Most disrespected player

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Martin Chivers

Should have done so much better with his talent and physique but inconsistent and if you whacked him early enough in a game he would disappear
Remember at Derby where Roy McFarland did it and at Anfield where Larry Lloyd did the same

And then there was a game at Elland Rd where he terrorised a great Leeds team in the 70s and we won 2-1 where he was unplayable making surging runs at their defence
I remember this one well as I actually met the ‘great’ Billy Nic on the train back South in the dining carriage where he took the time to chat to me and a few star struck mates in our mid teens
Wonderful man and wonderful day
:bow:

Hoddle, I've hard way too many people saying that he was "a very good player". That's like saying Richard Feynman was a decent scientist.
I can see why you've received "funnies" for this, but there's no doubt he was disrespected OUTSIDE of Spurs.

Should of got 100 + caps for England.

Apart from John Pratt and Mark Falco already mentioned, think Ian Moores, John Lacy and Mitchell Thomas got a bit of a rough ride. Out of the current crop, so many get over-the-top criticism, in fact I can't think of one that is immune - even H gets it from some quarters.

Mitch & Samways got a rough ride (from my earliest memories of the terraces)....

Can't help thinking peeps were a lot more supportive in general back in the day though.

Consider the current crop; it's insane...

Hugo,
Gazz,
Serge,
Dier,
Dav,
Davies
Winks,
Sissoko
PEH (already!!!!)
Lucas,
Dele,
Llorente (see below)

....All get as much stick as they do praise and aside from PEH they all helped us get to a CL final last year, FFS!

As the title says above, what is the most disrespected player we have had? As in players that were actually good just got talked about like they are shit

Clint Dempsey; People label this transfer a waste, forgetting that he was our second top scorer in the league with 7 goals in 29 games, we lost Bale the end of the season but him also leaving was a bad move for us in my opinion

What are your most disrespected players?
Dempsey was wank and responsible for some insufferable people turning up to this forum (not American fans in general but Dempsey had a fair few Team America types who followed him)

Samways, Anderton and Mickey Hazard were MUCH better players than they were given credit for but Kane gets nowhere near the respect he deserves or he would get if he were at 'Pool barca or Bayern.

Samways, Anderton and Mickey Hazard were MUCH better players than they were given credit for but Kane gets nowhere near the respect he deserves or he would get if he were at 'Pool barca or Bayern.

Anderton was top draw there was debate between who should be the England right winger Beckham or Anderton and Anderton was sometimes favoured, his injury record however wasn’t great to say the least.

Mitch & Samways got a rough ride (from my earliest memories of the terraces)....

Can't help thinking peeps were a lot more supportive in general back in the day though.

Consider the current crop; it's insane...

Hugo,
Gazz,
Serge,
Dier,
Dav,
Davies
Winks,
Sissoko
PEH (already!!!!)
Lucas,
Dele,
Llorente (see below)

....All get as much stick as they do praise and aside from PEH they all helped us get to a CL final last year, FFS!
Remember everton buying samways and celebrating. They bought him in those days for an unheralded £2.2 million pounds £200,000 more than we paid for Klinsman, He wasnt even capped. I dont think he ever earnt an england cap.

Pratt played 331 times for Spurs between 1965 & 1979 scoring 39 goals (1 every 8.5 games).

I think his problem was that fans used to compare him to midfielders that had prededed him like Dave Mackay etc which was very unfair.
Alan Mullery had the same problem when he first joined us.

I'll add Chris Jones to that as well.
Look at old film,the amount of nod downs etc he did for John Duncan and others.If he was around now ,people would rave about his assist rate
Technically very good - just a shame he couldn't find the back of the net on a more regular basis.

Hazard was absolute class. Right footed and left footed. Such a shame he went to Chelscum in '85.
He would have been sublime in that 86/87 team.

Back
Top Bottom