Matt Doherty

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Wolves (the club) are very pissed off with this sale.

Apparently he fell out with the manager, who told the board I'm getting rid.

Where did you hear that?

Doherty is a client ofJorge Mendes, As are Nuno and Jose. The Chinese firm that owns Wolves also have a an interest in Jorge Mendes business. If ever a transfer suited all parties, it's this one. The low fee probably reflects that.

The only people pissed off will be the Wolves fans.

Where did you hear that?

Doherty is a client ofJorge Mendes, As are Nuno and Jose. The Chinese firm that owns Wolves also have a an interest in Jorge Mendes business. If ever a transfer suited all parties, it's this one. The low fee probably reflects that.

The only people pissed off will be the Wolves fans.
Pretty mixed views on the Wolves forum, some claiming we don't know what we're getting, others that he was too cheaply sold.

This arguing is a waste of time, it's all speculation. We will find out if he's a good/bad buy when he's played some games for us. Even if he was the best player at Wolves, wouldn't necessarily mean he's going to do it for us. Quoting statistics from last season is totally irrelevant too. I'm going to wait and see, seems the sensible thing to do.

This arguing is a waste of time, it's all speculation. We will find out if he's a good/bad buy when he's played some games for us. Even if he was the best player at Wolves, wouldn't necessarily mean he's going to do it for us. Quoting statistics from last season is totally irrelevant too. I'm going to wait and see, seems the sensible thing to do.

Same here. I know next to nothing about him, but it’s enough that Mourinho wanted him and even highlighted him as a threat in the Amazon documentary.

This arguing is a waste of time, it's all speculation. We will find out if he's a good/bad buy when he's played some games for us. Even if he was the best player at Wolves, wouldn't necessarily mean he's going to do it for us. Quoting statistics is totally irrelevant too. I'm going to wait and see, seems the sensible thing to do.
just a small modification - and I'll have some of that sentiment if I may, Mrs P?

One game, one game for us and opinions will be formed and cemented until the end of time. Future civilisations will discover cave drawings of how incredible/horrifically shit Matt Doherty was, based purely on Tottenham v Everton from September 2020, and wonder what kind of advanced intellect must have inhabited the planet before them.

To be fair, Walker didn't create as much as Aurier yet we'd all know who we'd prefer at their peak.
It's not specifically about the raw numbers. (I'd have Walker back in a heartbeat as he's better than both Aurier & Doherty. I also think he's widened his role under Pep, plays a completly different function from the same position, he covers their CB's so often he's last man, but when he's advanced he takes the ball inside, City use their AM's for width, all be it with lots of interchanging). It's about whether he's an "upgrade" on Aurier or not, Spurs fanbase has their new scapegoat and will not have it that the two are of a comparable level (taking into account individual characteristics and how they have been asked to specifically play in their teams).

I like BOTH, I think BOTH are on a par, Spurs scapegoat fanbase thinks he's an "upgrade". That's all. It's just fucking weird that for even daring to suggest this creates so much angst amongst them, you would had thought having two comparable players fighting for spot and/or providing cover for a position was a positive for the team. Now watch the negatives reign on down this post LOL.

It's not specifically about the raw numbers. (I'd have Walker back in a heartbeat as he's better than both Aurier & Doherty. I also think he's widened his role under Pep, plays a completly different function from the same position, he covers their CB's so often he's last man, but when he's advanced he takes the ball inside, City use their AM's for width, all be it with lots of interchanging). It's about whether he's an "upgrade" on Aurier or not, Spurs fanbase has their new scapegoat and will not have it that the two are of a comparable level (taking into account individual characteristics and how they have been asked to specifically play in their teams).

I like BOTH, I think BOTH are on a par, Spurs scapegoat fanbase thinks he's an "upgrade". That's all. It's just fucking weird that for even daring to suggest this creates so much angst amongst them, you would had thought having two comparable players fighting for spot and/or providing cover for a position was a positive for the team. Now watch the negatives reign on down this post LOL.

IMO Walker has regressed massively each season after leaving us. He's probably Man City's weakest link in the back 5 atm. Costs them in almost every big game in the CL - made costly brainfarts against Liverpool, us and Lyon. Pretty meh in attack as well.

Back
Top Bottom