Italian football!

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This could be a massive coup!

They’ve already built themselves a nice little team on the quiet, if they keep it together for next season, I think they will easily be top4 next season.

Be interesting to see if the Rangnick thing works out, especially at a club like Milan.

I really wish we’d tried to bring him in and reboot our whole system.

2/4/5/3 = Back four as far back as I can remember..... Or are you refering exclusively to Italy in the 40s or something niche like that?

Not quite, but the fact that English football rarely had anything as maverick as a deep lying playmaker, meant it was far more common in places like Italy. Hoddle wore 4 for a couple of seasons for us. Vieira did. Fabregas. I would call Jorginho a 4 in his role at Chelsea (&napoli) . Pirlo started as a 10 ended his career as a 4. Pretty sure Guardiola was a 4 type. Xabi Alonso maybe.

Not quite, but the fact that English football rarely had anything as maverick as a deep lying playmaker, meant it was far more common in places like Italy. Hoddle wore 4 for a couple of seasons for us. Vieira did. Fabregas. I would call Jorginho a 4 in his role at Chelsea (&napoli) . Pirlo started as a 10 ended his career as a 4. Pretty sure Guardiola was a 4 type. Xabi Alonso maybe.

....Anomalies happen due to pre-existing squad shirt allocations and players moving on etc., but 4 is and 'always' was traditionally a CB. Less traditionally, in more modern times i'd happily conceded that shirt numbers mean less in relation to actual positions.

I guess what I'm struggling with in terms of your rational is that somehow #6 suddenly in turn comes to 'mean' CB just cos your deep MF has a pass in them.

Pretty trivial stuff, I guess so don't wanna bunker down over this.

....Anomalies happen due to pre-existing squad shirt allocations and players moving on etc., but 4 is and 'always' was traditionally a CB. Less traditionally, in more modern times i'd happily conceded that shirt numbers mean less in relation to actual positions.

I guess what I'm struggling with in terms of your rational is that somehow #6 suddenly in turn comes to 'mean' CB just cos your deep MF has a pass in them.

Pretty trivial stuff, I guess so don't wanna bunker down over this.

Excellent news.

They’ve already built themselves a nice little team on the quiet, if they keep it together for next season, I think they will easily be top4 next season.

Be interesting to see if the Rangnick thing works out, especially at a club like Milan.

I really wish we’d tried to bring him in and reboot our whole system.
Also begs the question as to what is going on at RB Leipzig (all the RB sports franchises as he headed them all) as it's not just him that has left but the fraud Paul Mitchell too.

Also begs the question as to what is going on at RB Leipzig (all the RB sports franchises as he headed them all) as it's not just him that has left but the fraud Paul Mitchell too.

I have no idea if Mitchell is good or bad at his job, but it will be interesting to see what happens at the RB group now, Rangnick having been so instrumental in everything they did.

Juventus-Atalanta is a key for Serie A
gazza11.jpg

A 4 is a 6.
In the 80s, long before football became completely commodified, players were numbered 1-11.
5&6 were normally centre backs. 4&8 CMs.
It was usually on shit management games on the commodore 64 that you ended up with a 6 as your midfielder.
Regards
a boring bastard

Not looking good for Genoa Cricket & Football Club. Lost 3-0 to relegation rivals in the week. I don't really give a shit but decided they were 'my' Italian team when I saw what their name was, and that we were founded by English expats.

Back
Top Bottom