Christian Eriksen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yeah, I loved Poch but to this day I actually don't think he recognized it. And I'm not sure weeding out explains it all. The fact that Dembele on the RAM/RW up until the Liverpool game @ WHL (Klopp's first game) supports this. And even then it was only due to injury and he reverted back to putting him at AM in the next game. To prefer Mason, Bentaleb, and Dele when he had the option of MD is damning.

As RESPECT THE COCK RESPECT THE COCK will tell you I've been complaining about his lack of recognition of this fact for the longest. Everyone was made better by the space afforded them by MD's exploits. And I bet you if I ran an analysis CE's 'bad games' they would strongly correlate to MD's absence...much less space to find with his 'magnificent brain' without MD occupying the attentions of 4 oppo players. It doesn't surpise me that he is struggling in Italy as I think people ascribe a more complete game to him than is actually there.

Look at these results from Poch's second season with and without MD in the lineup

I remember whispers of it on SC from early on but I never heard/read anything from the Fulham days.

I said that Eriksens form dipped as soon as Dembele got injured at Wolves and then was eventually sold and got told this was bullshit.

It's not a coincidence that Eriksen was shit for near enough 12 months - the same length of time we had no Dembele. You take out Dembele, which in turn makes Eriksen look worse, and you can see why Spurs' form drastically dipped.

Add into that Alderweireld and Vertonghens decline, Kanes injuries and a lack of true depth and you have left the Spurs team we've seen for the last 18 months.

Poch never had a problem with Eriksen and vice versa. That would be a good job for Poch
Oh, it would be a decent job for Poch, and I think that there would always be mutual respect between the two.

But, Eriksen left because he didn't want to be a part of that system anymore, and Poch was stuck with a player who was dragging his ass all over the field. Eriksen even made comments about the lack of game plan and the repetitive sessions that were going on. I don't think that they dislike each other, but Eriksen left to get away from the system he felt he was stuck in.

I said that Eriksens form dipped as soon as Dembele got injured at Wolves and then was eventually sold and got told this was bullshit.

It's not a coincidence that Eriksen was shit for near enough 12 months - the same length of time we had no Dembele. You take out Dembele, which in turn makes Eriksen look worse, and you can see why Spurs' form drastically dipped.

Add into that Alderweireld and Vertonghens decline, Kanes injuries and a lack of true depth and you have left the Spurs team we've seen for the last 18 months.
Pretty damn good summation there. But as I've alluded to previously I feel that Poch attributed too much of our success to our attacking players. I know he said the "without Dembele..." but he also followed that in a press conference by saying it was mostly joking. I'm not sure he ever truly understood MD's value to our success. I always think he wanted a pretty passer there.

It should NOT be given any consideration. He has fucked his own career by turning off for a year or more. He is a has-been, and will never again be the player he was. With the way he chose to conduct himself, good riddance, do not want to see him back.
Definitely. He lost his motivation to help us win once he'd made up his mind and put in half-hearted performances.

Once upon a time he was a vital cog in the machine albeit one who sometimes disappeared in big games. Rarely ill or injured, he put a lot in to the club and I wish Levy would have had the foresight to sell him before it all went tits up. He'd have been fondly remembered and maybe even welcomed back by many fans (if not the board).

Yeah, I loved Poch but to this day I actually don't think he recognized it. And I'm not sure weeding out explains it all. The fact that Dembele on the RAM/RW up until the Liverpool game @ WHL (Klopp's first game) supports this. And even then it was only due to injury and he reverted back to putting him at AM in the next game. To prefer Mason, Bentaleb, and Dele when he had the option of MD is damning.

As RESPECT THE COCK RESPECT THE COCK will tell you I've been complaining about his lack of recognition of this fact for the longest. Everyone was made better by the space afforded them by MD's exploits. And I bet you if I ran an analysis CE's 'bad games' they would strongly correlate to MD's absence...much less space to find with his 'magnificent brain' without MD occupying the attentions of 4 oppo players. It doesn't surpise me that he is struggling in Italy as I think people ascribe a more complete game to him than is actually there.

Look at these results from Poch's second season with and without MD in the lineup

I remember whispers of it on SC from early on but I never heard/read anything from the Fulham days.
I seem to remember he hadn’t been playing for us long when he aggravated some old hip injury he had as a 16 yr old. Might be that?

An important player for us and sadly missed unlike Eriksen (the sadly missed part to be clear!).

Not quite so impressive the next season, you know, the even better one, 16/17 where our only defeats came with him in the side in PL, CL and EL and we didn't lose a single game in the 9 he wasn't. To be fair he only played the last 30 minutes in the West Ham defeat where we were already 1-0 down.

We'd have to watch the games agains to really assess the impact the lack of Dembele had on people like Eriksen but the 16/17 games Dembele were absent don't seem to have impacted Eriksen's productivity much 2 goals 2 assists in the 8 PL games without Dembele at all.

Personally I think having someone like Eriksen, who's intelligent movement always made himself and available as a conduit to our midfielders, was a reciprocal thing, which married up with Dembele's unflappable ability to never misplace a pace, no matter how long it took him to do the risk assessment, and Wanyama's door minding.

Last edited:
[/QUOTE] I wish Levy would have had the foresight to sell him before it all went tits up.

Yes indeed, it sounds perfect now, but he would have been savaged at the time from not only Spurs fans, but the Spurs hating media.

Oh, it would be a decent job for Poch, and I think that there would always be mutual respect between the two.

But, Eriksen left because he didn't want to be a part of that system anymore, and Poch was stuck with a player who was dragging his ass all over the field. Eriksen even made comments about the lack of game plan and the repetitive sessions that were going on. I don't think that they dislike each other, but Eriksen left to get away from the system he felt he was stuck in.
I think a comparison can be made here with Coutinho at Liverpool. Both him and Eriksen would thrive in the days when a team could be built around a creative playmaker, but the times have changed, although Modric is instrumental in that role at Real. In many ways I'd prefer to move away from the big data, high press gameplan and return to a more creative intuitive game, as I'd rather watch an artist in action than a bunch of preprogrammed automatons.

I think a comparison can be made here with Coutinho at Liverpool. Both him and Eriksen would thrive in the days when a team could be built around a creative playmaker, but the times have changed, although Modric is instrumental in that role at Real. In many ways I'd prefer to move away from the big data, high press gameplan and return to a more creative intuitive game, as I'd rather watch an artist in action than a bunch of preprogrammed automatons.

I agree. The managers that pre-program their players into automons either don’t have creative enough players to do otherwise or think their tactical brilliance will be the difference maker. Generally speaking, the clubs with the brilliant creative players win the CL and pull off special feats like trebles.

I agree. The managers that pre-program their players into automons either don’t have creative enough players to do otherwise or think their tactical brilliance will be the difference maker. Generally speaking, the clubs with the brilliant creative players win the CL and pull off special feats like trebles.
Absolutely, there needs to be a balance between team structure and openness to harness creativity. The best team in the world for doing this I think (different sport) are the All Blacks.
Many spurs fans think Tottenham realised it in the early sixties team, a good team structure, captained by Dave Mackay, but with allowances for the creative inspiration of Blanchflower, John White and Greaves. That side should have won the equivalent of the CL but they were robbed by dodgy refereeing decisions in the semi finals. They should have won more championships, I always wonder about that and the tragic death of John White, what could have been otherwise.

Last edited:
So, Inter say that little Erik has a shy personality and they have been asking him to be more aggressive.

Yes indeed, it sounds perfect now, but he would have been savaged at the time from not only Spurs fans, but the Spurs hating media.
So are you advocating being led by the drooling masses to the detriment of the club? The masses are ignorant and unreasonable and give you Brexit, Trump and CE 2 years too long on your roster. The masses are there to be led not listened to. Experts and professionals are there to be listened to.

Absolutely, there needs to be a balance between team structure and openness to harness creativity. The best team in the world for doing this I think (different sport) are the All Blacks.
Many spurs fans think Tottenham realised it in the early sixties team, a good team structure, captained by Dave Mackay, but with allowances for the creative inspiration of Blanchflower, John White and Greaves. That side should have won the equivalent of the CL but they were robbed by dodgy refereeing decisions in the semi finals. They should have won more championships, I always wonder about that and the tragic death of John White, what could have been otherwise.
Spurs teams of the 60s absoulutley brilliant. Blanchflower and Mackay two contrasting styles, one the artisan, the other an engine room style of player. Both supreme motivators in their own way.

Watching him against Genoa, and shocked at how poor he is. It's really sad.

Italy should have been a stroll for a player of his ability.

Soft-boy hasn't coped well with his dreams not coming true has he......?

Maybe his old "challenge" wasn't so bad afterall?

Watching him against Genoa, and shocked at how poor he is. It's really sad.

Really sad? Or really amusing?

If he lost his form because Poch ran him into the ground and he simply peaked then I agree, sad. If he just got the hump and wanted to move on and so began to half ass it, thinking he could just turn it back on again like a switch, then it's karma.

Impossible to know which it truly was, unless there is ever anything straight from the horses mouth.

If he lost his form because Poch ran him into the ground and he simply peaked then I agree, sad. If he just got the hump and wanted to move on and so began to half ass it, thinking he could just turn it back on again like a switch, then it's karma.

Impossible to know which it truly was, unless there is ever anything straight from the horses mouth.

Given his shitty attitude towards us in the media once he left...... Fuck him.

No, I am not amused, to be honest. This is a really tragic performance. He looks like a broken man. Almost too scared to try anything worthwhile.

It is true that he was phoning it in for us. Even Mou said he had lost his motivation. I was re-reading the quotes just the other day.

Back
Top Bottom