Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Aurier isn’t great but there are worse, he is just wildly inconsistent. As a back up I can live with.

If he is willing to be a back up sure, but he doesn't seem to have that mentality. I could be wrong but with the way he plays out there he seems to think he is world class.

I think he could be a good player for the EL. Against those clubs his defense wouldn't be that much of an issue as we should be able to deal with them even with him doing nothing and he would be a nightmare for poor teams to deal with when he is running at them.

lost many key players
In the season you’re discussing, in trying to think which ‘many key players’ you’re talking about? Walker had left the season before, Dembele left after?

Obviously, in hindsight, we needed to sign players, but we didn’t get the fortune that Liverpool had with injuries and so on (or our squad was unbalanced). It’s not just about investing, it’s about buying in the right areas. We didn’t need a LW - but we got Sessegnon; we’ve needed a second RB and backup striker for ages, but have got N’Dombele instead and sold Janssen.

Surely as part of a loan is game time? What’s the point of loaning him out and not playing he should be gauranteed playing every week.

In reality no club is gonna agree to that... Least of all for some kid with no track record at senior level.

Alderweireld, Son and Eriksen were much better players than Hojbjerg when signed with a ton more upside. Wanyama was a proper DM.

The issue is not that he comes from Southampton the issue is that he is not a proper DM that we need, he is not at a level to get us back to top 4 that we should be looking to acquire and he is not a young player that will develop.

He is a fine addition. Yes he makes us better but we should have more ambition than just being better, we should be trying to get back to the top 4. being better than Winks/Sissoko should not be the bar we are trying to get over.

LOL at your stupid Lo Celso vendetta. He has been great for us and thank god we have him to make up for PEH passing issues.

I am not sure how you would compare Alli who is still younger than Hojbjerg. I would like us to make some signings like that. Bringing in some young guys with talent to see if we can develop them. Florentino Luis for example is a guy who is a proper DM. Bring him in and we have a chance to get a top 4 talent.

Yes you are correct that making poor signings is a bad thing but to try and act as though those signings were bad because they were expensive and not because they are the same thing we always do in bringing in good, not great talent for big money is laughable.

Alderwield has just bombed in Spain and A.Madrid where desperate to be rid. But that’s not the point - the point is that they all cost little and either contract issues or there clubs wanted rid. Your argument is that is the sole reason he is being brought in when in fact he is clearly a good player, a good age and is a shrewd purchase. City do that with Ake, great, we do that with Hoejberg and it’s an unambiguous outrage.

And define what a proper DM is? I used to have plenty of our supporters tell me the same about Michael ‘what does he do’ Carrick and that Mendez should be a head of him. He is an interceptor not a tracker - both achieve the same outcome and an interceptor is probably more conducive to the counter style we have adopted.

Why do I think if he played for Dortmund and cost £50 million you would have a different opinion of him? The fact they you suggest a 20 year old high profile foreign league playing player ( who has the grand total of 15 games to his name says it all) And leads nicely onto Lo Celso - who is a perfect example of someone living of the price tag and glamour. He had a very average season at best but like Ndombele that glamour and price still gives them the pass.

As for big money signings - it’s not something we have had much success in. Our success has been in youth and value - I want us to focus on that market because that is what has yielded us success.

I don't think there are any such obligations in a loan deal. That has to depend on the manager at the loaning club. If the loaned in player ends up not delivering but is guaranteed game time over a player that does then that could sink a season.

The Millwall player spoke about being patient with Troy and giving him time to adapt to the Championship so that is good.
Okay, but I would have just thought that taking a player on loan as far as his club is concerned (us) it would be in our interest to have the player playing? The one thing that is good is that Millwall will be up and at it in most games so the lad will have to show up there will be no hiding place.

Okay, but I would have just thought that taking a player on loan as far as his club is concerned (us) it would be in our interest to have the player playing? The one thing that is good is that Millwall will be up and at it in most games so the lad will have to show up there will be no hiding place.
Like, I assume that Millwall showed intentions of giving him playing time when courting us and him for the loan. Otherwise we wouldn't have let him go there. But no loan plan ever survives the first couple of games.

CCV a few seasons back is a perfect example. In the fall we loaned him to Sheffield United (I think) and he got zero games. Recalled him in January and sent him to Ipswich and he ran their defence for the rest of the season.

What pundits had us down for third place I must have missed that one.
Whether Sancho moves to them or not utd are starting to put it together, I think he will go there as they are one of only three teams who can afford it.

3rd: 21/24
4th: 1/24
Non-top 4: 2/24

Liverpool didn't add much because they built a solid foundation of a team that was competing for the and title and wasn't losing key players. Plus they filled a hole with Adrian as you mentioned. It may not have been a huge add but fixed the issue they had with Karius and Mingnolet previously.

We were a team that had fallen short, lost many key players and starting to show signs of dropping in form.

Trying to compare the two teams is laughable.

And I am fine if we are going the youth route. More than fine actually. Bring in players like Florentino Luis, Camavinga, Bellingham, Benrahma, Eze etc. I would have no issue seeing moves like that. i can see the ambition in adding and developing those types of players. But we aren't even doing that.

We are bringing in ok level players that maintain us at a top 6 level but don't give us much chance to move up the table or become more competitive.

Liverpool have no squad and there large spend was financed by the sale of their best player.

And which key players did we lose exactly? We lost Dembele and replaced him with Ndombele. we signed no one but still had the team that finished 2nd the season before. The coach was a major factor on the decline which can be seen with the reversal of form since Jose came.

So the solution to you is a 20 year old, a 17 year old, and 18 year old and a Championship player with no Premier league experience. Are you being serious?

Alderwield has just bombed in Spain and A.Madrid where desperate to be rid. But that’s not the point - the point is that they all cost little and either contract issues or there clubs wanted rid. Your argument is that is the sole reason he is being brought in when in fact he is clearly a good player, a good age and is a shrewd purchase. City do that with Ake, great, we do that with Hoejberg and it’s an unambiguous outrage.

And define what a proper DM is? I used to have plenty of our supporters tell me the same about Michael ‘what does he do’ Carrick and that Mendez should be a head of him. He is an interceptor not a tracker - both achieve the same outcome and an interceptor is probably more conducive to the counter style we have adopted.

Why do I think if he played for Dortmund and cost £50 million you would have a different opinion of him? The fact they you suggest a 20 year old high profile foreign league playing player ( who has the grand total of 15 games to his name says it all) And leads nicely onto Lo Celso - who is a perfect example of someone living of the price tag and glamour. He had a very average season at best but like Ndombele that glamour and price still gives them the pass.

As for big money signings - it’s not something we have had much success in. Our success has been in youth and value - I want us to focus on that market because that is what has yielded us success.

Why do you keep bringing up Carrick? PEH is not as good as Carrick.

I would say a true DM is someone who is able to win the ball in tackles, get around the pitch to cover up for the other MFers allowing them to take chances up the field, read the play so that they spot the danger areas defensively before they happen, have the confidence and ability to make the tough tackles without fouling.

The reason you think that if he played at Dortmund and cost 50 million I would change my mind is because that is the argument you want to have so you are projecting it on to me. It is an easier argument for you so despite the fact I have said nothing to indicate that is true you make it up.

I, and others, have legit concerns about PEH. You blowing them off as him not being from Dortmund is silly. My concerns are he has shown to be a little loose with his passing, he seems to be more of a 8 forced into a DM role than a pure DM and with the way I would like us to play- with Lo Celso and another creative/attack minded/passing MF- I would prefer a player that is better in that classical

Ultimately I don't think he is a terrible signing and is a clear improvement over Winks and Sissoko, but I think he is a 5/6 out of 10 and that we should be looking to get a 8 out of 10. He is a guy that improves the squad because of how weak we are not because of everything he brings. If this was the old Spurs team with solid players all over the field I think I would also be happier with the signing but the fact is we are a pretty mediocre squad overall so adding mediocre player that will do a job but not shine is not really that exciting.

And although you may hate it I don't think it is too much to ask that as Spurs fans we have a little excitement in out transfer especially when excitement is so lacking in the squad overall, but maybe I am expecting too much.

Liverpool have no squad and there large spend was financed by the sale of their best player.

And which key players did we lose exactly? We lost Dembele and replaced him with Ndombele. we signed no one but still had the team that finished 2nd the season before. The coach was a major factor on the decline which can be seen with the reversal of form since Jose came.

So the solution to you is a 20 year old, a 17 year old, and 18 year old and a Championship player with no Premier league experience. Are you being serious?

Who did we lose?

Walker, Demebele, Eriksen wanted out and was showing signs of indifferent play, Rose started falling off, Jan and Toby were no longer the best CB pair in the league, Wanyama was crushed by injuries

Are you seriously trying to imply that we didn't need to add during those two transfer windows????

My solution isn't adding those guys I am saying if we did that at least it looks like a plan to get back to the top 4 which is better than our current track of adding meh pieces and hoping that we get top 6.

Woodward really only has fuck ups.

Levy has developed the clubs infrastructure and adopted a model that built a side that could compete with the elite despite not having the resources of those club and when it had massively expanded its liabilities.

If fuck up means a club with the sixth highest revenues in the league finishing 6th then I think it’s time to take a step back.
Compete with the elite? 6th highest revenue? I think your priorities and expectations are different from most Spurs supporters.

Back
Top Bottom