Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What pundits had us down for third place I must have missed that one.
Whether Sancho moves to them or not utd are starting to put it together, I think he will go there as they are one of only three teams who can afford it.

It was on social media about how Lampard has overs over last season.

They appear to moving in the right direction but it appeared that way in Jose’s first two seasons at them

Skriniar would probably be the best defender in our squad, but do we have "space" for him? (Hang on...)

What I mean is that Alderweireld and Dier signed new deals, which would mean that they expect or the club implied that they both would play at least more than half of the games. + Sanchez is also regarded (at least I think) as more than a mere bench warmer.

If Skriniar would join, I can't see us keeping all of them happy.

Liverpool buy shrewdly. we don't. we could've had mane if levy paid him what he wanted

You are right - Son, Alderwield,Ali, Eriksen, Vertoghen, Lloris, Dembele are not shrewd signings where as Karius, Minmato, Shaqri where.

They have had more market success than us recently but they are not perfect by any means.

And hindsight is a wonderful thing - everyone thought Mane at £34 million was too much. That was early in the window and it became apparent that market had massively changed by the end of it.

Havertz just had a great season in the Bundesliga he is more than hype. He is also doing it at a younger age without the off field BS of Ndombele.

Ziyech may not have the hype of Ndombele but he has shown more, for a longer period of time without the off field BS.

No we can't match the spending of United and Chelsea, but right now we can't even match teams like Inter either. We are currently competing with Everton for players and hoping that the player will reject that move so we might be able to beat them out.

I think there should be a level between United/Chelsea and the players that we are linked to. I don't get why so many fans want to consistently crap on the idea that our club can be ambitious.

We are in for the same player as Everton - oh the horror.

As for ambition - it is not, it’s the usual summer clamour for high profile, high status signings.

We had that last summer and the window was a disaster. As I said before what matters is getting the right players in. We need a defensive midfielder - Hojberg has performed well in that Carrick role in the league. We desperately need to strengthen that area and on paper he does that. City have just signed Ake from a relegated club. The fee isn’t large - does it matter. No it doesn’t because it addresses the weakness they have and on paper is a good signing.

Again stop focusing on status and glamour - it’s about have we or are we addressing weaknesses and is that player better than we have already.

Last edited:
That’s because we do fumble around, it’s a known fact. United signed Fernandes in Jan who pretty much single handily dragged them to a CL place. It’s signings like that which elevate teams.

it is not a know fact that is an opinion.

United were after Fernandes last summer and didn’t get him. Does that not qualify as fumbling?

Go and ask if United fans think Ed Woodwood is a shrewd market operator?

The cherry picking at play here is quite something. United have been a disaster in the transfer market since Fergie left but suddenly have set the standard with Fernandes.

ok

Skriniar not in the starting XI tonight. :levywhoa:

EeWl_zQXkAAQrBd

We are in for the same player as Everton - oh the horror.

As for ambition - it is not, it’s the usual summer clamour for high profile, high status signings.

We had that last summer and the window was a disaster. As I said before what matters is getting the right players in. We need a defensive midfielder - Hojberg has performed well in that Carrick role in the league. We desperately need to strengthen that area and on paper he does that. City have just signed Ake from a relegated club. The fee isn’t large - does it matter. No it doesn’t because it addresses the weakness they have and on paper is a good signing.

Again stop focusing on status and glamour - it’s about have we or we addressing weakness and is that player better than we have already.

I am not focused on status or glamour I am focused on quality.

PEH is being signed 100% because of his price. He isn’t even a true DM but he is the best option we can get for the money. Sorry if I don’t get excited because we are signing guys that are adequate.

Last season is a perfect example why are we signing Sessegnon for 30 million if he can’t even make it as a back-up? That wasn’t a glamour signing it was straight out dumb because he was a guy we targeted and could get for the right price rather than spending properly and bringing in an actual solution.

Again if the hope isn’t top 4 then fine come out and say that but Levy keeps talking about being world class, Jose keeps talking about us being Top 4/CL so if that is the case why is it out of line to expect us to sign Top 4/CL players rather than PEH, Max Aarons and Kim Min-Jae?

it is not a know fact that is an opinion.

United were after Fernandes last summer and didn’t get him. Does that not qualify as fumbling?

Go and ask if United fans think Ed Woodwood is a shrewd market operator?

The cherry picking at play here is quite something. United have been a disaster in the transfer market since Fergie left but suddenly have set the standard with Fernandes.

ok

Exactly. Woodward has effed up and his fans rightly call him out for it.

But here our chairman fucks up and we are supposed to with here and say “please sir can we have some more shit pie.”

Skriniar would probably be the best defender in our squad, but do we have "space" for him? (Hang on...)

What I mean is that Alderweireld and Dier signed new deals, which would mean that they expect or the club implied that they both would play at least more than half of the games. + Sanchez is also regarded (at least I think) as more than a mere bench warmer.

If Skriniar would join, I can't see us keeping all of them happy.

Not only do we have space for him he could make up for the stupid Dier signing by making it much easier to sell him.

Punt useless Dier then you have a rotation of Skriniar, Toby and Sanchez. Toby and Skriniar are good enough to do the heavy lifting for Sanchez and then we can pair them for the big games.

Even in Cup games Tanganga can handle the ball playing for Sanchez so that pairing could work as well.

A lot of chat saying we shouldn't as fans, be wanting glamour signings or star names.

Well sorry, but as a fan, especially a fan of a big club, I get excited by the thought of big names joining my team.. It gets me hard.
Isn't that part of what being a football fan is all about? Excitement?

Why should we just be happy watching our rivals cherry pick all the best players?

Why should we be expected to be grateful being in the market for cheap mediocrity while we post higher annual profits than everyone else?

One thing Spurs have been famous for down the years is signing big names players.

We may not have always been prolific trophy winners. But at least we used to make a bloody effort in the transfer market and gave our fans excitement.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom