Harry Winks

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He played a quality pass forward against Leicester. I forget who didn't score from it, which was a shame as it would have pretty much doubled Wink's goal contribution in one go.
But you're falling into a trap here. What constitutes a forward pass? Is there a defined angle that differentiates it from a side pass and is a side pass differentiated from a back pass?
Also. is a 40 yard inch perfect side pass to an unmarked overlapping wide player that goes through and crosses for a goal, less of an attacking pass than 14 "forward" passes that travel 5 feet?

Stats. Stats. Stats.
They can be made to tell whatever story you want them to.
Watching game after game after game with no stats at all is so much better.
When you are on of the deepest midfielders almost every pass is a forward pass. If Davies has moved forward 1 cm, that side ways pass is considered a forward pass. Like you said, stats stats stats.

Son would start at any of our Top 6 rivals

Winks would make the bench at best

No way Son starts at ManC, and I'd be fucking amazed if Klopp would be interested in a player as hopelessly flimsy without the ball as Son is unless he could score at least 30 goals a season.

Lets be honest, when he's not scoring wonderful goals, he's like a turtle in a fucking windsock, can barely manage a three yard pass without fucking it up, and for the last month he's been on one of his regular month long wankathons.

Fucking dreadful today, again.

I don’t dislike Winks at all. He’s a tidy player who has come through our youth system to prove himself as a very good footballer.

He’s just not offering what we need. Maybe that freak injury set him back. Prior to that he was full of positive passes and energy. Hardly Dembélé but very competent at connecting the defence to the final third. He was doing a similar job for England in a few games too.

Unfortunately much like most of his passes these days, he’s gone backwards.

I don’t dislike Winks at all. He’s a tidy player who has come through our youth system to prove himself as a very good footballer.

He’s just not offering what we need. Maybe that freak injury set him back. Prior to that he was full of positive passes and energy. Hardly Dembélé but very competent at connecting the defence to the final third. He was doing a similar job for England in a few games too.

Unfortunately much like most of his passes these days, he’s gone backwards.

He's largely had his more progressive instincts coached out of him (in favour of a safety first approach) by this failed notion that he's a viable DM; moreso by Poch than by Jose ironically.

So long as he is allowed to concentrate on his core abilities, he still has a perfectly good future here as a back-up #8 if he wants it.

He's largely had his more progressive instincts coached out of him (in favour of a safety first approach) by this failed notion that he's a viable DM; moreso by Poch than by Jose ironically.

So long as he is allowed to concentrate on his core abilities, he still has a perfectly good future here as a back-up #8 if he wants it.

I’d be happy with him as a backup 8. Just as long as he’s not lumbered with Sissoko, who projects a radius of shitness towards anyone close to him.

Maybe it is down to coaching, but he needs to stop playing safe. He’s shown he has an eye for a progressive pass and should be encouraged to trust that instinct. The job he did in the last few games could have easily been carried out by Vorm.

I’d be happy with him as a backup 8. Just as long as he’s not lumbered with Sissoko, who projects a radius of shitness towards anyone close to him.

Maybe it is down to coaching, but he needs to stop playing safe. He’s shown he has an eye for a progressive pass and should be encouraged to trust that instinct. The job he did in the last few games could have easily been carried out by Vorm.

LOL... Harsh!

Like every one of our MFs; a proer DM would free him up to do what he does best.

LOL... Harsh!

Like every one of our MFs; a proer DM would free him up to do what he does best.

It’s true though! You could probably stick Levy in the middle and ask him to kick the ball vaguely in the direction of the nearest Spurs player, and the outcome wouldn’t be much different.

He’s better than that.

It’s true though! You could probably stick Levy in the middle and ask him to kick the ball vaguely in the direction of the nearest Spurs player, and the outcome wouldn’t be much different.

He’s better than that.

Agreed.

He looks more and more like an Everton player every time I see him. We could get 20 mill for him because he's home grown. Time to move him on, he's just blocking Skipp.

Our midfield set up has been so strange this season. With Sissoko and Winks, it always appears as though the former is filling in for the right back as he goes forward, leaving Winks stranded in the middle of the pitch. If the attack doesn’t come to fruition, then we seem to be attacked with ease through the middle of the pitch.
Irrespective of the odd tactics, Winks hasn’t pushed on as a player (perhaps peaking in that terrific game vs Madrid). Good dribbling, good passing, but a lack of pretty much anything else. Difficult to see how you persevere with him in the starting xi with our ambition for trophies and CL. Like most on here, more than happy to have him as a squad player. If he can rediscover that form, I’d be happy to try him out alongside a more traditional DM.

No way Son starts at ManC, and I'd be fucking amazed if Klopp would be interested in a player as hopelessly flimsy without the ball as Son is unless he could score at least 30 goals a season.

Lets be honest, when he's not scoring wonderful goals, he's like a turtle in a fucking windsock, can barely manage a three yard pass without fucking it up, and for the last month he's been on one of his regular month long wankathons.

Fucking dreadful today, again.
if Son started every game as an out and out striker in a 4-4-2 or 3-5-2 instead of being repeatedly played isolated as a wide midfielder I would back him to score 20 goals in a season..

Back
Top Bottom