Tottenham v Everton - Sunday September 13, 4:30pm

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

How many games before Mourinho realises Harry Winks is over rated shit and Eric Dier is a fucking liability?

He's no better at football than Stuart fucking Nethercott.

Managers can I don't think ours can however.
Fair enough mate, I'm inclined to agree with you.

I think our end of season upturn in results was simply Mourinho getting lucky with a formation that worked and a lot of on pitch luck (OGs, deflections etc). I think he's now limited to one tactic and Ancelotti simply stopped that tactic from working. Others will do the same.

Blame everyone else.

The fitness of the players is his responsibility isn't it? Tanguy has been allegedly unfit for almost the entire time Jose has been here. What are him and his team doing regards physical preparation?

Every other club faced the same pre-season issues. He needs to shut up about fitness, Corona etc it's just embarrassing.

Fair enough mate, I'm inclined to agree with you.

I think our end of season upturn in results was simply Mourinho getting lucky with a formation that worked and a lot of on pitch luck (OGs, deflections etc). I think he's now limited to one tactic and Ancelotti simply stopped that tactic from working. Others will do the same.
I can see us getting Bale, if we do it will be better. Other than that it's going to be a long long season.

Why Dier? It was Alderweireld that was marking Calvert-Lewin.

It was both of them. They have both read the flight of the ball and are standing in exactly the right spot. Except they both stand there and let Calvert-Lewin jump and have a free header. If just one of them makes some attempt to win the ball, the goal never happens. A nudge would have been enough to put him off.

We actually cleared most of their other crosses without issue, there were a few big headers from Dier, Davies and others. That's what's so frustrating, the lack of consistency in the way we apply ourselves. It's not like Everton caught us out, our defenders were right there where they were supposed to be, our line was good and everyone was in their zone. They just forgot to actually do the defending. That's on them and nobody else.

It was both of them. They have both read the flight of the ball and are standing in exactly the right spot. Except they both stand there and let Calvert-Lewin jump and have a free header. If just one of them makes some attempt to win the ball, the goal never happens. A nudge would have been enough to put him off.

I think you need to watch it again... Neither "just stand there"... DCL was just stronger and deals with them comfortably.

Last edited:
There are horrible overtones of the first half of last season about it. The players looked liked they'd given up before they'd begun. Have they lost faith in Jose already or are they pampered to the point of being spoilt? Incredible training ground and a fucking 5 star hotel and they put on that performance?
Yes. Last season the first game we played against Villa we managed to scrape a win. The performance that day was abject and somehow we won 3-1 which flattered us. A similar performance yesterday in terms of effort and it has got me worried that this season will be the same as last.

I was hoping for new season, clean slate. Start fast with intensity and set the benchmark high with a good performance and 3 points. We got the exact opposite. The start of the season is critical this year as we don't have the squad depth and will be struggling post Christmas. Only 1 game but it sent out the wrong message. Need to fix that starting with Plovdiv and more importantly Southampton.

I don't really have a problem with the goal. It was a brilliant cross and header. Dier/Toby should've done better, ok.

My problem was the sub at HT. I actually thought we were decent in the first half. Then he goes and makes an extremely negative sub, taking an attacking player off for Sissoko, and he changes the formation. Probably the weirdest tactical decision I've seen since Poch played Son at LWB. What was the supposed to accomplish? We created 3-4 great chances in the first half, and mostly limited them other than the Richarlison chance.

I think because of that we started the half extremely poorly, and it gave Everton the confidence to go win the game.

If Son rolls that into Kane instead of Alli and Doherty hits the ball 5cms lower, we probably all wouldn’t be in meltdown mode.
And Hart didn’t play - only a gooner wouldn’t know the team sheet or think that calling Pickford Hart is some kind of funny joke.
I see that but we are basing our chances of winning on a handful of chances. Odds are against you if you do this.

Long gone are the days where we had 10 shots on target. The goal scoring efficiency now has to be >80% given the number of times we take shots.

It was reactive to Richarlison having space. So he wanted more protection by putting Sissoko on the right.
When in fact the simple fix was to keep the same team. But tell Doherty to drop 10 yards. He could have saved a sub by doing that.

He wasn't happy with Dele's performance though, rightly so. He was moving like a turtle and losing the ball constantly. Unfortunately the answer is not to move Lucas to that position, who might be more mobile but loses the ball just as much.

I think you need to watch it again... Neither "just stand there"... DCL was just stronger and deals with them comfortably.

Toby the man in front to cut out the cross but The ball is well above him.

Dier is goal side with him but let’s him get in front- So “Bad” defending. Or very good attacking play. Depends on your point of view I guess.

Definite learning point for Dier anyway. Very good free kick as well tbh.

What fcuks me off is that James at 29 is exactly the type of player we need and would p!ss into our team and we were nowhere.

Of course that should be Ndombele or Lo Celso for us and it's one game but since our conductor (Eriksen) dropped the wand and let's face it that was a year before he left, the need, like a 2nd striker has been painfully apparent.

Everton aren't great but they look progressive. We are better all round (I think) but look stale and indolent.

Last edited:
Toby the man in front to cut out the cross but The ball is well above him.

Dier is goal side with him but let’s him get in front- So “Bad” defending. Or very good attacking play. Depends on your point of view I guess.

Definite learning point for Dier anyway. Very good free kick as well tbh.

Good FK.
Good Header.
Weak defending.

2 big fuckers like Toby & Dier should be eating that up.

I don't really have a problem with the goal. It was a brilliant cross and header. Dier/Toby should've done better, ok.

My problem was the sub at HT. I actually thought we were decent in the first half. Then he goes and makes an extremely negative sub, taking an attacking player off for Sissoko, and he changes the formation. Probably the weirdest tactical decision I've seen since Poch played Son at LWB. What was the supposed to accomplish? We created 3-4 great chances in the first half, and mostly limited them other than the Richarlison chance.

I think because of that we started the half extremely poorly, and it gave Everton the confidence to go win the game.
I usually defenf Dele, even on a bad day he is a goal threat that not many others are.
But he was anonymous in the first half. Barely remember him touching the ball.

Back
Top Bottom