Matt Doherty

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Feels like this has gained a lot of momentum today. At a price of £12-15m, it seems like a smart deal that fits the profile of what Mou wants in a RB.

Transfer news tracker: Tottenham close to Matt Doherty deal with Wolves

Tottenham Hotspur and Wolverhampton Wanderers are getting closer to agreeing a fee for Irish right-back Matt Doherty, reports Jack Pitt-Brooke.

Jose Mourinho has made Doherty his priority after an impressive spell at Wolves as he looks for an upgrade on Serge Aurier in that position. Wolves initially wanted £20million for the 28-year-old but Spurs’ first offer was understood to be closer to £12m before add-ons. But both sides are keen to reach an agreement and are likely to settle on a fee of roughly £15m.

Doherty still has three years left on his contract at Wolves but their interest in Ainsley Maitland-Niles of Woolwich suggests that they have already lined up a replacement.

Tottenham have been talking to clubs about a deal for Aurier but this week AC Milan pulled out of the race to sign him. If Doherty joins, he would be Spurs’ third signing of the summer after Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg from Southampton and Joe Hart on a free from Burnley.

Last edited:
some ones mentioned his age... is that a negative on the deal? whats the age when they peak else do they have a long career even older?

I'm not sure what to make of the fact that Wolves are apparently keen to do a deal. Nice if it makes negotiations smoother but on the other hand I'd rather they were desperate to keep hold of him.

some ones mentioned his age... is that a negative on the deal? whats the age when they peak else do they have a long career even older?
He's still in his prime but turns 29 this season, so he probably only has 2-3 seasons left at a peak level, which also means he has little to no sell-on value.

Someone that is 22/23 and is just entering their prime will be at a peak level for 6-7 seasons and still have a ton of value in 3-4 years if the club wanted to move them on.

I like that we are signing players who have premiership experience, we know what we are getting with them. We have a favourable fixture list at the beginning of the season and I think we can hit the ground running.

pZZBFg5.jpg

I'm not sure what to make of the fact that Wolves are apparently keen to do a deal. Nice if it makes negotiations smoother but on the other hand I'd rather they were desperate to keep hold of him.

I would have been shocked before the Poch/Eriksen drama. But after that shitshow I think teams just need to have churn to remain competitive.

He has been at the club his entire career. Time for a change for both parties.

Will be a good signing if it happens, what we need are dependable players who will keep games under control and let Kane and Son do the business. If we can get back to keeping clean sheets we can win a lot of games with our front players.

Doherty is a player who, like PEH, will have the right hunger to come and play for Tottenham. He’s not going to win anything at Wolves but with Kane and Mourinho he just might.

Back
Top Bottom