Messi - The greatest player ever?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I like that so many still have Maradona ahead.

But people watching highlights reels in a few years time, who never saw either in real time, will naturally conclude Messi was the better player. And on top of that his stats (especially goals) far exceed Maradona's.

And yet Maradona had this enormous presence, he was head and shoulders above his peers, even greats like Michel Platini. Let's recall that he played in far less forgiving circumstances. The pitches were a long way from today's standards, there was little referee protection, and so comparisons are really hard. His achievements with Napoli and particularly with the national team exceed those of Messi. And for sure most Argentines still prefer Maradona, and would take peak Maradona over peak Messi in their team all day long.

My heart says Maradona, my head says Messi.
If Maradona was a modern player, he’d do just as well as Messi, with the pitch condition, protection from refs etc.

Maradona particularly early in his career had no problem playing on dust bowls, which proves he wasn't pampered like todays players. He also did his time dealing with brutal attention.

Maradona particularly early in his career had no problem playing on dust bowls, which proves he wasn't pampered like todays players. He also did his time dealing with brutal attention.

One of the only ways to stop him in his prime was to hack him from behind. Nowadays you can't do that so he would have benefitted massively.

There's some footage of him playing a friendly for Napoli on what looks like a mud car-park and his control is mind-blowing. His touch and balance were sublime.

He'll just threaten to sit on his arse and do fuck all which would be a very sad way for him to try and force his way out of the team he has worshipped all his life. Whatever lies behind this situation, apart from the decline of the team, must be of such proportions that he knows it cannot be quickly or effectively resolved.
I would love to be able to watch him in the Premier League but just cannot see him have the same hunger and passion for the game without the blue and garnet shirt on his back.
I actually think the club owes it to him to let him go, would be really unfair in the current circumstances to try and force the price of the release clause on a technicality and price him out of a move when he has given 15 years of service as the best of all time. I think the right thing to do would say look you can go but because of this clause we will demand a fee of 100m, which they would certainly get.

If you talk about Longevity its Pele. If you talk about major honours its Pele If you talk about international honours its Pele. He was winning the World Cup when the other were still playing junior football. He played at a time when you got no protection from referees but he learned to look after himself. The fact that he never played in Europe doesn't really count as virtually nobody moved from Brazil to Europe during that period. Another player to be considered is Ferncs Puskas. He spent 2 years as a refugee in Austria before he moved to Real Madrid at the age of 31 Yes thirty fucking one . He then proceeded to be the leading scorer for I think 5 of the next 6 years. I suppose the question is How do you measure greatness? In my opinion Pele would have been the best in the world if he was playing today. Great player with everything . Speed, he could run a hundred metres in 11 seconds could jump 6 foot (witness his header in the 1970 world cup final. Could tackle and look after himself in a time when there was very little protection. For me it's an easy choice

Heard his father is going to meet with Barca, so shit must be getting serious now!

Seriously...I love these headlines that come up all the time, professional footballer X's father/mother meeting with club Y to resolve situation Z. Grown men, these are!

:mourshock:

Heard his father is going to meet with Barca, so shit must be getting serious now!

Seriously...I love these headlines that come up all the time, professional footballer X's father/mother meeting with club Y to resolve situation Z. Grown men, these are!
You realise his Dad is also his agent??

You realise his Dad is also his agent??
Of course. That's part of the problem - all these footballers hiring complete novices to handle their business.

You don't really see this in any other market but athletics. It makes sense though, as a lot of top athletes are the product of overbearing parents.

There's a dozen horror stories of athletes whose career earnings have evaporated because they hired family/friends to look after their finances instead of professionals for everyone one that doesn't turn out disastrous.

Of course. That's part of the problem - all these footballers hiring complete novices to handle their business.

You don't really see this in any other market but athletics. It makes sense though, as a lot of top athletes are the product of overbearing parents.

There's a dozen horror stories of athletes whose career earnings have evaporated because they hired family/friends to look after their finances instead of professionals for everyone one that doesn't turn out disastrous.
Yeah... Messi's Dad has done a really shit job at handling his business!? 🤦‍♂️

Yeah... Messi's Dad has done a really shit job at handling his business!? 🤦‍♂️

He was sentenced to 21 months in prison for tax fraud, remember, and they both had to buy their way out. Now his son is stuck in a contract he wants out of with a buyout clause that no club in the world can even come close to considering meeting.

I wouldn't say Jorge gets high marks, no.

It has long been the great unanswered question "Could Messi hack it in the Premier League ?". I would desperately love to see him try and answer it now at the age of 33 when there's still a charge in the battery rather than perhaps have a couple of seasons at age 35/36 before leaving for MLS.
I sincerely hope City pull this deal off and I have a chance to go and see the little magician when he's due at the Lane on November 21st 2020.

It has long been the great unanswered question "Could Messi hack it in the Premier League ?". I would desperately love to see him try and answer it now at the age of 33 when there's still a charge in the battery rather than perhaps have a couple of seasons at age 35/36 before leaving for MLS.
I sincerely hope City pull this deal off and I have a chance to go and see the little magician when he's due at the Lane on November 21st 2020.

Easily, long as City don’t expect him to be their main runner. He is probably the best passer I have ever seen, he creates chances by the dozen, with Sterling, Foden, De Bruyne and Bernardo Silva making runs all he needs to do is find space in the pocket between defence and midfield and he will make City dangerous.

ss.png

Back
Top Bottom