Tottenham Hotspur vs. Chelsea [CAPITAL ONE CUP FINAL]

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

That pair of Mason and Bentaleb could easily be our weakest midfield 2 among those seasons.
Poch eventually turned Dembele to a real Beast in 15/16. I remembered Poch played him at right midfield may be in the first match against MANU. Then somehow he started playing Dembele in the CAM position while Alli was playing in the CM of the double pivot.
Mason was as bad as it gets. Poch was new and was trying to get brownie points for playing the 'youfs' and 'one of our owns'.

Well Mason and Bentaleb were never better than Dembele, that much is obvious.
So the simple fact is, we saw Dembeles level when he was played, and played in his right position.
Poch didn’t turn him into anything.......he just woke up and started pickI guess him.

I don’t know.

He was 27 and hadn’t been picked up by a club bigger than Fulham before us. He was struggling to impact games in AM.
27 years old you should be first choice in a final. Not a maybe.

Personally I think one of the main positives Poch has/had as a coach was making people believe in themselves and adding a level of aggression to their games - which was positive in terms of winning the ball but also not being afraid to receive the ball and make mistakes.

He blossomed when playing in a deeper role. But like you say whether that was by luck - or not - I think Dembeles game improved under poch.

My take on it. (And he really needed to score more goals to have reached that peak level IMO - Goal return was pretty shocking for an attacking player)

Back
Top Bottom