Which cheap striker would you go for?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Which cheap striker would you go for?

• Troy Deeney

• Josh King

• Olivier Giroud

• Habib Diallo

• Chris Wood

• Ollie Watkins

Results are only viewable after voting.
What an inspiring list.

:pochunimpressed:
Absolutely.

Levy looking for a striker

bottom-of-barrell.png

There is this young Irish lad smashing it in the championship, we should go all out and try and get him here , surely with him being young he would also be happy to sit on the bench behind Kane? #BringhomeParrott

Also, whoever we sign needs to be able to press. We can’t just go for a tree to hit it long to and see which way the ball bounces off him.

With Callum Wilson now off to Newcastle and only a few days to go until our season starts with our jam packed schedule, which shit bargain striker would you go for out of these five options if given the choice?

The Contenders

Troy Deeney

Club: Watford
Stats last season: 27 games, 10 goals
Estimated fee (according to transfermarkt): 5.85m

Josh King
Club: Bournemouth
Stats last season: 27 games, 6 goals
Estimated fee (according to transfermarkt):14.4m

Olivier Giroud
Club: Chelsea
Stats last season: 25 games, 10 goals
Estimated fee (according to transfermarkt):6.3m

Habib Diallo
Club: FC Metz
Stats last season: 27 games, 12 goals
Estimated fee (according to transfermarkt): 10.8m

Chris Wood
Club: Burnley
Stats last season: 35 games, 14 goals
Estimated fee (according to transfermarkt): 13.05m

Ollie Watkins
Club: Brentford
Stats last season: 50 games, 26 goals
Estimated fee (according to press): 25m

I haven't included other options such as Luis Suarez and Edinson Cavani as lets be honest those two are on a different level to these guys and aren't in the bargain bin category in terms of wages. Also seems Costa will be going to Italy.

Personally in my order of preference I would go

1. Wood
2. Watkins
3. Giroud
4. Diallo
5. Deeney
6. King
I would include Cavani.

Fee is nothing and reports suggest he is looking for £175k a week, which is just over £18m on a two year contract.

Bargain in my book.

I would include Cavani.

Fee is nothing and reports suggest he is looking for £175k a week, which is just over £18m on a two year contract.

Bargain in my book.

He must be after way more in wages.

If that was ‘all’ he was after, we’d have gone for him.

Honestly. I have been saying it for about a Year, Edouard at Celtic would be perfect for us. He is young and has a bit of everything. Would probably get him for under 30M

Wouldn’t spend on penny on any one of the fore mentioned players....we are fucking Tottenham Hotspur FC, and there is absolutely no reason to even consider these types of players.....But it’s real life and we probably will, so Ollie Watkins at a push....

Wouldn’t spend on penny on any one of the fore mentioned players....we are fucking Tottenham Hotspur FC, and there is absolutely no reason to even consider these types of players.....But it’s real life and we probably will, so Ollie Watkins at a push....

Out of curiosity who are you spending money on to fill that role or are you fine with going another year without a back up striker?

I think most fans would love to bring in a world class talent to the team but realize that is unrealistic based on our owner and players of that level having no interest in coming here to fill a back-up role.

Here’s pretty much the strikers in the PL.
Vardy
Aubameyang
Lacazette
Aguero
Jesus
Jiménez
Rashford
Calvert Lewin
Richarlison
Wood
Maupay
Deeney
Ayew
Haller
Giroud
Long

Must be more, but you get the idea.
Now firstly say which you would actually want, because by my reckoning, when you take out the likes of Aubameyang and Vardy and others who are completely impossible, I can’t see that people here would want anyone.

So could someone explain exactly who they want the club to sign to come and sit on our bench.
Because it seems many people demand a striker, but are extremely deluded as to what’s actually out there, while having some kind of mirage when they look at other teams options.

Out of curiosity who are you spending money on to fill that role or are you fine with going another year without a back up striker?

I think most fans would love to bring in a world class talent to the team but realize that is unrealistic based on our owner and players of that level having no interest in coming here to fill a back-up role.
I’m just about fed up with the whole Kane “back up” argument to be honest.....Kane is world class and scores just about every game, so there actually isn’t a back up out there, so even if we could spend 150m on a striker it would be based on both of them playing, and I’m damn good with that scenario.....if Jose doesn’t like that plan then I’d spend the money on a world class version of Lucas....

Why are people saying whoever comes in will automatically sit on the bench? Isn't it possible that a striker (if we buy one) could actually rival Kane for a starting spot?

Eg - "Can't see Cavani, Costa, etc, etc coming to play second fiddle/sit on the bench...." perhaps they might come to compete?

I'd rescue Wood and McNeil from Burnley, always look like capable players.

Don't know much about Watkins, but he's the flavour of the month so I will be livid if we don't sign him too.

I’m just about fed up with the whole Kane “back up” argument to be honest.....Kane is world class and scores just about every game, so there actually isn’t a back up out there, so even if we could spend 150m on a striker it would be based on both of them playing, and I’m damn good with that scenario.....if Jose doesn’t like that plan then I’d spend the money on a world class version of Lucas....

What?

We need someone to play in the EL and Cup games, someone who can play if Kane is injured, someone to bring on late in games when we are down a goal.

So you can be fed up with it all you like that doesn't change anything.

A world class version of Lucas such as who? Where are we getting the money from?

I don't get bitching about a topic and then having zero realistic solutions.

Would be happy with any of Watkins, Wood or Diallo.
Patson Daka or Odsonne Edouard would be two I'd love to see signed, but wouldn't deem likely.

Pretty cold on Deeney and King, and would like Giroud but can't see it happening.

Back
Top Bottom