Tanguy Ndombele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Think what you like but I’m sticking to facts. Igula Igula is saying that he hasn’t even done a “few pirouettes and a good pass or two” as you put it. He is saying that he has never seen him beat a man and release us with a pass which is bullshit.

I am not arguing whether his talent is over stated, or whether he will come good or not. I am just saying he has shown “flashes of brilliance“ which is where this whole debate started from.

You’ve proved my point in your opening paragraph. I say he has shown flashes of brilliance (beating a player and making a good pass forward). You just word it differently to be condescending but we are saying the same shit. You are agreeing with me.

There have undoubtedly been moments where he’s looked like the player we paid all that money for. The ability is there.

Plenty of other issues up for debate, but I agree that he’s shown flashes of brilliance.

Ndombele has been a total fucking disappointment and if anyone thinks he’s improved us when he played or is massively impressed because he passed it forward
must be mightily impressed by our scouts and chairman over this epic signing.

Personally, I want better.
Whether it’s better from him, or someone else I don’t care, but the fact he has been so crap for so long and now wants out doesn’t bode well for a renaissance.

Some of you have been so desensitised by our shit central midfields over the last 15 years bar a couple of seasons where Dier, Wanyama and Dembele stood up, you have latched onto a non entity and seen a top player because sometimes he turns around instead of passing backwards.

It’s not enough. Nothing he has done is enough, so deserves time or not, is another argument, but please stop clinging to silly little clips of one bit of play in 1000 minutes of game time as proof of anything.

Aurier has outplayed him this season, think about that.

He’s clearly very talented, but so have many been. I remember Alvaro Recoba, he had everything to be possibly the best player in the world at the time. But his attitude stank and he was never fully match fit, he rotted on Inters bench for a lot of his career.

I would personally like to see him stay and try to work hard next season, but would be open to a swap for someone willing to fight for the shirt, even if slightly less talented

IF (its a big if) we could get him to play i think he would move us on, but he didn't play for Poch and hasn't played for Jose 2 very different managers, so maybe he just doesn't want to be here ?
have the club helped in settle here ? (i know they get enough so should do it for themselves, but we laid out a lot of money so a little more to help him settle might have helped ?)

has his attitude always been terrible or is it just here ? if its just here maybe the club could sort it out, if he goes we need enough money for him to get Grealish, we need someone in midfield that turns ,goes forward and can see a pass, there are not many of them about

has his attitude always been terrible or is it just here ? if its just here maybe the club could sort it out, if he goes we need enough money for him to get Grealish, we need someone in midfield that turns ,goes forward and can see a pass, there are not many of them about

Apparently there have been problems with his attitude elsewhere.

The onus is on him to do his job properly and it just looks like he doesn't give a shit.

Apparently there have been problems with his attitude elsewhere.

The onus is on him to do his job properly and it just looks like he doesn't give a shit.
Exactly. In the real world, most people have their ups and downs in their working life and they power through, because they know they'll get the push if they don't. I wouldn't have lasted 45 minutes at my job if I had acted like Tanguy, I'm still there 45 years later!

'Flashes of brilliance' in over one thousand minutes of play might be OK for an academy kid, but it's not enough from a £60 million signing - let's not delude ourselves.

If he wants to stay and fight for his place, knuckle down and get fit next season then that's welcome. What we cannot do is have a £60 million player on our books who is constantly unfit or on the bench - we can't afford it, we aren't Man City. If that's his attitude (and no-one here knows for sure) then we should sell him and let someone else have a go, even if they have a little less ability.

The guy's attitude is terrible and I don't see how that can be permanently turned around.

I wish he'd just fuck off so we can get back some of the money we paid for him.
If his attitude’s always been tricky, it takes longer to turn around - if you’ve been able to ‘coast’ all your life because it comes easy, it takes longer to build resilience and the required personal beliefs when you come up against failure and disappointment.
By player accounts (not media-hating), Poch and Jose are two of the better man-managers around so - as Poch is now gone - it probably depends if Jose thinks he can help him to change, or can see the benefit of doing so (or is forced to do so by DL). If he does stay, he’ll get more game time next year, I’m sure, but - short of some epiphany - it will be a long time until we see the player we hoped we were getting.

On top of all this, I’m not sure (but base this on conjecture and guesswork) that Tanguy sees the benefit of changing what he does to become what Jose needs for the team. Look at how Lucas, Sonny, GLC, Kane have changed their approach during the games (particularly defensively) and then think about those on the fringes or out: Dele, Tanguy, Sessegnon. You can see the change in Davies, Aurier, Dav and Dier, too - can we really see Tanguy doing the chasing to and from that’s required? Would we rather have a team that works together for the manager, or one that builds its image around a very-talented player who refuses to adapt to the manager’s methods? (Same applies to Dele, I guess).

Let's be honest, Ndombele's "insane class moments" have been greatly exaggerated. he did a few pirouttes and a good pass or two and like one goal and people are so desperate for him to not be a flop they build him up way too much.

It's such obvious over compensation that it really highlights that even the Ndombele-defence force knows that he's been beyond bad, they simply remain in the denial stage, unlike those of us who have moved on to acceptance.

Talent is nothing if you eat yourself into obesity, can't run and don't apply yourself. Ask Cassano, Ravel, Taraabt or Balotelli. They've got way better highlight reels than mr fatty liver up there.
The Taraabt comparison occured to me let night and could the most suitable. Let's hope his career doesn't end up like that.

I'd sell him now personally. ok, you run the risk that he might become the next Pogba and we rue selling him.

But at least we will have the money to re-invest in the squad, and his stock is still high so we will recoup most of what we paid for him.

If we don't sell him we simply can't afford or take the risk of him spending another season loafing around in and out of the squad putting in 10 minutes cameos and drawing his 200k a week, it will also become impossible to sell him at that point.

He's gotta go, he's a bad professional and there is nothing worse.

Tbh it always seemed to be Lo Celso or Fernandes, we signed Ndombele very early on in the window

Ndombele was Poch’s priority signing and Levy spent big early in the window to being him in. We have to question our due diligence because stories about his poor fitness and lazy attitude have been around for a while, long before we signed him.

I’m always wary when we spend big on a player, the type of players who are truly worth huge fees generally have a whole host of big clubs after them but nobody else made an offer for Ndombele. We got suckered. Lyon got their revenge for when we fleeced them over Hugo.

Ndombele has been a total fucking disappointment and if anyone thinks he’s improved us when he played or is massively impressed because he passed it forward
must be mightily impressed by our scouts and chairman over this epic signing.

Personally, I want better.
Whether it’s better from him, or someone else I don’t care, but the fact he has been so crap for so long and now wants out doesn’t bode well for a renaissance.

Some of you have been so desensitised by our shit central midfields over the last 15 years bar a couple of seasons where Dier, Wanyama and Dembele stood up, you have latched onto a non entity and seen a top player because sometimes he turns around instead of passing backwards.

It’s not enough. Nothing he has done is enough, so deserves time or not, is another argument, but please stop clinging to silly little clips of one bit of play in 1000 minutes of game time as proof of anything.

Aurier has outplayed him this season, think about that.

Yep great post.

Do we want mediocrity?

What I will add is that buying Ndombele seemed a master stroke.

What has gone wrong is too symptomatic of us as a club in the last decade, give or take 3 or 4 years.

I've said it about 100 times. 200K a week. This dude is on 200k A WEEK! if he doesn't want to be here and fight for a spot then go back to France you lazy shit. You signed a contract here to come to a better league and prove yourself. All that happened was he got fouled a few times, sulked and now wants out. Fuck him. Let him go. Re-invest his money in a couple young up and coming stars.

It’s like good players come here to lose their potential
Certainly seems that way at times.

In the same way good players go to Woolwich to coast on good wages.

Only interested in us, but you are spot on with how poor Ndombele has been. It’s been such a bad season, I question whether we’ll get more than 40 mil for him.

It’s like good players come here to lose their potential

If Mourinho can ultimately change that then it will be a successful tenure.

What we have certainly seen is that as far as Pochettino took us, he did not or was not able of creating an individual or collective winning mentality.

And invariably that comes from consistently high level performance and often that's derived from nurturing home grown or acquired potential.

I know it isn't easy but we seem very good at failing to do it.

Back
Top Bottom