced of Tottenham; he would go there and be the reserve [striker]. Tottenham wanted Olivier Giroud in the past and he didn’t accept because there is no room with Harry Kane.”

There's 3 problems we seem to encounter when approaching any striker.

1. Harry Kane - Most strikers worth their salt know they aren't ever going to get in over Kane, they MAY sometimes get partnered with him perhaps and they'll definitely play the cup games, but for some people that's not enough when....

2. Wages - ...they're probably not getting paid what they think they could probably get by either staying at their current club and playing football or going elsewhere and actually play week in and week out. Which takes me onto the last problem, which probably isn't the biggest of them all but I think could well be a factor

3. Lack of success - we don't win anything. It's not a secret that some players are happy to sit on a bench at a club that win honours and get paid for doing nothing. If we were winning trophies, seriously competing at the top of the league and had that potential to compete in the Champions League every year, a striker would probably be a lot more happy to come and sit on the bench at Spurs and occasionally come on or partner Kane.

We're probably best off trying to find either someone who can play out wide or through the centre in a 433 (Someone like Plea of Gladbach who we have been linked with before), or a young striker who's different in contrast to Harry Kane, can provide something different but is still learning and probably shouldn't expect to start over Kane every week. (Which to an extent we tried with Janssen).

Our right side requires more support because of how our full back is instructed to play.

A new right back doesn't solve that issue.

It does if the only reason we're playing that way is to compensate for Aurier's shortcomings.

It does if the only reaosn we're playing that way is to compensate for Aurier's shortcomings.

There isn't a right back on the market, certainly not one we can get that would defend better than Aurier AND do better offensively.

We either want someone who will contribute offensively, which will leave space behind (Like Trippier and Walker before him), or someone who could potentially be better defensively and contribute sweet fuck all going forward (Davies, or Max Aarons)

There isn't a right back on the market, certainly not one we can get that would defend better than Aurier AND do better offensively.

We either want someone who will contribute offensively, which will leave space behind (Like Trippier and Walker before him), or someone who could potentially be better defensively and contribute sweet fuck all going forward (Davies, or Max Aarons)

Do you think we're playing this wonky system to accommodate Serge or because this is specifically how Jose wants to play?

I'm assuming that if we get the 433 everybody wants the FBs, won't need to push so high anyway (or at least as regularly) because in attack we'll effectively be playing 4123.

My pov.

It's not the Aurier requires more support, it's just a tactical application, that's part the midfield's job - it happens on both sides of the pitch at various times, it just so happens that Mourinho has used a much more right biased lopsided approach.

It's not Aurier's fault that Sissoko is a bad footballer. It's not Aurier's fault that Sissoko hides from CB's when they are looking for a passing option, it's not Aurier's fault that Sissoko treats the ball like it's a live hand grenade, or all Sissoko does is bunt the ball around with the imagination of sofa. If you're going to say maybe Sissoko could get forward the odd time more often, then frankly, the evidence suggests we are better off with Aurier getting forward, it's far more likely to produce something.

Back
Top Bottom