Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I hear this kind of talk from Spurs fans especially the part about how great the football was under Poch and I wonder what these people were watching for all of 2019 when Poch was here. The football was dreadful and the results were just as bad as the play.

It seems that many want to say that Poch played such great football because of how we played for the early and middle part of his time here and ignore the last year where we really fell off, likewise Jose has his reputation for playing boring football so he gets called out for boring football when it is really no more boring than the football we played under Poch at the end. Its almost like it is difficult to play free flowing, open football when your players outside of a very select few cannot play like that.

I also wonder if some Tottenham fans would rather finish in 14th playing stylish "Spurs" football. I will admit that I am a new-er (originally became a fan in 1996, but not a hardcore follower until around 2008-ish) and am also a dreaded NA fan so I will admit that I may be offside in speaking here to the lifelong, British fans but that notion seems crazy to me. But on twitter and podcasts I am starting to think that is the feeling with some.

So I would ask am I missing something here? Of course every fan of every team would love to play beautiful football while winning each game but that seems impossible. So much more likely is playing pretty nice football while having pretty good success. Where is the line for most people? Is winning most important or style? Is winning absolute importance no matter how awful to watch? is it the reverse and style matters beyond winning? Am I missing something that Spurs should only play a certain style so that matters more to "us" than to other clubs?

Anyways like tl;dr but my point being I think a lot of people are putting too much blame on Jose based on his reputation and not enough blame on the players/make-up of the team and their limitations.

Honestly, it's been so ridiculously long now without picking up some silverware I'll take a bit of 'pragmatic' football for a bit if it gets us over the finish line. I can't tolerate it forever but Jose better do what he was surely brought in for

I think once we get the defensive side sorted he will work on the attack. He said something along the lines of them doing more attacking work yesterday. It’s going to take time to piece all the bits together.
Big time, and it's so obvious that there's an element of treading water until we can get a CDM in the transfer window.

Once that's done, cross fingers, we might even see Ndombele and Lo Celso pulling strings at the same time, which could be jizzworthy.

Back to the here and now: we just saw Kane get his eye in during the whole West Ham match and are about to play an out of form Sheffield Utd. I think we're about to get some positive vibes...

Big time, and it's so obvious that there's an element of treading water until we can get a CDM in the transfer window.

Once that's done, cross fingers, we might even see Ndombele and Lo Celso pulling strings at the same time, which could be jizzworthy.

Back to the here and now: we just saw Kane get his eye in during the whole West Ham match and are about to play an out of form Sheffield Utd. I think we're about to get some positive vibes...

I agree, although not sure about your last sentence. I never like to hang my hat on anything to do with us, as we all know, as soon as things are looking good the carpet is inevitably pulled from beneath our feet.

I do not watch the other teams play much unless playing us but my memory of Chelsea when Jose was there was not of a defensive team but a team that scored goals and won. Now whilst not happy at the way we have played in some matches under Jose I am putting this down to lack of the players to do what he wants and defensively we have been a mess for some time.

I do not watch the other teams play much unless playing us but my memory of Chelsea when Jose was there was not of a defensive team but a team that scored goals and won. Now whilst not happy at the way we have played in some matches under Jose I am putting this down to lack of the players to do what he wants and defensively we have been a mess for some time.
Those who say he is all about defensive anti-football, must account for e.g Real Madrid 2011-12, a team that finished La Liga with 121 goals, +89 goal difference, 32 wins, 100 points. He is doing like many great managers before him, sorting the defence first.

Are we really now pretending Mourinho's sides don't play safety first, pragmatic football? There may be an argument to have about dull football v success if results improve but lets not rewrite his managerial history. I remember similar arguments when Graham came that he would improve the defence before working on the attack. Funnily enough he forgot about the latter.

Are we really now pretending Mourinho's sides don't play safety first, pragmatic football? There may be an argument to have about dull football v success if results improve but lets not rewrite his managerial history. I remember similar arguments when Graham came that he would improve the defence before working on the attack. Funnily enough he forgot about the latter.
To be fair Mourinho has coached far more exciting/attacking teams than George Graham ever did. Spurs is a good project for him - he already has many of the kind of attacking players he likes - a top number 9, fast & direct wide forwards. Players better suited to the way he wants to attack than those he had at Utd I'd say.

I'm optimistic performances will improve if we keep key players fit. Yes he likes a solid defense first, and yes he likes quick counter attacks. And he doesn't prioritise possession like, say, Pep or even Poch. But this style is probably a more realistic model for success for a club like Spurs, who still can't compete at the very top of the transfer market. I don't think he's as defensive a coach as Simeone at Athletico Madrid, but Athletico face similar problems to us, in that they can't compete financially with their top two. So I'd take a bit of pragmatism if it meant success.

Last edited:
To be fair Mourinho has coached far more exciting/attacking teams than George Graham ever did. Spurs is a good project for him - he already has many of the kind of attacking players he likes - a top number 9, fast & direct wide forwards. Players better suited to the way he wants to attack than those he had at Utd I'd say.

I'm optimistic performances will improve if we keep key players fit. Yes he likes a solid defense first, and yes he likes quick counter attacks. And he doesn't prioritise possession like, say, Pep or even Poch. But this style is probably a more realistic model for success for a club like Spurs, who still can't compete at the very top of the transfer market. I don't think he's as defensive a coach as Simeone at Athletico Madrid, but Athletico face similar problems to us, in that they can't compete financially with their top two. So I'd take a bit of pragmatism if it meant success.
As i say if it means success there is a duscussion to have re pragmatic football v success. If results dont improve we're left with dull football and upper mid table mediocrity but we'll see. I disagree on Graham, his earlier Woolwich sides were very similar to Mourinho's, a number 9 in Alan Smith, 2 quicker wide players whether that was Merson, Limpar etc but like Mourinho his sides got more safety first season on season.

Get this fucking cunt out! He's fucking shit. He's a fucking has been.

What are his excuses today? He has ALL his players available to him. Sheffield Utd couldn't even name a full bench because they have players out.

Nearly 70% possession and our 2nd shot on fucking target was Kane's goal in 89th min!

But, but he's a winner! Fuck Off!!

Back
Top Bottom