Heung-Min Son (손흥민)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I often struggle with him. There was a time where I’d have said he was more desirable than both Mané and Sterling, but both have this tenacity in their game that Son seems to be lacking at present.

You see 11 goals and 10 assists this season in the league, and it seems very unfair to criticise. But I want more consistency from him next season, and less drifting. Alert for every minute he’s on the pitch, and there’s no reason he couldn’t have twice as many goals.

Good midfielders would help Son score 20 goals in the PL.

His pace could be good for 10 goals next season with our counterattacking style.

I often struggle with him. There was a time where I’d have said he was more desirable than both Mané and Sterling, but both have this tenacity in their game that Son seems to be lacking at present.

You see 11 goals and 10 assists this season in the league, and it seems very unfair to criticise. But I want more consistency from him next season, and less drifting Alert for every minute he’s on the pitch, and there’s no reason he couldn’t have twice as many goals.

Son is more dangerous upfront, and probably more effective as a striker than a winger. You mentioned Son's inconsistency. While i agree he's been very inconsistent as a wing player, he has consistently played well upfront as CF, SS or False 9

Son started 3 games this season as a striker (vs Woolwich, aston villa, Palace), and he was great every one of those game, consistently, scoring goals every match( 5 goals/1 assist total in 3 games), won every game.

This is why i want to see Son play upfront more often. Pair up with Kane or just by himself as CF to rest Kane sometimes. Kane will have better season if he can rest few games and have injury free season.

Son is more dangerous upfront, and probably more effective as a striker than a winger. You mentioned Son's inconsistency. While i agree he's been very inconsistent as a wing player, he has consistently played well upfront as CF, SS or False 9

Son started 3 games this season as a striker (vs Woolwich, aston villa, Palace), and he was great every one of those game, consistently, scoring goals every match( 5 goals/1 assist total in 3 games), won every game.

This is why i want to see Son play upfront more often. Pair up with Kane or just by himself as CF to rest Kane sometimes. Kane will have better season if he can rest few games and have injury free season.

I do understand what you mean, and the stats don’t lie, but I would rather see us buy a good back up to Kane, who can come on at 60 mins if he’s tired or not firing. I don’t think making Son (who is one of the regular xi) a striker when Kane goes off is useful player management, or a long term solution.

I think Kane as the focal point up front, with an option to replace him on the bench, is the only way we will be successful next season (and hopefully keep our attackers fit).

Every other top 4 or even top 8 team if I'm being honest (plus Woolwich, since they're only 10th!) Has a backup senior striker to their starting striker who isn't usually in the starting xi.

It is beyond ridiculous that we've operated like this since we let go of Llorente.

Every other top 4 or even top 8 team if I'm being honest (plus Woolwich, since they're only 10th!) Has a backup senior striker to their starting striker who isn't usually in the starting xi.

It is beyond ridiculous that we've operated like this since we let go of Llorente.

Agree, for a club with CL aspirations it's almost laughable. Not just striker either, we don't have any backups for our full-backs. We don't have a proper DM.

The squad management over the last few years has been woeful.

I do understand what you mean, and the stats don’t lie, but I would rather see us buy a good back up to Kane, who can come on at 60 mins if he’s tired or not firing. I don’t think making Son (who is one of the regular xi) a striker when Kane goes off is useful player management, or a long term solution.

Realistically, no good striker will want to come here to be Kane's back up. Good one's are hard to find and has very high premium. Of course, we can buy someone cheap, but IMO those type of player won't help this team much anyway because they won't be as good as Son upfront.

Goal scorer like Son is hard to find and is very expensive if you want to sign someone of that quality. We have plenty of players who can play the wing (Moura, Bergwijn and Lamela, even Lo Celso, Dele, and Sessegnon), but none of them can play striker as well as Son.

I think Kane as the focal point up front, with an option to replace him on the bench, is the only way we will be successful next season (and hopefully keep our attackers fit).

This is what makes a Harry Kane Team. It's like betting all your chips on Kane to score MULTIPLE goals every game. Sometimes, this works great like we saw in games against Newcastle and Leicester, but other times when Kane struggles, whole offense struggles, and we couldn't get anything going on offense.

My money is no striker is signed and we go in to next season with Son as backup to Kane. I think Jose sees Son as a striker more than a wide forward/winger.
Hopefully Troy gets opportunities in the EL next year and shows he is capable of stepping up to mens football at the top level. Not that there is anything wrong with having Sonny as a back up striker but more depth can only be a good thing right?

Hopefully Troy gets opportunities in the EL next year and shows he is capable of stepping up to mens football at the top level. Not that there is anything wrong with having Sonny as a back up striker but more depth can only be a good thing right?

I'd like that too but Parrot is going on loan isn't he?

Personally i defo like another striker signed, a club this size can't seriously compete on all fronts with 1 top striker. All our rivals have backups, even if they're not top class (Origi, Ighalo). At least it's someone who can do a job for you and chip in with a goal or 2 when Kane needs a break.

I believe Mourinho will be prepared to play 2 up front sometimes. This together with the fact that we will have a lot of Europa & League Cup games (assuming we do not get knocked out early) in a condensed period will give opportunities to another striker.

And when I said Harry Kane should be dropped and subbed more often a whole 4 years ago, TFC called me a gooner troll cunt and claimed he should play every second he could walk.

Poch did just that, and the forum applauded it.

Congrats, we broke him.

And when I said Harry Kane should be dropped and subbed more often a whole 4 years ago, TFC called me a gooner troll cunt and claimed he should play every second he could walk.

Poch did just that, and the forum applauded it.

Congrats, we broke him.

He seems to still be one of the world's most dangerous strikers, so I don't think we quite "broke" him yet.

But if we keep going on like this we probably will. Hence the absolute need for a second striker that isn't already in the starting XI.

Realistically, no good striker will want to come here to be Kane's back up. Good one's are hard to find and has very high premium. Of course, we can buy someone cheap, but IMO those type of player won't help this team much anyway because they won't be as good as Son upfront.

Goal scorer like Son is hard to find and is very expensive if you want to sign someone of that quality. We have plenty of players who can play the wing (Moura, Bergwijn and Lamela, even Lo Celso, Dele, and Sessegnon), but none of them can play striker as well as Son.

This is what makes a Harry Kane Team. It's like betting all your chips on Kane to score MULTIPLE goals every game. Sometimes, this works great like we saw in games against Newcastle and Leicester, but other times when Kane struggles, whole offense struggles, and we couldn't get anything going on offense.
Perhaps you’re right with the Kane focal point part. I suppose you look at Liverpool, who are all for the team, and no single part is more important than the other. An exceptionally well oiled machine - that unfortunately at the moment we are not.

As you say, good back ups to a top class striker are tough to come by. I think to an extent, ensuring that Kane is well managed means that someone like Wilson could come in and bag a fair few goals, whilst not expecting to start every game.

I just wouldn’t want to start next season with Son as a back up striker, as LW suffers in his absence. I trust Mourinho to make the right decision.

Perhaps you’re right with the Kane focal point part. I suppose you look at Liverpool, who are all for the team, and no single part is more important than the other. An exceptionally well oiled machine - that unfortunately at the moment we are not.

As you say, good back ups to a top class striker are tough to come by. I think to an extent, ensuring that Kane is well managed means that someone like Wilson could come in and bag a fair few goals, whilst not expecting to start every game.

I just wouldn’t want to start next season with Son as a back up striker, as LW suffers in his absence. I trust Mourinho to make the right decision.

I am not against buying back up striker. I just want Son to be the another focal point of the offense up front. Having both Kane and Son up front will scare any team in PL. Stats say they are the most dangerous scoring duo in PL, and you saw how Woolwich defenders keep making mistake when we had both Kane and Son up front. We could have easily out scored games like one against Bournemouth and palace instead of having frustrating offense.

It's hard for a team to do great things by being just 'one man team', Even GOAT like Messi is helped by players like Suarez upfront.

You said LW suffers in Son's absence, but we have plenty of players who can play LW. What we lack is a striker other than Kane who can score goals because Kane scoring just 1 goal, as we saw in game against palace, is not even enough to win the game sometimes. We need more firepower upfront.

Last edited:
We absolutely need a second striker, it's ridiculous that were pretty much the only team with one recognised striker. Having two strikers will give us more options in terms of tactics and will give us cover for HK if he needs a rest of gets injured.
With the amount of games we're potentially facing we could really do with someone to take some of the pressure off HK particularly in cup games or for the last 15-20 minutes if we're comfortable.
Someone that can work with Son and/or rotate with him would be beneficial.

I am not against buying back up striker. I just want Son to be the another focal point of the offense up front. Having both Kane and Son up front will scare any team in PL. Stats say they are the most dangerous scoring duo in PL, and you saw how Woolwich defenders keep making mistake when we had both Kane and Son up front. We could have easily out scored games like one against Bournemouth and palace instead of having frustrating offense.

It's hard for a team to do great things by being just 'one man team', Even GOAT like Messi is helped by players like Suarez upfront.

You said LW suffers in Son's absence, but we have plenty of players who can play LW. What we lack is a striker other than Kane who can score goals because Kane scoring just 1 goal, as we saw in game against palace, is not even enough to win the game sometimes. We need more firepower upfront.

Kane and Son up front will scare any team in PL

Son you still don't get it. It is not about scaring anyone here. Making as much money 1st. Harry Kane team 2nd. Then would come winning if happens to be.

Last edited:
Kane and Son up front will scare any team in PL

Son you still don't get it. It is not about scaring anyone here. Making as much money 1st. Harry Kane team 2nd. Then would come winning if happens to be.

Son????

You're a 13 Yr old fangirl..... Fuck off!

Back
Top Bottom