Érik Lamela

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Just the fact he’s our number 11 and we’re after Bale makes me wonder if we will try and move him on in the next few weeks.

I feel like we’d sell a lot more of those shirts if it was Bale 11 and Levy won’t want to miss out on that sweet coin.

I love Erik and his attitude and passion, but it feels like that we have always been waiting for him to have a consistent run of games. I know it's not been all his fault as he's had the worst luck with injuries. Such a waste of a career, as I think he could have been a real asset for us.

I love Erik and his attitude and passion, but it feels like that we have always been waiting for him to have a consistent run of games. I know it's not been all his fault as he's had the worst luck with injuries. Such a waste of a career, as I think he could have been a real asset for us.

Waiting so long that the guy he replaced might be coming back with four CL medals.

Really unfortunate the way things have gone for him. But he's never complained, gives his all every minute, and has shown real adoration for the club in his time with us. Never became what we dreamed of, but he's a true club servant and I've got time for him for days.

Between some of the goals, the rabona and his caning of Fabregas and Wheelchair he has contributed a lot more than a lot of spurs players down the years

Let’s be honest he has been an absolutely massive failure - he was the next big thing out of Argentine football. He was arguably the best young player in Serie A with 15 in 30 for Roma and he became nothing more than a decent squad player for us. We’ paid £30 million for him which is probably about £70 million in today’s market. We signed him to replace Bale and in truth he took over Nacer Chadlis role

Let’s be honest he has been an absolutely massive failure - he was the next big thing out of Argentine football. He was arguably the best young player in Serie A with 15 in 30 for Roma and he became nothing more than a decent squad player for us. We’ paid £30 million for him which is probably about £70 million in today’s market. We signed him to replace Bale and in truth he took over Nacer Chadlis role

Impressive seeing as we signed him at the same time as Chadli.

i know no doubt he didn’t live up to expectations but look at N’dombele, the amount we pay sometimes looks completely off how good they actually are, I’m just saying with better injury luck he could have done a real job, and we have seen milllions come in and out and done nothing at all

i know no doubt he didn’t live up to expectations but look at N’dombele, the amount we pay sometimes looks completely off how good they actually are, I’m just saying with better injury luck he could have done a real job, and we have seen milllions come in and out and done nothing at all

I dont think injury’s had anything to do with it. He is a very limited technical player, doesn’t have any pace and stoped being a goal scorer 7 years ago. He is a hard worker who puts a shift in - that’s really all he has shown in the last 7 years.

I dont think injury’s had anything to do with it. He is a very limited technical player, doesn’t have any pace and stoped being a goal scorer 7 years ago. He is a hard worker who puts a shift in - that’s really all he has shown in the last 7 years.

Of course injury played a part in stunting his growth... A big part.

Your words: "He was arguably the best young player in Serie A with 15 in 30 for Roma"

.....You think that was just him being a bit of a grafter?

Last edited:
Of course injury played a part in stunting his growth... A bit part.

Your words: "He was arguably the best young player in Serie A with 15 in 30 for Roma"

based on those figures that could be argued at the time but he only had one successful campaign to his name. There were plenty of rumours that Roma couldn’t believe the fee we paid for him.

Lamela never lived up to the billing - no where near close to doing that. He is Argentine Lucas Moura who with Neymar was the next big thing out of Brazil. Neither cane any near to living up the hype around them

based on those figures that could be argued at the time but he only had one successful campaign to his name.

That was only his second season with them and he was still only 21...

Forget the hype and price-tag.... He obviously has a decent amount of technical ability. One would logically expect him to kick on but his body didn't let him. Shame....

Think his biggest flaw is seems to totally lack peripheral vision. So once the tactician studied that they can just coach to lead him down the alley. Whereas when he was relatively unknown that flaw was masked.

Of course injury played a part in stunting his growth... A bit part.

Serie A is completely different to Premier League. Much slower. Less intense.
Lamela was not a grafter for Roma. He was a silky wide forward who had a good positional sense to score goals.
In his first and majority of his second season at Spurs, it was blatantly clear that his style of play was completely incompatible to the Premier League. Through a combination of Pochettino's persistence and brilliant coaching, coupled with Lamelas own incredible work rate and desire, he drastically altered his play style and physique to become a competent Premier League player, through nothing more than grafting and hard work.
Lamela is a very average player technically. Injury or not, this would not have changed. The theory that injury prevented him from become a superstar for us is romantic revisionism and wide of the mark

Serie A is completely different to Premier League. Much slower. Less intense.
Lamela was not a grafter for Roma. He was a silky wide forward who had a good positional sense to score goals.
In his first and majority of his second season at Spurs, it was blatantly clear that his style of play was completely incompatible to the Premier League. Through a combination of Pochettino's persistence and brilliant coaching, coupled with Lamelas own incredible work rate and desire, he drastically altered his play style and physique to become a competent Premier League player, through nothing more than grafting and hard work.
Lamela is a very average player technically. Injury or not, this would not have changed. The theory that injury prevented him from become a superstar for us is romantic revisionism and wide of the mark
Completely agree with the first part. However I don’t think he is average technically at all. I just think his game was never the best for England. I don’t understand why he would not want to go back to Italy or somewhere more suited. Biggest question is what we’re our scouts thinking? Same with Ndombele and a few others.

for me IF (its a blg if) Bale comings in its either Lamela or lucas out of the door, the money saved on wages and any transfer fee would pay part of Bales wages

Back
Top Bottom