Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Via Ornstein:

" Tottenham have been linked with King, although he is not thought to be high up on their recruitment lists at present and, after missing out on Watkins, it is understood that Spurs do not yet have a firm attacking target in mind. "

If we wanted a homegrown striker we should have gone for Wilson or Watkins. Ings would cost a fortune which we wont be paying so what are we left with Josh King and Deeney? Neither score close to enough goals, we'd have been better off keeping Parrott.

Pathetic if true.
" Tottenham were Villa’s main rivals. Watkins was open to the move and confident he would have enjoyed plenty of game time across numerous competitions. However, Spurs were not in a position to move quickly because of the finances involved, with the striker’s rapidly inflating fee proving too difficult an obstacle for the club to overcome at the speed required. "

From that, I read it as we were interested in Watkins and now that he's off the table we don't have a firm second choice yet.

" Tottenham were Villa’s main rivals. Watkins was open to the move and confident he would have enjoyed plenty of game time across numerous competitions. However, Spurs were not in a position to move quickly because of the finances involved, with the striker’s rapidly inflating fee proving too difficult an obstacle for the club to overcome at the speed required. "

From that, I read it as we were interested in Watkins and now that he's off the table we don't have a firm second choice yet.
Just inept i'm afraid. Watkins is overpriced by £5m to £6m but Doherty was equally underpriced. You win some you lose some. As it is we've been outbid by Aston Villa and now seemingly dont have a clue what to do.

Pathetic if true.

Not just pathetic but completely and utterly shameful and inexcusable behaviour. We've needed a striker since the 1st of January this year, before in fact, and to still be without one at this stage is a massive failing on the part of ENIC, Levy and Hitchins.

Maybe the only solution is to sell Harry Kane and with the money but new players including two new strikers!

We're going to kill Kane at this rate!

That's the pathetic part, if Watkins was THE guy then getting blown out of the water by Villa is embarrassing enough, to not have a solid list of other optikns is inexcusable unless we had been certain that Watkins was all set, which he clearly wasn't.

He goes on about how difficult it is planning for the January window, about how buying in January is panic buying and so on

I'm no expert, but as I see it if you planned to buy a player for position x in the summer window , and couldn't get one....then you plan to do that in Jan.
Will you please fuck off with all this sensible bollocks.

on a serious note, Hitchin should be in his fucking element each window, as it’s his chance to earn his money and provide the names of the players that will drive us upwards on onwards, in the positions the manager has identified.
If he ain’t up to that, & he dreads the January window, then you do wonder what he’s doing at Spurs. He comes across very badly indeed.

Via Ornstein:

" Tottenham have been linked with King, although he is not thought to be high up on their recruitment lists at present and, after missing out on Watkins, it is understood that Spurs do not yet have a firm attacking target in mind. "

Bluffer.jpg

Jose wants a striker, gets Bergwijn. January 2020.

Steve's list of (maybe cheap) Strikers.
Ollie Watkins

Now, 4 days from the season starting in the following window, we still don't have a striker.

One injury to Kane and we are fucked (again). I don't care if buying a player is like climbing Everest, it doesn't change the fact that any possibility of success is contingent on buying a second striker.

Planning on the basis that Kane stays fit is idiotic. Enic will have failed if we don't buy a striker.
:kaneear:

To be clear, I won't ever whinge and moan about us not spending enough money, but what pisses me off is that as a club we seem to expect clubs to drop their fees for us, like they're gonna do us a favour. If we aren't up for splashing big fees then find players that fit our budget and get it done, don't spend all window hoping someone takes pity on us, and end up getting outbid by Newcastle, Villa or Everton, it's fucking embarrassing.

You sound a very, very angry man this morning Sammy.

The caption from the book revealing Levy's motives, in his own words seems to have really stung you. You're really smarting.

Doesn't bode well for the rest of the say

I read something similar the other day about that left back Leicester signed the other day from Atlanta, was a quote from the players dad basically saying we were in for him but couldn't afford to get the deal done without selling.

Back
Top Bottom