Keenan Ferguson

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

EhtnM_CXsAAiW19

He left Sheffield United in the summer after his contract expired. He had been on trial at Tottenham and impressed in friendly against Leyton Orient. He is currently 20-years-old and is a versatile defender, who has excellent pace, power and athleticism.

Last edited:

EhtnM_CXsAAiW19

A versatile defender, who has excellent pace, power and athleticism.

So our Academy experts were correct about the identity of our "Secret Trialist 1".

From the reports, Keenan Ferguson seemed to play at RB as well as CB, and is fast & strong. So maybe he'll be developed as another RB option if Serge leaves.

So our Academy experts were correct about the identity of our "Secret Trialist 1".

From the reports, Keenan Ferguson seemed to play at RB as well as CB, and is fast & strong. So maybe he'll be developed as another RB option if Serge leaves.

Anyone know if he's already had any senior game-time at SheffU?

Think i read he was released by Sheff Utd so i wouldn't get too excited about this as yet. I suspect a bit of a stop gap as Eyoma is on a season long loan at Lincoln.
Local press reported that he declined to sign a contract and left on a free but we will have o pay a development fee for him. Usually a few hundred thousand.
No doubt we must have tapped him up when he was at Sheffield Utd.
Impressive against Orient. Certainly better than what we have at U23.

They updated the U 23 squad today and Ferguson's name is not there.
I think he is still on trial.

Signed a contract for this season.

Gives us extended time to see what he's like. If we like him probably extend contract around Christmas time.

One of the strange things about signing Ferguson (RB/CB) is that in the last pre-season match JM included Jubril Okedina (same age as Ferguson) on the bench although he was a unused sub.......... and Okedina also plays at RB/CB as does Brooklyn Lyons-Foster.

So its not that we ae short of options there, think it has to be that Spurs think he's better than what we have already and maybe a chance Ferguson will at least be pushing for the first team squad, maybe in the League Cup matches.....but that's only likely surely if we sell Aurier ?

One of the strange things about signing Ferguson (RB/CB) is that in the last pre-season match JM included Jubril Okedina (same age as Ferguson) on the bench although he was a unused sub.......... and Okedina also plays at RB/CB as does Brooklyn Lyons-Foster.

So its not that we ae short of options there, think it has to be that Spurs think he's better than what we have already and maybe a chance Ferguson will at least be pushing for the first team squad, maybe in the League Cup matches.....but that's only likely surely if we sell Aurier ?

I know we have a ton of games and will potentially see some youth team players but surely we have better options than playing some random 20 year old we pick up off the scrap heap a few days ago.

Worth the risk to see what he has but to immediately put him into real games seems a bit rash.

I know we have a ton of games and will potentially see some youth team players but surely we have better options than playing some random 20 year old we pick up off the scrap heap a few days ago.

Worth the risk to see what he has but to immediately put him into real games seems a bit rash.

I cannot recall the last time Spurs signed a 20 year old for the u23's - so why change and sign Ferguson ? Especially when we have 30 odd players in the development squad (more than usual) with existing players who can play RB/CB.

Ferguson has been on trial at Surs for over a month and played 4 pre-season games.....so he's been signed because Spurs saw something they liked. Why you think he's a 'random' 20 year old, I have no idea - if you or I turned up at Spurs training ground its unlikely either of us would be good enough to be offered a contract, so he's been chosen on the basis of footballing skill.

And per Sheffield papers he turned down signing another contract with Sheffield United (as did 2 other youngsters), so hardly off the scrap heap.

Spurs have signed a player who MIGHT be useful - the club thinks it gives us extra options

I cannot recall the last time Spurs signed a 20 year old for the u23's - so why change and sign Ferguson ? Especially when we have 30 odd players in the development squad (more than usual) with existing players who can play RB/CB.

Ferguson has been on trial at Surs for over a month and played 4 pre-season games.....so he's been signed because Spurs saw something they liked. Why you think he's a 'random' 20 year old, I have no idea - if you or I turned up at Spurs training ground its unlikely either of us would be good enough to be offered a contract, so he's been chosen on the basis of footballing skill.

And per Sheffield papers he turned down signing another contract with Sheffield United (as did 2 other youngsters), so hardly off the scrap heap.

He's a random 20 year in terms of soccer players. He has zero senior team minutes, was not rated well by anyone, was able to leave Sheffield without much of a kick up from them, saw zero minutes in any of our senior pre-season games despite us having plenty of opportunity to play him in any of those games.

Its hard to imagine that a guy that had little to no interest from other teams, had to go on a trial for us before getting signed, has zero experience at senior level football and wasn't used in the senior level pre-season games is now going to be used in Cup games ahead of players who have shown a hell of a lot more than him, have a hell of a lot more ability than him, have played at that level before and have been used in our senior team before.

He's a random 20 year in terms of soccer players. He has zero senior team minutes, was not rated well by anyone, was able to leave Sheffield without much of a kick up from them, saw zero minutes in any of our senior pre-season games despite us having plenty of opportunity to play him in any of those games.

Its hard to imagine that a guy that had little to no interest from other teams, had to go on a trial for us before getting signed, has zero experience at senior level football and wasn't used in the senior level pre-season games is now going to be used in Cup games ahead of players who have shown a hell of a lot more than him, have a hell of a lot more ability than him, have played at that level before and have been used in our senior team before.

Ferguson was out of contract at Sheffield United - so didnt matter what they thought, he was free to move.

Spurs coaches thought he was good enough to sign - so that's good enough for me.

Even if a random Igula who has probably never seen him doesnt think he's 'good enough'.

As I said before he gives Spurs options - and if he's thought by the coaches to be useful to be in the squad for a League Cup game as we play 2 mid week matches in a couple of weeks, so be it. If he's not required because JM thinks there are enough other fringe first team players to play those kind of games - great. But they key phrase is to give JM options.

But otherwise he's available for u23 matches - even though we have other existing players who can play RB/CB. Which come round to the question - why was he signed, as it sure makes no sense to just sign a 20 year old for u21's ?

Ferguson was out of contract at Sheffield United - so didnt matter what they thought, he was free to move.

Spurs coaches thought he was good enough to sign - so that's good enough for me.

Even if a random Igula who has probably never seen him doesnt think he's 'good enough'.

As I said before he gives Spurs options - and if he's thought by the coaches to be useful to be in the squad for a League Cup game as we play 2 mid week matches in a couple of weeks, so be it. If he's not required because JM thinks there are enough other fringe first team players to play those kind of games - great. But they key phrase is to give JM options.

But otherwise he's available for u23 matches - even though we have other existing players who can play RB/CB. Which come round to the question - why was he signed, as it sure makes no sense to just sign a 20 year old for u21's ?

If they thought he was worth it they would have made him an offer that would have kept him. He came to us on a trial so it wasn't like he left them for big money he left them for a chance to maybe get a contract, but with a good chance of getting nothing.

I think he is good enough to take a chance on but based on his zero senior experience, zero senior pre-season games and zero interest outside of a trial it would be a massive leap to have him playing senior level games for us in the next month.

Back
Top Bottom