Mourinho Vs Pep

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who is better

• Mourinho

• Pep

Results are only viewable after voting.
Which manager would be most likely to get us a trophy? It's something that's evaded a lot of managers for a very long time. That manager wins the crown.

Fortunately, we at least get to put one of them to the test ...

I think the most likely thing is that neither win a trophy with this group of players.

I think Pep is more likely because if he came here he would have to have a stone cold lock of a deal with Levy to spend or he wouldn't come or just leave. He is not like Jose where he has to take what he can get at this point so would be willing to make concessions to get a job.

I also think that Pep's style is much more likely to produce long term results making us much more competitive in a multitude of competitions increasing our chances of winning a trophy.

Which manager would be most likely to get us a trophy? It's something that's evaded a lot of managers for a very long time. That manager wins the crown.

Fortunately, we at least get to put one of them to the test ...

That’s easy Mourinho, Pep would need players we can’t afford and even then it’s questionable what trophies we can win with any manager given our resources (I am referring to Prem and CL, we can win a FA or LC)

As others have said - assuming no change in our ownership I'd much much rather have Mourinho at the helm than Guardiola. Pep gets teams playing nicely but has had an embarassment of riches at his disposal everywhere he's been.

José can get an underdog winning, Pep has never been the underdog.

It'll be very interesting to see what Mourinho is actually able to achieve at Spurs by the end of his tenure. We're one of his hardest projects.

I think it’s really close between the two but what José did at Porto is absolutely amazing. Treble with a UEFA Cup one year and then the double with a Champions League the next. The tiebreaker may be who wins a Euro or World Cup if and when Pep manages Spain and José manages Portugal.

Pep is considered among the most influential, brightest footballing minds this century.
Literally, could never stand the guy: ‘brightest footballing minds’ - with his billion pound team never reaching CL semi-final? Having been absolute ‘also-rans’ against ‘no-net-spend’ Liverpool this year? It’s beginning to look a bit like he doesn’t have the tactical skill to win the most important games.
He’s not as abrasive as Jose, which is why he has lasted longer at clubs, but let’s not forget that BM have improved since he left; and that at City he has innumerable wealth with which to buy the very best players and still can’t get as far in the CL as we have with our apparently ‘champo’ level players. In fact, Redknapp got that far with one WC player and Peter Crouch!
PSG or retirement next for him as I doubt he’d want to take on a ‘lesser team’.
We should probably wait and see how Jose does here before we judge, but Jose has a wider range of achievements.

Last edited:
I think they are both great, but certainly not flawless, managers.

Correct.

A nonsense comparison because it always depends on what you prefer

Ronaldo or Messi?

Woods or Nicklaus?

O'Sullivan or Hendry?

Sugar Ray Leonard or Hagler?

These lists and comparisons are endless.

What cannot be argued is the respective brilliance they all bring in their own right.

Pep's teams play attacking football that is frequently a joy to watch.
But after last night, the pattern is clear. The "heir to Cruyff", the "footballing philosopher", is a bottle job in the biggest matches.
If Pep is not prepared to stick to his philosophy when he has one of the most expensively & corruptly assembled squads in world football, plays De Bruyne as a right-winger, and picks all three of Gundogan, Rodri and Fernandinho leaving the creative sparks of Mahrez, the Silvas and Foden on the bench, then he's a coward.
Yes, a good manager should introduce tactics to counter the threat of a team like Bayern in their current imperious form. But Lyon?
FFS. If Shitty had their best players out there, playing the 4-3-3 formation they play week in, week out, they would have mullered Lyon. Or at least gone down playing creative, exciting, football.
I often find Mourinho's football boring to watch. But he is most definitely not a bottle job. And I would trust him to implement a tactical plan to beat better sides far more than I would Guardiola.
I can see Jose watching last night's clusterfuck with a huge and knowing grin on his face. Bring on next season's mind games.
:mourbringit::mourlmao:

Last edited:
Jose, because love him or hate him, he's our manager now and that's enough to get my vote. And I still remember the Harry Kane team crack, so Pep can do one!

Last edited:
Both have managed clubs that tend to be the biggest or best financially (or quality wise) in the leagues they manage.

I don't think using the 'only managed top clubs' stick is a fair one though. They are elite managers, of course the biggest and best teams are going to want them to manage them.

Guardiola has won more - but you could easily argue that Mourinho has won more impressively (with regards to clubs managed).

Guardiolas teams have always played the better football - but then you could argue that Mourinho tends. for the most part, to get the best out of what he's got.

I think both have history of improving countless players and making them better and turning them into winners.

I think both should just be appreciated for being two of the greatest managers in football.
Mourinho won the treble with Porto, the ultimate underdog team.

That’s something Pep has never done, he’s always had an expensive top squad.

But having said that, I would rather watch Pep’s football over Mourinho’s any day.

Mourinho won the treble with Porto, the ultimate underdog team.

That’s something Pep has never done, he’s always had an expensive top squad.

But having said that, I would rather watch Pep’s football over Mourinho’s any day.

Porto are one of the most successful teams in Portuguese football. Winning the league and domestic cups is no achievement.

But I've already said winning the CL with them, even with the horrific cheating, was a superb achievement. Monaco didn't stand a chance.

Pep is considered among the most influential, brightest footballing minds this century.

Mourinho has had a very successful career, that's all I can say about him. No legacy whatsover.
I think most coaches consider Jose to be among the most influential and brightest footballing minds this century. He has developed counter attacking football as much as Pep has Cruyffian total football.
I think people like to watch Pep-ball more than Mou-ball but that does not mean he has no legacy. Its like a football arms race. Defensive,organisational teams respond to great attacking teams and vice versa.

Back
Top Bottom