Spurs Youth 2019/20

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shame about Roles injury. May have cost him a run out v Watford?
Seems we are trying to convert Georgiou to a FB?

Certainly a shame about Roles injury, especially if JM might have played him in the first team friendly.

Georgiou has played as both LW and LWB for a few years, but sadly other than speed really hasn't proved to be great at either and at 23 is probably only still at Spurs as all youngsters wre offered contracts to allow them to stay due to covid. I'm not sure u23's have a suitable LB either - Hinds (naturally a RB but can LB) often played there last season but has now left, so think that Kyezu (LB/LM) in Academy Year 2 might have been the other alternative ?

I see only one trialist included, probably playing at CB alongside Lyons-Foster with Lusala playing RB - I'm guessing its still Keenan Ferguson (CB/RB) ex Sheffield United, but if it is I am surprised he's not been signed ?

I hope Sterling goes on loan soon or is sold (far too experienced to be playing u23's and not good enough for Spurs first team ? Same with Tracey) as he looks to be blocking the path of Etete (striker) and Richards (winger/striker) who could both do with the minutes who both look to have higher ceilings ?

Kasper is currently the 5th out of 5 GK's in development squad (after Austin, Whiteman, de Bie and Olumayemi) so makes sense to play elsewhere - although I hope Austin and maybe Whiteman both go out on loan (but might depend on first team GK situation)

Interestingly Alfie Whiteman is now listed on the first team page of OS.

Brandon Austin is still listed on the u23 page of OS.

I guess that means Whiteman is staying at Spurs next season (as 3rd or 4th GK) whilst Austin is loaned out.

And as Whiteman can no longer qualify as an u21, he will take up a Club Trained place along with Kane, Winks and potentially taking the 4th Club Trained spot is either Rose or Carter-Vickers - potentially both Rose and CCV could stay but that means one less 'overseas' trained or 'Other Association trained spot (and we already have 4 under UEFA rules - Dele, Doherty, Hart and Sessegnon).

Most likely means Gazzaniga is thought to be off, leaving Hart as 2nd GK (shudder ?)

So if Rose stays (to wind down his contract) we cannot keep CCV as an extra CB for EL games at any rate. Might need to bite the bullet and pay off Rose if he declines moves as I'm not sure he's good enough to play LB for Spurs any longer ?

Interestingly Alfie Whiteman is now listed on the first team page of OS.

Brandon Austin is still listed on the u23 page of OS.

I guess that means Whiteman is staying at Spurs next season (as 3rd or 4th GK) whilst Austin is loaned out.

And as Whiteman can no longer qualify as an u21, he will take up a Club Trained place along with Kane, Winks and potentially taking the 4th Club Trained spot is either Rose or Carter-Vickers - potentially both Rose and CCV could stay but that means one less 'overseas' trained or 'Other Association trained spot (and we already have 4 under UEFA rules - Dele, Doherty, Hart and Sessegnon).

Most likely means Gazzaniga is thought to be off, leaving Hart as 2nd GK (shudder ?)

So if Rose stays (to wind down his contract) we cannot keep CCV as an extra CB for EL games at any rate. Might need to bite the bullet and pay off Rose if he declines moves as I'm not sure he's good enough to play LB for Spurs any longer ?
As it stands for EL
ASSOCIATION (4)
HART1
DOHERTY2
ALLI3
SESSEGNON4
CLUB TRAINED (4)
ROSE1
CCV2
WINKS3
KANE4

I don't think there is a snowball's that Rose will be in the EL squad so Whiteman will surely just take his slot?

As it stands for EL
ASSOCIATION (4)
HART1
DOHERTY2
ALLI3
SESSEGNON4
CLUB TRAINED (4)
ROSE1
CCV2
WINKS3
KANE4

I don't think there is a snowball's that Rose will be in the EL squad so Whiteman will surely just take his slot?

That is my guess too - can't see Rose impressing JM to be a LB option.

But also assumes we get an acceptable offer for Gazzaniga, and we don't buy another top class GK for example.

Still a few things spinning round, but when they all land at end of TW most likely outcome I think is that Whiteman becomes our 4th Club trained player.

Of course its also possible that its an IT error and Whiteman was moved to first team by mistake !

Last edited:
That is my guess too - can't see Rose impressing JM to be a LB option.

But also assumes we get an acceptable offer for Gazzaniga, and we don't buy another top class GK for example.

Still a few things spinning round, but when they all land at end of TW most likely outcome I think is that Whiteman becomes our 4th Club trained player.

Of course its also possible that its an IT error and Whiteman was moved to first team by mistake !
Whiteman has been in the 1st team list for a while now, I believe.

Certainly months ago, before lockdown. Possibly around the time when Lloris got his injury?

ok, didnt spot that at the time, and Austin out on loan at the time so maybe my first post on the subject isn't true as it was based on my thinking Whiteman had relatively recently been moved out of u23's

ok, didnt spot that at the time, and Austin out on loan at the time so maybe my first post on the subject isn't true as it was based on my thinking Whiteman had relatively recently been moved out of u23's
What could be informative is they haven't bothered to give CCV a number on the OS list. Clarke as well.

What could be informative is they haven't bothered to give CCV a number on the OS list. Clarke as well.

Both surely playing with a number in all pre-season matches ? Just as likely to be lazy updating - will only be done properly at end of TW. But both might leave by end of TW I agree

Nothing new - but the reason why Binks left was he saw how little football that KWP had played and same for likes of Parrott under Poch and concerned how much chance he would have under JM although he said he did MORE training with first team when JM joined than he had under Poch.

Hope the club read the interview.

Nothing new - but the reason why Binks left was he saw how little football that KWP had played and same for likes of Parrott under Poch and concerned how much chance he would have under JM although he said he did MORE training with first team when JM joined than he had under Poch.

Hope the club read the interview.

I would imagine that’s why we are using the likes of Scarlett , Devine, Cirkin , white so heavily this pre season , enables us to draw them in to sign new contracts and tie them down before they refuse to sign , saying there is no route to the first team . Fagan Walcott Promoted quickly when Binks left as we didn’t want to loose him too . It is not saying these players are better then others by leap frogging them , In Devines case it was probably promised to him that he would feature in pre season if he signed with us . Will be interesting to see how many of these Lads will feature when the season starts .

Last edited:

LB: “The best players I played with in the Spurs youth set up has to be players like Troy [Parrott], Harvey [White], Dennis [Cirkin] and Malachi [Fagan-Walcott] – all boys I got along with personally. When I’ve been away with England players like Mason Greenwood, Tommy Doyle at Man City are also again boys I got on well with, but also great players. As for against me I’d say Rabbi Matondo when we played [Manchester] City. He was so quick and skilful, but we won so I done ok!”

Nothing new, but a decent summary of a youth watchers assessment of Cameron Carter-Vickers, Harvey White, Dennis Cirkin, Jamie Bowden, Dane Scarlett and Alfie Devine involvement in the 4 pre-season matches.

On CCV for example : And although he wasn’t really tested in much of our four friendlies, I thought that he kept good positioning and was just solid in his play, plus his distribution was good. There was one moment in the first half of the Watford game where he slid in and put his body on the line to put a Watford player off when he was trying to latch onto a low cross from the right hand side, that was brave defending from Carter-Vickers, something that he was always known for at youth level.

Something, I'd agree with, CCV looked just fine both as a defender and passing out from the back - but the one issue that JM will consider is that CCV has never been given the opportunity to play in PL whereas Foyth (just 13 days younger) has been but Foyth's record in those is patchy at best (2 penalties conceded n his debut).

Right now I'd be tempted to trust the man with almost 100 championship matches under his belt if we need an extra defender (CB/RB/LB) in the squad to deal with the punishing schedule of matches we start the season with. But if Spurs buy an extra CB (as rumoured) then I'd guess CCV will be off this TW, which will be a shame.........because I think we will see him back in PL at some stage, just not for Spurs.

But I think we will see Harvey White, Dennis Cirkin and very possibly Jamie Bowden playing for the first team this season, the first two possibly including some of the easier PL games, the latter possibly only the cup games.

Nothing new, but a decent summary of a youth watchers assessment of Cameron Carter-Vickers, Harvey White, Dennis Cirkin, Jamie Bowden, Dane Scarlett and Alfie Devine involvement in the 4 pre-season matches.

On CCV for example : And although he wasn’t really tested in much of our four friendlies, I thought that he kept good positioning and was just solid in his play, plus his distribution was good. There was one moment in the first half of the Watford game where he slid in and put his body on the line to put a Watford player off when he was trying to latch onto a low cross from the right hand side, that was brave defending from Carter-Vickers, something that he was always known for at youth level.

Something, I'd agree with, CCV looked just fine both as a defender and passing out from the back - but the one issue that JM will consider is that CCV has never been given the opportunity to play in PL whereas Foyth (just 13 days younger) has been but Foyth's record in those is patchy at best (2 penalties conceded n his debut).

Right now I'd be tempted to trust the man with almost 100 championship matches under his belt if we need an extra defender (CB/RB/LB) in the squad to deal with the punishing schedule of matches we start the season with. But if Spurs buy an extra CB (as rumoured) then I'd guess CCV will be off this TW, which will be a shame.........because I think we will see him back in PL at some stage, just not for Spurs.

But I think we will see Harvey White, Dennis Cirkin and very possibly Jamie Bowden playing for the first team this season, the first two possibly including some of the easier PL games, the latter possibly only the cup games.

How would you compare and contrast Bowden and White? They both seem to play in a similar role. Both seem rather comfortable on the ball with White having the ability to spray the ball around a bit more. Bowden does seem more of a defender than White, but this is coming from the runouts I have seen as part of the first team. White seems to be further in development?

Tottenham Hotspur – 2020/21 Under-18 Premier League fixture list
Sat 12 Sep - West Ham United (A) - 11am - Little Heath
Sat 19 Sep - Woolwich (H) - 11am - Hotspur Way
Sat 26 Sep - Brighton & Hove Albion (A) - 11.30am - AMEX Elite Football Performance Centre
Sat 3 Oct - Fulham (A) - 11am - Imber Court
Sat 17 Oct - Aston Villa (H) - 12pm - Hotspur Way
Sat 24 Oct - Reading (H) - 11.30am - Hotspur Way

Sat 7 Nov - Norwich City (A) - 11.30am - Lotus Training Centre
Sat 21 Nov - Southampton (H) - 11.30am - Hotspur Way
Sat 28 Nov - Leicester City (H) - 11.30am - Hotspur Way

Sat 12 Dec - Crystal Palace (A) - 11am - Crystal Palace Training Ground
Sat 19 Dec - West Bromwich Albion (H) - 11.30am - Hotspur Way
Sat 9 Jan - Chelsea (A) - 11am - Cobham
Sat 16 Jan - West Ham (H) - 11am - Hotspur Way
Sat 23 Jan - Woolwich (A) - 11am - London Colney
Sat 30 Jan - Brighton & Hove Albion (H) - 11.30am - Hotspur Way