Mourinho Vs Pep

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who is better

• Mourinho

• Pep

Results are only viewable after voting.
Porto are one of the most successful teams in Portuguese football. Winning the league and domestic cups is no achievement.

But I've already said winning the CL with them, even with the horrific cheating, was a superb achievement. Monaco didn't stand a chance.

They went through Man Utd, Lyon, Deportivo and Monaco to win, and needed huge slices of luck at nearly every stage.

Man Utd had the wrongly disallowed Scholes goal.
Deportivo had their best CB Jorge Andrade sent off in the first leg for a nothing incident, he was badly missed In the 2nd. Monaco were without their injured captain and best player Ludovic Giuly (Went on to win with Barca in 2006 for the final.

Several of those Porto players went on to get big moves, achieved big things at club level and were the backbone of the Euro 2004 runners up and 2006 World Cup semi finalists. They certainly weren’t a flash in the pan.

Inter had several world class players and Mourinho put it together for a golden run. I believe he was at his absolute apex in 2010.

CL wise he absolutely failed at Chelsea, Madrid and Utd.

Pep created the best club side most of us have ever seen , they formed the backbone of the best international side that most of us have seen. His legacy in not just what he won but his coaching influencing the next generation. I do think as harsh as it sounds he didn’t achieve the ultimate objective.

I think this is all moot because £4£ Klopp and Simeone have been the best coaches over the past decade, and you’d have to throw Zidane in there too.

Mourinho treble at inter is better than anything Pep did at Barca IMO, That Barca team was created over 25 years and was probably already the best team in the world and yet to peak ,, Avram Grant would have been a serial winner with that team, Pep added to it but there are others who deserve more credit for that Barca team, nobody could of done what Mourinho did at Inter or Porto his last league title win with Chelsea wasn't to shabby either.

Pep come up short at both Bayern and City IMO.

They went through Man Utd, Lyon, Deportivo and Monaco to win, and needed huge slices of luck at nearly every stage.

Man Utd had the wrongly disallowed Scholes goal.
Deportivo had their best CB Jorge Andrade sent off in the first leg for a nothing incident, he was badly missed In the 2nd. Monaco were without their injured captain and best player Ludovic Giuly (Went on to win with Barca in 2006 for the final.

Several of those Porto players went on to get big moves, achieved big things at club level and were the backbone of the Euro 2004 runners up and 2006 World Cup semi finalists. They certainly weren’t a flash in the pan.

Inter had several world class players and Mourinho put it together for a golden run. I believe he was at his absolute apex in 2010.

CL wise he absolutely failed at Chelsea, Madrid and Utd.

Pep created the best club side most of us have ever seen , they formed the backbone of the best international side that most of us have seen. His legacy in not just what he won but his coaching influencing the next generation. I do think as harsh as it sounds he didn’t achieve the ultimate objective.

I think this is all moot because £4£ Klopp and Simeone have been the best coaches over the past decade, and you’d have to throw Zidane in there too.

Simeone is so great coach but it's somewhat generous to put him that far up there.

I think United will win things in their future without Mourinho at the helm, yes.

Just like I think Porto, Inter Milan, Chelsea and Real Madrid will continue to do.

Just like Jerry also believes Barcelona. Bayern and Man City will continue to do so without Guardiola.

Top managers tend to manage the best and most successful clubs - who will continue to win with or without said top managers.
You are talking horse shit. Stop it, go watch some snooker.

Considering Ole Gunnar Solsjkaer of all managers could pretty much get a worse Man Utd squad to a Europa League final tomorrow. I'd say it would be likely, yes.

I don't think Guardiola would have done any worse if he had taken over from FA Cup winner Louis van Gaal and spent the same £370,000,000.

Clueless

Weirdly enough, people in Porto seem to hold AVBs team in higher regard, the 2010-11 team is celebrated more. When I went to tour the Dragoa about 5 years ago, AVB had a much bigger section celebrating him than Jose.
But winning the CL in 2004 meant infinitely more than winning another Europa League in 2011.

Last edited:
There are only a few actual great managerial achievements this centuary and 2 of them belong to Mourinho. His CL wins with Porto and Inter hark back to another era. Pep’s doesn’t even hold that accolade in Spain - what Simeone has achieved with A.Madrid is far more of a noteworthy achievement that what Pep did with Barca.

Simeone is so great coach but it's somewhat generous to put him that far up there.

Simeone is a demonstration that the inference of "if he's good with a less lavish squad, he'd win everything if he were financially backed" isn't always true.

Atletico have grown by leaps and bounds as a business and transfer market force, but on the field they're less than they were when Gabi and Juanfran and Diego Godin and those guys were just an impenetrable collective.

Shame about that fucking Ramos header.

Realistically second was the highest possible that season as Man. City were light years ahead of 'the rest' (100 points, won 85% of their league games.. Ridiculous).
Hang on.

Did you see the players Jose had and the money he spent?

De Gea, Mata, Martial, Rooney, Herrera and Rashford were all established players, he then spent another £420 millino to finish second?

What does that say about his purchasing?

Back
Top Bottom