Media Bias

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Very telling comment on the BBC tonight:
Atalanta 1-2 Paris St-Germain
This is the most devastating Champions League moment since Lucas Moura knocked out Ajax last year, surely.

...devastating.... DEVASTATING?
The very night before, Liverpool's equally unlikely comeback against Barca was hailed as 'heroic' and 'wonderful' ...and probably worthy of a National Holiday...

Yet when WE do it, it's 'devastating'!

Telling, very telling... that's all.

Very telling comment on the BBC tonight:

...devastating.... DEVASTATING?
The very night before, Liverpool's equally unlikely comeback against Barca was hailed as 'heroic' and 'wonderful' ...and probably worthy of a National Holiday...

Yet when WE do it, it's 'devastating'!

Telling, very telling... that's all.

Devastating for the losing team...

Quite right, for both Ajax and Atalanta the extra time goal(s) that put them out would have had a 'devastating' effect whereas for both Liverpool and Spurs in those matches the comebacks could be easily described as 'heroic' and 'wonderful'. I can't see anything wrong in the BBC's comment at all to be honest.

But that's the point... there was no mention about 'devastation' for Barca the night before, only how amazing Liverpool were, abd that Klopp's gurning teeth were on the Cup... with relatively comparable achievements on both nights, I'd say Liverpool got the adulation, we 'got lucky' to even be there after the City Qtr. Final!!

That's why it's called bias, the Media often have a way of portraying certain clubs in a particular way to suit an agenda, or, dare I say, a 'narrative' (good, and bad, I hasten to add!)

We often seem to be on the end of a negative slant, whereas other clubs benefit from the Global Fawning (see wgat I done did there?) that comes their way from CERTAIN sections of the media, Thass all.

But that's the point... there was no mention about 'devastation' for Barca the night before, only how amazing Liverpool were, abd that Klopp's gurning teeth were on the Cup... with relatively comparable achievements on both nights, I'd say Liverpool got the adulation, we 'got lucky' to even be there after the City Qtr. Final!!

That's why it's called bias, the Media often have a way of portraying certain clubs in a particular way to suit an agenda, or, dare I say, a 'narrative' (good, and bad, I hasten to add!)

We often seem to be on the end of a negative slant, whereas other clubs benefit from the Global Fawning (see wgat I done did there?) that comes their way from CERTAIN sections of the media, Thass all.
What's the BBC's agenda against PSG? I think you are reading to much into it!

Quite right, for both Ajax and Atalanta the extra time goal(s) that put them out would have had a 'devastating' effect whereas for both Liverpool and Spurs in those matches the comebacks could be easily described as 'heroic' and 'wonderful'. I can't see anything wrong in the BBC's comment at all to be honest.

There is a difference in tone, read BOTH reports, and you will see the subtle change in angle....
Barca got what they deserved against an unstoppable RED MACHINE...

Ajax suffer the agony of losing to Spurs.

Agreed, it's subtle, and I know im biased, but in football... as they KEEP telling us... it's the fine margins that count!

Last edited:

There is a difference in tone, read BOTH reports, and you will see the subtle change in angle....
Barca got what they deserved against an unstoppable RED MACHINE...

Ajax suffer the agony of losing to Spurs.

Agreed, it's subtle, but in football... as they KEEP telling us... it's the fine margins that count!
I can certainly see your point but also in fairness they did state : "a night that rivalled the jaw-dropping drama of Liverpool's incredible semi final victory over Barcelona on Tuesday. "

I can certainly see your point but also in fairness they did state : "a night that rivalled the jaw-dropping drama of Liverpool's incredible semi final victory over Barcelona on Tuesday. "
That's 'cos they couldn't help but shoehorm a mention of their beloved Liverpool in OUR match report!!

Imagine the games had been played the other way around... I wonder if we'd have got so much as a mention in Liverpool's match report...

Mind you, Eric Dier didn't help, by crediting Liverpool for giving us the inspiration to win the following night! :dier:

It is not yet known who will replace them on Soccer Saturday, but Paul Merson will be impersonating all three until a decision is reached. Oh and Jeff Stelling is still a cunt. Tune in for the new season on Soccer Sackaday.

Back
Top Bottom