Lessons to be learnt from Liverpool winning the title?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Is that the same 'crappy' Moura who had just scored a hat trick in the semi final and saved our arses ??

Yes

But it wasn’t like he scored a hat trick because he was creating a ton of chances he was the guy standing there after others made the plays.

And although there is nothing more that (many) Spurs fans love to do is overrate that one game by him he has a whole career showing that game was by far tge exception than the norm for him.

Yes

But it wasn’t like he scored a hat trick because he was creating a ton of chances he was the guy standing there after others made the plays.

And although there is nothing more that (many) Spurs fans love to do is overrate that one game by him he has a whole career showing that game was by far tge exception than the norm for him.

I think when it comes to Lucas he can be a match winner on any given day, he's done it a handful of times for us in different games. I can remember, Ajax,, Man Utd, Wolves, and another game where he scored a hat trick and his little boy came on and kicked the ball at the end while the crowd cheered, can't remember the oppo.
He just isn't consistent enough. Decent squad player though.

Yes

Let us just isolate the incident rather than try to merge it into the 'overall picture' of the entire season. We have someone who has just scored three goals in a semi and is obviously buzzing and on form but we drop him for the final to play our usual star striker who is not match fit and has not kicked a ball in anger for two whole months. Surely it should have been the other way around ? Moura starts and Kane on later in the second half, hopefully for a cameo appearance and to lift the cup.

Anyway, this has been discussed at extremely great length on this forum and it's one of those "We'll never know" ones. Looking at the situation coldly and rationally I personally think Poch allowed sentiment over common sense and made the wrong choice.

Let us just isolate the incident rather than try to merge it into the 'overall picture' of the entire season. We have someone who has just scored three goals in a semi and is obviously buzzing and on form but we drop him for the final to play our usual star striker who is not match fit and has not kicked a ball in anger for two whole months. Surely it should have been the other way around ? Moura starts and Kane on later in the second half, hopefully for a cameo appearance and to lift the cup.

Anyway, this has been discussed at extremely great length on this forum and it's one of those "We'll never know" ones. Looking at the situation coldly and rationally I personally think Poch allowed sentiment over common sense and made the wrong choice.

On form?

He had one hot game, largely off the work of other players, a month before the final. He was also largely involved in the absolute awful end of the season we had in the EPL in which he was not close to being in form at all.

Maybe you could argue if the game was the next week but expecting Moura, who had shown repeatedly he was not good enough to be a starter at any position let alone out of position at striker, to carry over his supposed hot start from a month ago is ridiculous.

Moura is a winger, not a striker, and there is a reason he has struggled to even get starts at that position in his time with Spurs. Playing him out of position when a vastly superior Kane is available in the biggest game the team has played in in years would have been ridiculous. There is a reason that when Kane is out we struggle desperately and why we need a back-up striker and that is because player like Moura cannot fill in when Kane is out. If he isn't a good enough striker for mid week EPL games against Sunderland why would we want him starting in the Champions League final.

There are a lot of issues that the fluke run to the CL final papered over for this club but the biggest myth that may have come out of it is that Moura is a good player.

On form?

He had one hot game, largely off the work of other players, a month before the final. He was also largely involved in the absolute awful end of the season we had in the EPL in which he was not close to being in form at all.

Maybe you could argue if the game was the next week but expecting Moura, who had shown repeatedly he was not good enough to be a starter at any position let alone out of position at striker, to carry over his supposed hot start from a month ago is ridiculous.

Moura is a winger, not a striker, and there is a reason he has struggled to even get starts at that position in his time with Spurs. Playing him out of position when a vastly superior Kane is available in the biggest game the team has played in in years would have been ridiculous. There is a reason that when Kane is out we struggle desperately and why we need a back-up striker and that is because player like Moura cannot fill in when Kane is out. If he isn't a good enough striker for mid week EPL games against Sunderland why would we want him starting in the Champions League final.

There are a lot of issues that the fluke run to the CL final papered over for this club but the biggest myth that may have come out of it is that Moura is a good player.

I will just say that to expect Harry to put in a typical "Kane" performance immediately following 54 days off, especially in a CPL Final was at the least 'naive'. He invariably takes a couple of matches to get back into his stride (this latest episode being a perfect example). We shall never agree so I'll leave it there.

I will just say that to expect Harry to put in a typical "Kane" performance immediately following 54 days off, especially in a CPL Final was at the least 'naieve'. He invariably takes a couple of matches to get back into his stride (this latest episode being a perfect example). We shall never agree so I'll leave it there.

i wish we had a realistic back up option to play there but as we saw when he was out last year and this year we do not. Moura is not good enough and is a winger, Son is a winger, Llorente (god bless his ability to knock down that ball for Moura to score) is certainly not that guy either. Kane at 75% coming off a 2 month break was by far the best option.

I am not disagreeing that Kane (at the condition he was in) was not an ideal option, I am just saying he was a much better option than Moura.

Same trip went into a paper shop another guy came in after me went to the counter and the bloke handed him something from under the counter? It was a copy of the Sun newspaper slipped it inside his jacket and left, is that the situation regarding the Sun paper all over Liverpool the city or Liverpool fc has it the same affect on Everton and their fans?

The rag is generally loathed by both sets of fans, especially after the lies printed post Hillsborough.

I've been a lifelong Guardian reader myself, so it's never affected me personally.

The rag is generally loathed by both sets of fans, especially after the lies printed post Hillsborough.

I've been a lifelong Guardian reader myself, so it's never affected me personally.
Yeah I know what impact the Sun had in Liverpool at the time of hillsboro obviously the newspaper shop and the customer were aware of the situation but it didn’t concern all that much as one sold it the other bought/read it.

Sorry, I wasn’t really trying to have a go. It’s just the extent to which the two clubs have gone in opposite directions since the CL Final last year is truly stunning - but depressingly so - not a surprise. One club has an ownership that has the vision and commitment to push on from the disappointment of the previous season - whilst the other, clearly, doesn’t.

To be fair, Liverpool didn't make any major signings last summer. They had already completed their team in the previous summer and were desperately unlucky not to win the PL then (Man City still deserved to win though). But Liverpool have been nearly flawless in terms of recruitment and sales, and some of that has to be down to luck.

Same trip went into a paper shop another guy came in after me went to the counter and the bloke handed him something from under the counter? It was a copy of the Sun newspaper slipped it inside his jacket and left, is that the situation regarding the Sun paper all over Liverpool the city or Liverpool fc has it the same affect on Everton and their fans?
The vast majority of us also really hate the Sun. It got banned from Goodison after Kelvin Mackenzie wrote an article comparing Barkley to a gorilla.

Two seasons ago, we finished above Liverpool in the league.

They're now FORTY-FOUR POINTS ahead of us in the table (okay, I know we've got a game in hand...)

We're two clubs going in opposite directions and the gap between us is huge.

Back
Top Bottom