Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think a lot of his issues here are down to:

1) Shit hamstrings - which seem to be on the mend? Or at least he seems healthy
2) A shift in team shape and attacking mentality

To me, we haven't seen the best of Dele Alli since Mousa Dembele went from 'one of the best midfielders in the world' to a 'broken, sometimes useful CM'. Whether that's been through injury, shift in mentality (that was necessitated by Dembele's decline and eventual departure), or some other reason, it's hard to really say imo.

But Dele is 24 years old now, I think trying to explain why we aren't the perfect situation for Dele is giving him far too many excuses. If he was a truly great player, he would have found ways to adapt, and quite simply he hasn't. If he's a system player and we aren't playing the system to get the most out of him, then why should we hang onto him?

To me, we haven't seen the best of Dele Alli since Mousa Dembele went from 'one of the best midfielders in the world' to a 'broken, sometimes useful CM'. Whether that's been through injury, shift in mentality (that was necessitated by Dembele's decline and eventual departure), or some other reason, it's hard to really say imo.

But Dele is 24 years old now, I think trying to explain why we aren't the perfect situation for Dele is giving him far too many excuses. If he was a truly great player, he would have found ways to adapt, and quite simply he hasn't. If he's a system player and we aren't playing the system to get the most out of him, then why should we hang onto him?

I don't think we need to hang onto him; I am all for him leaving, especially if we are sticking with Jose. The system is an excuse because he does seem to be one of those players that do need a fit. Is that bad? No, there are many players that were fit for their system. Remember the brilliance of Riquelme? Some would say he was a great player, but he needed to be protected and needed a system around him. He was a star at Boca but Bielsa was hesitant to use him in the national squad because of his work ethic. He didn't succeed at Barca but had a pretty good spell at Villareal. So yeah, some players do not fit for every season and I believe Dele is that player. I brought this up yesterday, but Muller was written off as dead just a year or so ago, and then Flick happened. He went from a Kovac dud to 20 assists in the Bundesliga.

I don't think we need to hang onto him; I am all for him leaving, especially if we are sticking with Jose. The system is an excuse because he does seem to be one of those players that do need a fit. Is that bad? No, there are many players that were fit for their system. Remember the brilliance of Riquelme? Some would say he was a great player, but he needed to be protected and needed a system around him. He was a star at Boca but Bielsa was hesitant to use him in the national squad because of his work ethic. He didn't succeed at Barca but had a pretty good spell at Villareal. So yeah, some players do not fit for every season and I believe Dele is that player. I brought this up yesterday, but Muller was written off as dead just a year or so ago, and then Flick happened. He went from a Kovac dud to 20 assists in the Bundesliga.
Mueller wasn't playing regularly when Kovac was there, but I understand your point.

FWIW I see the Daily Fail is claiming PSG and Inter are keen:

Paris Saint Germain have monitored Alli for a number of years, while Inter Milan manager Antonio Conte is known to be a long-term admirer.

If Bale arrives, I'd happily cash in on Dele before his limitations get sussed by other clubs. And I agree that it's just possible a coach may create a system that fits him.

I cannot see that coach being Conte. But I would luv watching the Italian Rugman pulling his hair out in fury as another attacking transition breaks down when Dele brainlessly flicks the ball to the nearest defender.

I think this is more like Mourinho sending him a clear message that he needs to transform his work ethic or this will be his final season with Tottenham. I don’t think we would rush to sell a home grown player who contributes a good number of goals even when he’s playing badly. Of course if a good offer arrives that could change.

When I watch Dele on the pitch I don’t see a player with high energy or high intensity. I see a guy going through the motions, whatever happened to Eriksen is happening to him too. I think his repeated hamstring injuries are a major issue for him but then he needs to adapt his game. I honestly couldn’t say what his strengths are anymore, he used to be a difficult player for defenders to deal with but now it’s easy to get the ball off him. He barely even wins free kicks anymore, just falls down when someone comes near him.

I think this is more like Mourinho sending him a clear message that he needs to transform his work ethic or this will be his final season with Tottenham. I don’t think we would rush to sell a home grown player who contributes a good number of goals even when he’s playing badly. Of course if a good offer arrives that could change.

When I watch Dele on the pitch I don’t see a player with high energy or high intensity. I see a guy going through the motions, whatever happened to Eriksen is happening to him too. I think his repeated hamstring injuries are a major issue for him but then he needs to adapt his game. I honestly couldn’t say what his strengths are anymore, he used to be a difficult player for defenders to deal with but now it’s easy to get the ball off him. He barely even wins free kicks anymore, just falls down when someone comes near him.

That has been so true for far too long.

A 12/24 months loan deal to RM might make or break him, he's not become the player we had hoped in the last twelve months so maybe a change will do him good. Mourinho will be gone in two tears if his track record is anything to go by so Dele can make a glorious return to replace Bale then.

Last edited:
He's currently struggling to get in the Spurs team how will he get near the Real Madrid first 11?

No point him going there to sit on the bench. He should knuckle down here and give it everything for the next year. If it doesn't work out then next summer move on.

He's currently struggling to get in the Spurs team how will he get near the Real Madrid first 11?

No point him going there to sit on the bench. He should knuckle down here and give it everything for the next year. If it doesn't work out then next summer move on.

How would he get game time at Spurs? With a front three Bale - Son - Kane he will have no obvious starting slot .... he'd be fighting Hojbjerg, Lo Celso, Ndombele for a midfield start.

He's probably better off at RM at least he will gain new experience and win a few trophies. I hope he stays and fights but if he goes out on loan that's OK, but we shouldn't sell him that imo would be a mistake.

Back
Top Bottom