Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Would never see the field and their agent wouldn't let them come just like Milik's agent just said.

And yet I don't see other clubs having this issue. Maybe there are clubs and I am missing them but other clubs have main strikers and others willing to play behind them and are not paying out crazy wages, winning trophies.

Milik is a good example where is going to go where he can be the man or make more money or do more winning? He may be able to do one of those things but not likely two.

i also don't see how they never see the field with how often Kane is hurt and how many games Spurs play, but they haven't been able to attract anyone and multiple agents have said it is an issue so there is some smoke their obviously. I wonder if it is a case of a reputation being developed and then people just buying into it because common sense shows that anyone who would have come in the past two years would have had a ton of game time even with Kane being at the club.

Second, as mentioned originally I don't trust club to make the right choices in replacing Kane both at striker and using the money to strengthen the club in other areas. By keeping Kane at least we have that and that is better than watching a team without Kane and a bunch of Njie's, Nkoudou's and Janssen running around.
I don't trust them either but that doesn't impact my reasoning on what to do about Harry. Nor would bad reinvestment alter the evaluation of the first part. If you sell Harry for 5 billion pounds and repurchased Janssen for all of it then one good decision would be followed by a bad one. The decision to sell is independent of the choices for reinvestment. Plus, since Poch is gone I'm sure we'll have like 5 or 6 youth strikers coming through.

And yet I don't see other clubs having this issue. Maybe there are clubs and I am missing them but other clubs have main strikers and others willing to play behind them and are not paying out crazy wages, winning trophies.
Oh, but they do. Whose Bayern's backup? Barca? Juve's? RM's? Dortmund's? United have 2 because they have none, if you follow. City have 2 but there's concern over Jesus...and that's with Pep whose less concerned with a striker that's goals-first. Pool really don't have one but have options.

Last edited:
Oh, but they do. Whose Bayern's backup? Barca? Ju e's? RM's? Dortmund's? United have 2 because they have none, if you follow. City have 2 but there's concern over Jesus...and that with Pep whose less concerned with a striker that's goals first. Pool really don"t have one but have options.

I don't follow them enough but guys like Mueller/Zirkzee (Bayern), Jovic (RM), Dybala (Juve) seem to be ok back-ups but I don't follow those teams enough to know whether that is true.

Also if we get a Messi or Ronaldo then I will feel better about having to replace Kane!

We will need a keeper to push and eventually oust Lloris with Vorm going, Predrag Rajkovic would be ideal, from Reim and would be reasonably cheap & my favourite who I mentioned a while back Herve Koffi, out on loan from Lille, he will be an elite goalkeeper one day

Who said this, sounds familiar doesn’t it?

“The problem with a strong squad is how do you improve a strong squad on the transfer market? You have to be creative and we try to be creative. We try to find solutions internally.

“We have a lot of...we don’t have a first XI, I say we have a first 16 or 17, they can all play to the same level. But we have to use this, 100 per cent. And what we want to create are our transfers internally.”

With the strikers I think we’re always going to have the issue of ‘who’s going to want to sit behind Kane waiting for a chance’, but I agree it’s a very lazy outlook.

Kane gets injured at least one a season, and a big part of that is we over rely on him. Any striker that comes in is guaranteed games.

There’s options out there, just depends on their mindset. Players will go to Man City to be on bench because they’re guaranteed a big wage and a few winners medals.

We could look at someone young and hungry... Olly Watkins of Brentford. Different type of player to Kane but with 0 big league experience.

Giroud - Looking for more football, was happy to stay in London, but also hasn’t ruled out Italy. He’s not very mobile but he’s capable of leading the line well. Personally think he’s an upgrade on Llorente.

Antonio - Capable of playing through the middle and out wide. Would cost us and I don’t think he’s great at all.

Milik - if his agents comments are to be believed, he doesn’t want to sit behind Kane in the pecking order.

I do not know if that is 'the' answer but it is 'an' answer. And yes, this summer may be the summer to do it A) because many of the 6-ish teams that we could sell to and could afford him will be looking for a striker, B) it's always better to sell 1 year early than 1 year late, and C) in this manner the club has maximum leverage and negotiates from a position of strength and planning.

Most won't...until the conventional wisdom catches up to make folks feel more comfortable with moves like this. But it's been going on for 40+ years in other sports.

No, but I see the same or worse outcome without it. It is hard to see a path back to the top 4 with those same things you mention in place and a player whose profile and ambitions outstrip that of the collective.

People said the same with Eriksen.

He's done that in the league once, right? Striker is the most overvalued position on the field. Most of Harry's goals are not a result of his singular genius but of the work of the other 9 outfield players. Take his goal the other night. Great finish and you'd expect him to do it but you would expect most other strikers to as well. In fact, you can imagine a few qualities of another striker that would have made you more comfortable thinking it would be finished like more pace and the ability to round the keeper.

And his "30-40" goals a season is goig to get us where in the next few seasons? What is par for you? Would you sacrifice being above that for a new project that would restart 5 more seasons like the Poch era? I would because I don't see top 4 in the next few years with how things stand and just trying to piecemeal a team to support Harry.

Sell Harry, get 100+, buy Thuram (40M + Raiola), Zakaria (40M, though I still don't know what his knee injiry was but I thought it was a collateral), and a promising back striker and we are better off and with a brighter future and more options.
Let’s imagine Covid-19 never happened, if last year was the bench mark for our spending and we continued to invest around the 100m-120m mark every summer.

Would you still think selling him would be the best option? or are you specifically trying to solve our current situation and lack of funds going in to this particular summer due to the current economic climate and predictable financial short comings of the club.

Let’s imagine Covid-19 never happened, if last year was the bench mark for our spending and we continued to invest around the 100m-120m mark every summer.

Would you still think selling him would be the best option? or are you specifically trying to solve our current situation and lack of funds going in to this particular summer due to the current economic climate and predictable financial short comings of the club.
Good question but fairly straightforward answer for your specific question and in general; everyone is for sale at all times. The key is in the negotiation.

Now, I was open to selling him last summer as part of the rebuild and made noises about it on this board. In fact I would not have minded selling every single player from that team in the "painful rebuild" and hoped they did it. Did I think they'd do it in 1 summer? No. Did I hope that they'd give it the ol' college try? Yes.

But the specific calculus in regards to Harry is that his profile, expectations, and rightfully earned ambitions are beyond that of his current teammates and the club. That is where we are now, where we were last summer, and the summer before. And unfortunately I believe that is where we will be if he stays. So I am not trying to solve an extant problem. What I would be doing is planning an ambitious way forward. And the next time a player pops ups way beyond his teammates and ahead of the collective development curve then do the same thing and balance the squad with the reinvestment. That's how you build a strong team that will challenge for honors and not by waiting to see who pops up in the relegation sweepstakes. And that's also how you do it on the cheap.

Another aspect to this is evaluating our own players relative to the market and their actual development. Had they done that then perhaps Eriksen would not have been here long enough to let his value drop and players like Dele would have been sold when their perceived value was light years beyond their actual ability. When you look at it the Walker xfer was actually great timing (though he has still been great and I miss him) but it wasn't planned. He was at the perfect age to sell and on the market was Pereira from Leicester but we didn't bite. We have structural issues at the club and no matter how much the net spend mafia would like to sing levy's praises he falls down here.

Instead of doing it this way Levy has tried to milk every last drop out of the dead carcass that was Poch's troops even though said manager was begging for a rebuild. But now he has the chance to show true mettle.

That said I don't have any belief that they will sell. In fact I think they are trying to sell the club and need that world recognized cog that is Harry Kane. And part of me wonders if Harry's people see/know this and planted that recent story in order to make Levy pay up for the increased 'value' he is trying to extract from Harry.

Last edited:
That said I don't have any belief that they will sell. In fact I think they are trying to sell the club and need that world recognized cog that is Harry Kane. And part of me wonders if Harry's people see/know this and planted that recent story in order to make Levy pay up for the increase 'value' he is trying to extract from Harry.
Not having a go at your comment in general but you lost me a little on what exactly you mean here.

Edit: sorry, I think I see it now - you meant they won't sell Kane in the first part. Apologies.

Back
Top Bottom