Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yeah cause he hired him, if the manager is successful then people will say that the CEO did a great job hiring that manager.

Bottom line, if ENIC aren't partly to blame for bad results, then they don't get credit for good results.
I agree that they need to take responsibility, but that’s not how the world works. If a CEO hires someone to manage a department of their company, and that manager fails. The CEO won’t step down he will just sack the person he hired and hire someone else.

ENIC aren’t going anywhere, we can only hope they wise up and start to take some more care in their decisions when it comes to employment.

Last edited:
I agree that they need to take responsibility, but that’s not how the world works. If a CEO hires someone to manage a department of their company, and that manager fails. The CEO won’t step down he will just sack the person he hired and hire someone else.

ENIC aren’t going anywhere, we can only hope they wise up and start to take some more care in there decisions when it comes to employment.
This. I blame Levy/ENIC more for our current plight more than Mourinho because this all goes back to the neglect of the football side from 2016 onwards. Recruitment, sales and succession planning have just been a seat of the pants shambles. Trouble is how do we get rid of them? The only short term solution is getting rid of a manager that isnt working and hope we luck out on the next Redknapp or Poch. It isnt a binary blame game, quite frankly i'd like to see the whole lot clear off but you have to be realistic. Newcastle have been trying to get rid of their owner full on for 6 or 7 years.

Yeah cause he hired him, if the manager is successful then people will say that the CEO did a great job hiring that manager.

Bottom line, if ENIC aren't partly to blame for bad results, then they don't get credit for good results.

Maybe in your fantasy world but in the real world, the CEO will simply fire the manager and not retire or replace the entire workforce

ENIC aren’t going anywhere, we can only hope they wise up and start to take some more care in their decisions when it comes to employment.
Maybe in your fantasy world but in the real world, the CEO will simply fire the manager and not retire or replace the entire workforce
I saw the question as asking for my opinion whether he should quit, not what was realistic.

My view is despite the fact the squad could be improved on, both Poch and Jose are failing to get better out of them, and I believe they can all play better
I think we're 6th best rn in terms of true quality - possibly even 7th on part with Everton and Wolves

I think we're 6th best rn in terms of true quality - possibly even 7th on part with Everton and Wolves
Then Jose is doing just fine?
I think of the like of Son, Kane, Dele all player to their full potential we’d being doing better.
I also think negative tactics have stifled us, as has playing our only DM at CB, as has not giving Bergwijn a run.

You rate Ndombele highly. It’s not Levy that’s benched him.

Then Jose is doing just fine?
I think of the like of Son, Kane, Dele all player to their full potential we’d being doing better.
I also think negative tactics have stifled us, as has playing our only DM at CB, as has not giving Bergwijn a run.

You rate Ndombele highly. It’s not Levy that’s benched him.
Yes Jose keeps making baffling decision - Sunday was all on him and I said so many times

So you would agree we are shit. Not sure why you’d make a ton of posts defending the reason why we are shit, it's not like there are any signs after nearly a year working with this team that anything has been improved or addressed.

No I would not agree that we are shit.

What posts did I defend anything we did? I was posting about the overrating of Bielsa and Potter.

Now Woolwich look under Artetta and from day one of his appointment, look to have addressed their shitness. We are worse than Everton, Wolves on account of them playing us off the park. Leicester are managed better than us, play better football than us and will probably finish above us again, I'm not completely convinced by them but because they play more progressive football than us (don't choose to concede possession against Burnley) will be rewarded as a consequence.

Of great more overrating of Arteta. Last year the superstar Arteta was so amazing he got Woolwich to the lofty heights of 8th in the table and an impressive defeat to mighty Olympiakos in the Europa League. What a stud.

When did Everton play us off the pitch? When did Wolves?

I assume that the Wolves game was last season when they were so awesome that they finished behind us.

(IMO Woolwich was our best performance under Jose, didn't like how we played, but I thought it was complete Jose ball, where we controlled the majority of the game without the ball). But whilst our fanbase we're busy saying ”give Jose time” Artetta was lifting the FA Cup deservedly beating a team that has played us off the park twice last season. All these team's are better than us.

Deservedly? They were easily outplayed in the final and won solely because of the ref.

Chuck in the likes of Sheffield, Southampton and Brighton who on recent evidence have every possibility of finishing above us, on account that they play a bit of football.

These same teams that we easily finished ahead of last year playing that same bit of football are now going to finish ahead because of stuff? Anything is possible but it is highly unlikely any of those 3 teams finish ahead of us. If they get within 10 points of us that would be a good season for them.

Yes Jose keeps making baffling decision - Sunday was all on him and I said so many times
Agreed. Winks aside. I'm still reeling from the fact that Jose replaced Alli with Sissoko after the first half despite it being blatantly obvious that we needed more creativity on the pitch.

So your statement about it being 2 years of frustration isn't right then?

Post lockdown, looked decent bar Sheffield United, not tiki taka but no one expects that but decent

We did not look decent at all. United, Bourmemouth, Sheffield, Palace, Everton were all terrible performances. West Ham was marginally better but after getting a fluke goal we looked better since they had to open up.

Leicester we looked good, in large part to Brenton playing right into our hands with his tactics and line-up.

Woolwich I didn't think we played that well but given we beat those assholes I will not say anything negative about that game. The result obviously outweighs anything else.

This is a very good point and I do hope that people that furiously want him sacked realizes that sacking Jose probably again means low investment in the squad next summer since we have to pay Jose and his staff off.

He'll most likely sit out the entire season before parting ways I'd expect. He could just as well turn it around (very weird to use that phrase after ONE game).

Is that any different from the "huge" outlay we have seen this summer?

I also might prefer spending a little on the right players than spending a ton on trying to continue to make a Jose team.

As long as Jose is the manager then the right players are the ones that make a Jose team

He is unlikely to be here long term so spending big money on (likely) older, limited players that Jose likes doesn't make much sense for us and likely leaves us with holes on the team and a lot of money already spent.

As long as Jose is the manager then the right players are the ones that make a Jose team
I don’t necessarily agree with this although I understand the logic. Most clubs generally have a DoF that provides some sustainable structure regardless of who the manager is. Someone has to be responsible for the long-term health of the club.

If Jose wanted to sell Kane and Son we wouldn’t do it.

We can’t afford a situation (like Chelsea) where we back our manager and miss out on class like KDB because of a clash of personalities / styles.

Man U made a stand with Martial on that front, I’d argue they were right to.

The days of a manager having carte blanche over transfer policy ended with Wenger. Jose has to work with our transfer committee on that - in spite of how inept that are.

Back
Top Bottom