Levy / ENIC

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

They are also in more shit than us.

However, in December, Woolwich announced an operating loss of £27.1 million ($34m) for the year 2018–19. It was the first time the club had posted a loss since 2002. And why? The £230m ($287m) wage bill.

Woolwich have embraced a self-sustainable model, but it is founded upon Champions League football. For two decades under Arsene Wenger, that was almost viewed as a given. But those days are gone.

Rightly or wrongly , our financial model is not dependant on CL.

Said it before but from a business point of view I do feel sorry for levy with COVID coming along now. He’s very shrewd, the stadium should be reaping in the benefits of our long Wembley stay. Instead it sits empty while still needing to be repaid.

He will have his eyes very clearly on the finances and how things look - he ideally needs a crystal ball.

I’m not expecting much spending on players this summer unless we sell anyway.

Said it before but from a business point of view I do feel sorry for levy with COVID coming along now. He’s very shrewd, the stadium should be reaping in the benefits of our long Wembley stay. Instead it sits empty while still needing to be repaid.

He will have his eyes very clearly on the finances and how things look - he ideally needs a crystal ball.

I’m not expecting much spending on players this summer unless we sell anyway.
I wouldn't say I feel "sorry" for him. Financially we're ok, but as you say Covid is going to impact all clubs and will have an impact on our spending.

Levy/ENIC are never gonna leave Spurs.
When Levy finally pops his clogs his head will be preserved in a jar like in futurama, and he'll rule over Tottenham in his 1000 year Reich.

However, in December, Woolwich announced an operating loss of £27.1 million ($34m) for the year 2018–19. It was the first time the club had posted a loss since 2002. And why? The £230m ($287m) wage bill.

Woolwich have embraced a self-sustainable model, but it is founded upon Champions League football. For two decades under Arsene Wenger, that was almost viewed as a given. But those days are gone.

Levy and Woolwich owners both manage the club in a very stingy way , difference is Woolwich have very bad player management which has lead to wage issues , contract issues and poor recruitment whereas Levy has somewhat been better at that.

But the point stands from the tweet. I think its more the expectations of Spurs fans are the same of Woolwich fans when they moved into their new stadium , its a worrying similarity.

Never thought of it this way , but came across this on my TL , and he's not wrong.
We also banter Woolwich but we're becoming just as bad in terms of investment.

That tweet is a load of lazy bollocks. Sounds like something a west ham fan would come out with when talking about us. But then what would you expect an account with the word "spurs" in it, maybe it is run by a gooner or west ham fan?

Last edited:
That tweet is a load of lazy bollocks. Sounds like something a west ham fan would come out with when talking about us. But then what would you expect an account with the word "spurs" in it, maybe it is run by a gooner or west ham fan?
This bloke has made a name for himself by being ultra negative ala AFTV.

He is absolute twat.

Never thought of it this way , but came across this on my TL , and he's not wrong.
We also banter Woolwich but we're becoming just as bad in terms of investment.

That seems to be a bit of a garbage tweet designed to be hot take-y by including Woolwich in it so fans will a. have a harder time disagreeing with it since some will spin it as associating it with Woolwich and b. people will ignore how wrong a lot of the points are so that they can instead slag Woolwich.

There is little to indicate that we are following the same path as Woolwich or that the things he laid out are even the path of Woolwich.

Not that it should be have to be done but Woolwich are in the shit they are right now because:

-they held on to their popular, formerly successful manager for too long, we dirched Poch
-replaced him with a trendy pick that had success with a smaller club but struggled with a move up in tiers, we did not do this either
-continually brought in older players as band aids to try and cover up the real issues with the club that they refused to acknowledge or address, I have not seen us do this at all, we have issues with addressing our problems but not by papering over it with old, crappy players
-They kept/paid guys ridiculous wages that hurt their ability to move them and reduced their ability to bring in proper replacements.

Obviously this is a very surface level analysis but the "paths" we took are not that similar. I would say the two similar aspects are both clubs had stadium issues that may have affected their finances, but would the tweeter suggest that we don't build a new stadium in that case? And we both have been poor in talent evaluation when it comes to transfers. To me hardly going down the same path.

There are plenty of reasons to crap on Spurs and ENIC for the way things have gone lately but making up BS narratives about our path being the same as Woolwich just to get likes is pretty stupid.

Finally, as for the top 4 as a trophy narrative, I understand clubs should always want to win but with the money and prestige that Champions League brings I think it is silly to mock or dismiss its importance. Yes it is not a trophy but I would personally take top 4 and CL the next year over 11th and the League Cup. I imagine that repeating those two results year after year you are going to have a much better club by finishing top 4 and having CL rather than "winning" a trophy and finishing mid table.

Screenshot-20200630-181153-Chrome.jpg

Makes spending all that money on someone that couldn't even be arsed running even worse tbh.

Totally agree but in fairness how many of the low risk signings have actually worked.
The model has also shifted though. Since the new stadium financials got settled we've shifted to buying higher up in the market whilst also paying wages to hold on to all the players we wish to.

Net spend last year of €100M. If anything, I think Levy is hesitant to blow through a load of the war chest in a single whack thanks to residual effects of having wasted most of the Bale money

Finally, as for the top 4 as a trophy narrative, I understand clubs should always want to win but with the money and prestige that Champions League brings I think it is silly to mock or dismiss its importance. Yes it is not a trophy but I would personally take top 4 and CL the next year over 11th and the League Cup. I imagine that repeating those two results year after year you are going to have a much better club by finishing top 4 and having CL rather than "winning" a trophy and finishing mid table.
Then you would have really cringed reading page after page in the Woolwich thread with people mocking them and their top 4 is everything mentality.
We have, essentially, become Woolwich without the trophies!

The model has also shifted though. Since the new stadium financials got settled we've shifted to buying higher up in the market whilst also paying wages to hold on to all the players we wish to.

Net spend last year of €100M. If anything, I think Levy is hesitant to blow through a load of the war chest in a single whack thanks to residual effects of having wasted most of the Bale money
Everything shifts from us there is always and I mean always, a reason or excuse why this didn't work out or failure transpired.
I think most fan's have had enough and are bored silly of this never ending cycle, for the club not to have pushed on from a position of strength was indeed criminal.

Then you would have really cringed reading page after page in the Woolwich thread with people mocking them and their top 4 is everything mentality.
We have, essentially, become Woolwich without the trophies!

No we really haven't but again i understand that it is an easy way to try and take shots at the team because most people will be so focused on the Woolwich part of what you say that they will ignore reality.

No we really haven't but again i understand that it is an easy way to try and take shots at the team because most people will be so focused on the Woolwich part of what you say that they will ignore reality.
It's not a shot at the team. It's a shot at the owners.

Or trophies lol

Everything shifts from us there is always and I mean always, a reason or excuse why this didn't work out or failure transpired.
I think most fan's have had enough and are bored silly of this never ending cycle, for the club not to have pushed on from a position of strength was indeed criminal.
Thankfully, more complaining will sort it out!

:mourthumb:

Back
Top Bottom