Europa League 2020-21 - Quest For Glory

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If we (Poch) hadn't bottled semi finals and finals then we'd have a few trophies. The tools have always been there, the craft to use them has been lacking.... till now...
I think Mourinho would have won a few trophies with Poch’s best team - but the current one is not a shade on that so unless we invest in a few key positions this summer don’t think would be so easy for Jose

Do you think Norwich would have beaten us post lockdown?
I didn't think they would beat us pre lockdown. I am an unconfident fan but even I thought we would beat them. I thought we would beat palace too. We seem to either be complacent or under estimate lesser teams. So no, I think we would have beaten them post lockdown. But who expected them to beat us pre lockdown?

I think Mourinho would have won a few trophies with Poch’s best team - but the current one is not a shade on that so unless we invest in a few key positions this summer don’t think would be so easy for Jose
I'm not a Mou guy, but I am pretty sure he'd have won the 2016/17 FA Cup with that squad.

I didn't think they would beat us pre lockdown. I am an unconfident fan but even I thought we would beat them. I thought we would beat palace too. We seem to either be complacent or under estimate lesser teams. So no, I think we would have beaten them post lockdown. But who expected them to beat us pre lockdown?
Fair enough. My point is though, the more time Morurinho gets with these players the harder we are to break down and beat.

Clearly we were too weak to get Top 4 this season. However as you say we had some disasters including injuries and yet we were only 7 points away from top 4. The season started dreadfully but since Mourinho was appointed results put us in 4th place. Therefore it would appear it would not take a much better season to get top 4 and yet it should not need much improvement to be in contention. The players now know what Mourinho wants and if we can improve in the transfer market even though we know we will not spend big then we will be in the hunt for top4.
I like your theory but I feel Chelsea & united will improve so unless we spend well, we will be behind both them & obviously city & Liverpool. I reckon Chelsea is our best hope as there defence is weak. I think mourinho will do well to get 5th but I get people disagreeing & saying we should have got top 4.

But man, the Thursday-Sunday slog is going to get old quick for me. The squad loses a lot of the flexibility/advantages of playing Tuesday/Wednesday going into the weekend.
That seems to divide opinion. I 100% agree where as some would say the above is just a poor excuse.

That seems to divide opinion. I 100% agree where as some would say the above is just a poor excuse.
It is an excuse, but it has a degree of merit. Not that I would want my manager or players saying it out loud, but privately I can understand why it would be more challenging.

I think if getting a point didn't guarantee us europa while a lost meang a non guarantee, we would have won that game.

Jose set us up to play for the draw to assure the most meaningful consequence of that game. That's what a tactical manager does. Manages risk.

Sure we likely would have won. But how crushing would a 90th minute goal by palace on a counter been if Woolwich then won the FA? I would have been devastated. And to be honest I could have seen that happening under poch. I couldn't see that happening with Jose once we scored.

Have faith in a serial winner.

I think if getting a point didn't guarantee us europa while a lost meang a non guarantee, we would have won that game.

Jose set us up to play for the draw to assure the most meaningful consequence of that game. That's what a tactical manager does. Manages risk.

Sure we likely would have won. But how crushing would a 90th minute goal by palace on a counter been if Woolwich then won the FA? I would have been devastated. And to be honest I could have seen that happening under poch. I couldn't see that happening with Jose once we scored.

Have faith in a serial winner.
I get your point but unless you thought we would have lost to Norwich & battered by sheff utd it shows what a dangerous game that thinking is. We will/would have beat them. It worked out in the end so he was right to do what he did. But I think a better team just wins comfortable. Maybe he thought we can win comfortable but let's go for a draw as thats all we need & risk 1 mistake or bad luck or a worldie. But its probably more likely he doesn't have that much confidence in the team so thought settle for a draw as I dont trust us to see it through otherwise.
Rather than yeah we can beat this lot easily but only need a draw so hold off on beating them by more.

Also as I said above. Bad luck or bad decision, silly mistake or a worldie & we don't qualify. It backfires a lot. But it worked this time so fair enough. It does backfire that settling for what you have approach. Like the Norwich game unless we weren't capable of scoring 2 against them. So both ways are gambles. It cost us a chance in the fa cup but worked for a place in europa. You could be right about poch messing up the palace game. But equally I think he would have got us past Norwich with more goals.

Sorry but I don't think jose will be the one to get us trophies. He really struggled in the cups this seson despite people promising me he will win us a cup this season :deledoubt:.
We lost to bloody norwich & got humiliated by red bull. I think was a serial winner is more apt.

I think we'll get some of what we need this summer.

Hopefully, sometimes unbearable football notwithstanding, Mourinho will at least be able to instill a stronger, pragmatic mentality in the squad that will help us see out the important matches where we've stumbled so much previously.

As you've alluded to, I'm much more confident if we reach a semi in our chances to see it through to a trophy under Mourinho than Poch...even if it means 200 minutes of rather shit football.

I have a lot of optimism for the EL this coming season, honestly. Which just means woolwich will lift the FA Cup this weekend and we'll shit all over ourselves in the September qualifier.

:dier:

must of been the last time Norwich won too. we are the gift that keeps on giving. no Co cojones in this team
Must have been when the penny dropped for jose & he realised how average we really are. No more title talk. Woolwich had a crap season but quite a few of us would have taken it. I know I would have.

Back
Top Bottom