Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yes, it was a whore's abortion. I am not trying to be glib, but you cannot compare Pep with Poch. Pep has been a stinking failure in the CL over the last 9 years, but in that time, he has still managed to win trophy after trophy while serving up fabulously entertaining football. He is a flawed genius, whereas Poch is just a very good coach.
All coaches need the absolute trust and respect of their players.
Leeds players still bought into Bielsa and his psychopathic ways despite missing out at the last hurdle last season, and reaped the benefits with promotion this season. But historically, Bielsa has lost the confidence of other groups of players and been sacked.
When players challenged Ferguson - eg Stam and Keane - he got rid asap.
I lost a huge amount of respect for Pep last night. His team selection and tactics were a betrayal of everything he's spent years showing and telling us he stood for. And his stubborn refusal to acknowledge he'd fucked up meant Sterling missing a sitter was about the only clear cut chance they had. If he'd gone with his normal 4-3-3 stuffed full of creative sparks, they'd probably have made 5 or 6 great opportunities. And if they still lost, at least the fans would have thought "we gave it our best".
My point is that some senior players may have lost some confidence and respect for Pep last night. KDB did not look happy.
It's a very fine line for all coaches.
When our players bought into Poch and the high press, we literally blew away some great teams despite some flawed game plans. But once the doubts crept in, and Poch started to lose his own focus and MoJo, we became a shadow of what we had so recently been.
And yes, some of the players were / are not good enough at the very top level.

Ronald Koeman in the frame as interim for one season then Xavi returns to take over :

I reckon Poch is Roma bound.

And the following extract from the article is why Poch may be better off going to Italy.

Instead, Koeman may oversee a "year of transition" before ex-Barca midfielder Xavi, currently in charge of Qatari club Al Sadd, would arrive.

I don't think deep down Poch wants the Barca job, just deep down he knows that the timing hasn't worked out great for any of the other top jobs around and to be honest if Barca are doing a rebuild he would perfect for that IMO. Just if you're Barca you probably feel uneasy about appointing him due to the comments he's made in the past.

If you're looking around Europe at the big jobs there aren't too many options

Juventus
Appointed an unqualified rookie who has been in charge of the Under 23's for 9 days. This was actually the right call though because Juve have an old squad full of a lot of egos and don't think they'll adapt to Poch's style well, actually think with the amount of leaders in that dressing room Pirlo might be okay

PSG
I am sure that this would be his ideal move, but with PSG winning the league at a canter again and in the CL semi finals don't think Tuchel is going anywhere anytime soon - would have to wait another year at least

Bayern
Kovac was sacked around the same time as Poch so it was too soon, had Flick failed he could of taken over at the end of the season but Bayern look like the best team in Europe at the moment so I don't think this one will be opening up anytime soon

Real Madrid
Even though they won the league any little rough patch Perez will pull the trigger. However with how rubbish Barca are looking at the moment it is hard to see them not winning another league title next year - probably won't open up for a year at least.

Atletico
I think Simeone will look to leave in the next couple years, but that is probably too long for Poch to wait especially considering it isn't really the ideal job (finances aren't massive, still not really one of the 'top jobs'

Man City
Could be the one, I reckon this is Pep's last season at City no matter what happens (one last stab at the CL then off to Juve) does he want to wait though?

Man United
Looked to be the one for a while but United like to stick by their managers and Ole has turned it around, one of the likelier options but with CL secured Ole is safe for a while

Chelsea
Lampard will be given a little more time than any other Chelsea manager, have made a few strong signings and they're no longer really aiming for the title as their goal so as long as they make top 4 they'll be safe

Liverpool
Klopp going nowhere, once he steps down Gerrard will take over

So does he wait for one of these? IMO I would rather than taking a job like Roma that is a sideways step from us.

I don't think deep down Poch wants the Barca job, just deep down he knows that the timing hasn't worked out great for any of the other top jobs around and to be honest if Barca are doing a rebuild he would perfect for that IMO. Just if you're Barca you probably feel uneasy about appointing him due to the comments he's made in the past.

Juventus
Appointed an unqualified rookie who has been in charge of the Under 23's for 9 days. This was actually the right call though because Juve have an old squad full of a lot of egos and don't think they'll adapt to Poch's style well, actually think with the amount of leaders in that dressing room Pirlo might be okay

PSG
I am sure that this would be his ideal move, but with PSG winning the league at a canter again and in the CL semi finals don't think Tuchel is going anywhere anytime soon - would have to wait another year at least

Bayern
Kovac was sacked around the same time as Poch so it was too soon, had Flick failed he could of taken over at the end of the season but Bayern look like the best team in Europe at the moment so I don't think this one will be opening up anytime soon

Real Madrid
Even though they won the league any little rough patch Perez will pull the trigger. However with how rubbish Barca are looking at the moment it is hard to see them not winning another league title next year - probably won't open up for a year at least.

Atletico
I think Simeone will look to leave in the next couple years, but that is probably too long for Poch to wait especially considering it isn't really the ideal job (finances aren't massive, still not really one of the 'top jobs'

Man City
Could be the one, I reckon this is Pep's last season at City no matter what happens (one last stab at the CL then off to Juve) does he want to wait though?

Man United
Looked to be the one for a while but United like to stick by their managers and Ole has turned it around, one of the likelier options but with CL secured Ole is safe for a while

Chelsea
Lampard will be given a little more time than any other Chelsea manager, have made a few strong signings and they're no longer really aiming for the title as their goal so as long as they make top 4 they'll be safe

Liverpool

So does he wait for one of these? IMO I would rather than taking a job like Roma that is a sideways step from us.
Despite the glowing praise heaped upon him by people you have to remember that Poch's CV is not exactly littered with success as regards trophy and title wins. He cannot afford to be off the scene for too long and neither can he be too choosy about his next appointment. The club that takes him on will be taking a calculated gamble that what he achieved at Spurs can be developed further into creating a truly successful team.
I think Barca would be totally the wrong next step for both parties whereas Roma is the perfect chance for him to get back in the saddle.

Juventus

PSG

Bayern

Real Madrid

Atletico

Man City

Man United

Chelsea

Liverpool

Lots of thought into this but within it all you really do overestimate Pochettino's appeal.

Invariably winners are attractive and as a result Pochettino is now or currently a 2nd and 3rd rate option for nearly all those clubs if not further down the line.

Its the Juventus one that interests me. They gave the job to Sarri, *so their standards weren't that high) and now Pochetinno is available, free, and they didnt (as far as we know) even sound him out. Instead appointing someone that hasn't ever managed a proper match

Now, before I say anything else, I didnt want him sacked.

But within the sport they know a lot more than we do. We can all interpret press conferences how we want, read whatever we want to in the press, but in this day and age , all the media training that goes on we don't really know what happens in the training grounds and dressing rooms (quite rightly..what happens should stay etc)...

You do wonder why the major vacancies havnt fallen his way...

Course, he will prove me a liar and get the Barca job now.

Lots of thought into this but within it all you really do overestimate Pochettino's appeal.

Invariably winners are attractive and as a result Pochettino is now or currently a 2nd and 3rd rate option for nearly all those clubs if not further down the line.
Don't think the likes of Ole, Pirlo, Zidane, Guardiola (at Barca), Lampard, Flick had won too much at the highest level as managers prior to their appointments. Sarri got hired by Chelsea without any silverware and Juve with only a Europa League (and if I remember rightly he was already being lined up prior to that final. And if we're talking Barca they rarely hire managers that have won trophies in recent years. Poch is (along with Allegri) the best free agent manager in the world at the moment.

Sarri probably belongs on that list as well.

Where has Laurent Blanc gone btw?
Blanc has more or less been playing golf since he left PSG.

Linked with the United or random French clubs jobs from time to time. But he doesn't seem that interested right now.

Does some ambassador work with Inter/playing in their veteran team.

All coaches need the absolute trust and respect of their players.
Leeds players still bought into Bielsa and his psychopathic ways despite missing out at the last hurdle last season, and reaped the benefits with promotion this season. But historically, Bielsa has lost the confidence of other groups of players and been sacked.
When players challenged Ferguson - eg Stam and Keane - he got rid asap.
I lost a huge amount of respect for Pep last night. His team selection and tactics were a betrayal of everything he's spent years showing and telling us he stood for. And his stubborn refusal to acknowledge he'd fucked up meant Sterling missing a sitter was about the only clear cut chance they had. If he'd gone with his normal 4-3-3 stuffed full of creative sparks, they'd probably have made 5 or 6 great opportunities. And if they still lost, at least the fans would have thought "we gave it our best".
My point is that some senior players may have lost some confidence and respect for Pep last night. KDB did not look happy.
It's a very fine line for all coaches.
When our players bought into Poch and the high press, we literally blew away some great teams despite some flawed game plans. But once the doubts crept in, and Poch started to lose his own focus and MoJo, we became a shadow of what we had so recently been.
And yes, some of the players were / are not good enough at the very top level.

Certainly, the players knew the scale of the disappointment. One dressing room source spoke of a “funereal atmosphere” in the aftermath. Several others, remarkably, spoke of some of the players’ trust in their manager dwindling in the big games.

While Guardiola’s position remains safe, this does not mean all his players remain altogether convinced.

Sources present in the aftermath of the Lyon game insisted the relationship remained tight between the players and coaching staff and a “connection” is still strong. This, however, does not stop City players privately discussing their concerns with representatives, friends and family members. And on Sunday, sources close to the squad were unanimous in their assessment.

Quite simply, the manager had got it wrong and they are now frustrated it keeps happening.

In February, The Athletic spoke to numerous figures from Guardiola’s career, challenging the theory he overthinks these occasions.

While Bayern’s former technical director Michael Reschke called it “absolute fucking nonsense” to criticise Guardiola on this basis, Thomas Muller was more measured.

The Bayern forward said: “In knockout games, Pep pays a lot of attention to opponents and their strengths. He is always a little torn between playing extreme attention and respect to the strength of the opposition — more so than against smaller teams — and sticking to his convictions and to a system he believes in; to go, ‘We will play with that risk because that’s who we are.’ Sometimes, it is not 100 per cent clear what we are doing.”

Certainly, the players knew the scale of the disappointment. One dressing room source spoke of a “funereal atmosphere” in the aftermath. Several others, remarkably, spoke of some of the players’ trust in their manager dwindling in the big games.

While Guardiola’s position remains safe, this does not mean all his players remain altogether convinced.

Sources present in the aftermath of the Lyon game insisted the relationship remained tight between the players and coaching staff and a “connection” is still strong. This, however, does not stop City players privately discussing their concerns with representatives, friends and family members. And on Sunday, sources close to the squad were unanimous in their assessment.

Quite simply, the manager had got it wrong and they are now frustrated it keeps happening.

In February, The Athletic spoke to numerous figures from Guardiola’s career, challenging the theory he overthinks these occasions.

While Bayern’s former technical director Michael Reschke called it “absolute fucking nonsense” to criticise Guardiola on this basis, Thomas Muller was more measured.

The Bayern forward said: “In knockout games, Pep pays a lot of attention to opponents and their strengths. He is always a little torn between playing extreme attention and respect to the strength of the opposition — more so than against smaller teams — and sticking to his convictions and to a system he believes in; to go, ‘We will play with that risk because that’s who we are.’ Sometimes, it is not 100 per cent clear what we are doing.”
My comments were speculative, albeit considered speculation.
It's interesting to see them largely confirmed.
The Manchester Meltdown Winner is..... Jose Mourinho.

:mourfinger:

Do you like Mourinho?
Now there's a direct question.
I'm a football romantic. I want to watch the flair players - the Hoddles, the VDVs, Ardiles & Villa, Luka Modric, peak Bale, Ginola, Eriksen.
I also appreciate a great defender. Ledley of course, but also players who love a crunching tackle - Sandro, Roberts, Perryman, Palacios for a season,
But I literally couldn't watch us under that "1-0 to the Woolwich" wanker that Levy entrusted our club to.
I can't stand uber-defensive, negative football.
I hated some of the stuff we've played under Mourinho. But if the game is about glory, then I think he has a good chance of bringing us trophies, albeit not necessarily in a glorious way.
I like Mourinho's passion, and I quite like his arrogance - even if it grates when he talks about "I won this" and "I won that" because it should be "we", acknowledging the role of his players.
I thought his poking of Tito Vilanova in the eye was utterly disgraceful.
But I note that a lot of his former players still speak very highly of him.
Given Mourinho tends not to stay anywhere more than three years, I want him to build his team his way, get productive seasons out of our best players like Kane, and win something.
A season or two of Mourinho Bunker Mentality - Us Against The World.
Then, when the players start getting fed up with him, I'll watch the collapsing soap opera with a certain sense of deja vu. We've all seen it at numerous other clubs.
But ultimately, in the old football saying:
He may be a ****, but he's our ****.
For the time being, anyway.

Back
Top Bottom