Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Abandoned by his father at birth, raised by an alcoholic single mother until she couldn't cope and handed him around different relatives before he was de facto adopted at 13.
Yes, the guy has had a really charmed life.
:harrysmile:
As you're well aware, a "charmed" footballing life, here at spurs - being a regular fixture (when fit) regardless of how awful he's been.

But let's pretend I didn't mean that... for some super weird reason.

Odd.

How would he get game time at Spurs? With a front three Bale - Son - Kane he will have no obvious starting slot .... he'd be fighting Hojbjerg, Lo Celso, Ndombele for a midfield start.

He's probably better off at RM at least he will gain new experience and win a few trophies. I hope he stays and fights but if he goes out on loan that's OK, but we shouldn't sell him that imo would be a mistake.

Let him fight for that place. Part of his problem is he hasn't had to fight for it. I think he has a lot more chance of starting than Ndombele so he's really competing with GLC for a starting place in a 433. If we play a 4231 he might have a chance to play the 10 role with Son/Bale either side and Kane up front. Then GLC and PEH in the 2 behind.
There's still more chance of him featuring here than at RM where i don't see him ever getting in that team.

I think in hindsight it was a mistake to push him out of midfield and into the support striker role. It meant he got lazy and didn't have as much responsibility to run the game and start plays. His first run in the team was as a centre midfielder and I still feel that is where he should have ended up. He used to be tenacious without the ball but seems to have lost that from his game.

He should have developed into a Lampard-type of player not this lazy version of Muller who lets the ball bounce off him.

Dele liked this tweet :sonhmm:

See, even Dele himself agrees.

I kid. I like Dele a lot. In this role as a 10 he needs to be fed the ball more. With Reguilon and Doherty creating plays from the wings, Dele could really benefit. He just has to know the right time to try his flicks. Too often he flicks the ball only to lose it for no good reason.

I worry that we'll hang onto him for too long because we can't get a sufficient fee for him
That horse has bolted already. For those that didn't recognize them very early his warts are glaring for all to see now. He is not a fundamentally sound player and never was. Goals? Yes, he scored them but what else was there? The whole "Dele's been shit today so watch him pop up with the winner" thing was real. He didn't always, or frequently for that matter, pop up with a winner but it did happen and that's what sticks in folks' minds.

But he is not a good footballer (from a technical perspective) nor a particularly smart footballer and the tribal bias perhaps prevents folks from seeing on this board but others outside do. I mean, he has been dropped from England. That should have been the wake up call for supporters to recognize there might be a problem and what you think he is he might not be. He is a limited footballer with limited tactical scope.

I am not concerned with Dele's future. I jsut hope it happens away from Spurs and he is replaced with a fundamentally sound player that can help us for the 89 minutes that Dele usually hurt us. We can let the new front 3 concern themselves with the goals. Let Dele get on with his work at Villa or Palace or Wham and then folks can admit the reality before their very eyes.

I think in hindsight it was a mistake to push him out of midfield and into the support striker role. It meant he got lazy and didn't have as much responsibility to run the game and start plays. His first run in the team was as a centre midfielder and I still feel that is where he should have ended up. He used to be tenacious without the ball but seems to have lost that from his game.
You do recognize that he was moved from the CM2 because he was absolutely horrible there, right? It was so bad tha he was moved 'in-game' and switch with Mousa. He didn't have a MFer's instincts, no understanding/anticipation of play, didn't track runs, and was essentially a liability. The move further up was an attempt to keep his goal contributions and limit his negative effects elsewhere.

And prior to the season just ended Dele spent the previous 2 seasons deeper, in the MF. And those seasons were truly horrid. This kid is not a PL level MFer. Can you imagine Dele receiving the ball under pressure and having to receive, turn and dribble to safety or deliver an accurate pass on the run? Nope, I can't either.

I truly think we will struggle to get rid if that is what they decide to do. There's always a greater fool but I'm not sure they will be found in the PL. Too much is demanded from every position to carry him and he has not developed the tools to carry his own weight.

Mueller wasn't playing regularly when Kovac was there, but I understand your point.

He played every BL game under Kovac in last season. Half of them started half from the bench.
The issue was where he played and what the instructions were, not the playing time.

I think he is quite good comparison to Alli in some ways. Though he is WC winner, 2x CL champion and WC golden boot :D but in terms of some qualities there are similarities. And yea, both of them need suitable system.

He needs to permanently covert himself into a striker, a number 9. He knows how to score, is very good with his head, he could be a very decent centre forward. As a midfielder he is finished imo

He needs to permanently covert himself into a striker, a number 9. He knows how to score, is very good with his head, he could be a very decent centre forward. As a midfielder he is finished imo

Tried that last year when Kane and Son were out and it didn't work. He struggles to play with his back to goal and doesn't have the pace to get ahead of the last man. Not a good combination.

Dele might not be a player that can carry a team, but he is a special talent and I stand by this and disagree that he isn't all that. What Dele does best is floating around in the attacking third: small flicks and touches, good vision and skills. He is also a goal scorer and when on form his finishing skills is fantastic.

The problem is confidence, something he lacks a lot at the moment and the last year for that sake. Maybe he will get it back, maybe it's gone, but to give up on him would be silly. For me though, it's far too early to give up on him - the price for getting the old Dele back is too big.

Tick tock
This is a three year old discussion for us who saw it years ago.
Fuck knows what everyone else was looking at because it’s the same now as it was then.

Bored of the whole saga. Improve or leave.

I’m relieved RM passed up on Dele. Think people here need to give Dele some credit. He’s declined for sure and is in a slump but who isn’t? He is still one of our more creative players and still young. You can’t give up on this kind of talent so early.

Back
Top Bottom