Huddlestone

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think he isn't naturally slim and therefore needs to constantly work hard to keep fit, his lack of games don't help him (probably why AVB wanted him to go on loan). I suppose not everyone can eat shitloads of cheese and bacon burgers / double cheeseburgers and keep a 32 inch waistline.

Yeah, I'm talking about the svelte motherfucker that is me! :D

I wonder how he would fit in the hole? Sometimes we see him dribble superbly, showing wonderful awareness of players around him, and other times he doesn't appear to have any idea he isn't alone till he is robbed. But it could be interesting to see him receiving Ade's knockdowns and being creative...

And he sure can hit the ball hard when it comes to shooting from distance.

I've always loved Tommy, mainly for those fucking sublime passes he hits... but as already highlighted his mobility is shocking, last night i swear he almost fell over trying to turn around too quickly..

:harryblow:

I've always loved Tommy, mainly for those fucking sublime passes he hits... but as already highlighted his mobility is shocking, last night i swear he almost fell over trying to turn around too quickly..

:harryblow:
I am pretty sure he took the first penalty because he couldn't be arsed to walk to the halfway line after extra time:lloris:

I'd have Huddlestone over Parker at the moment. Wouldn't mind him getting 90 minutes at Stoke/Wigan away and/or Southampton at home.

I agree with what the OP has said.
Huddlestone has been looking good recently, and it is time for Parker to be used only for the higher quality opponents remaining (Man City & Chelsea).
Hudd's eye for a pass is damn good and it is that final ball that we have been missing this season.

I'd also like to see Tom Carroll eased in soon.

I'd rather we played Tom Carroll than Huddlestone.

Carroll passes and moves, Huddlestone just passes.

Last couple of games will have put him back on the map though, so hopefully we can get a tidy sum for him in the summer.

I think he isn't naturally slim and therefore needs to constantly work hard to keep fit, his lack of games don't help him (probably why AVB wanted him to go on loan). I suppose not everyone can eat shitloads of cheese and bacon burgers / double cheeseburgers and keep a 32 inch waistline.

Yeah, I'm talking about the svelte motherfucker that is me! :D

Appreciate its easier said than done but surely on match days where he's not been in the squad or on rest days where he is but not got any playing time, he could go run a marathon or even half marathon for a few hours.
I know I'm over-simplifying but he must realise his mobility is holding back his career to being a sub for us when we've an injury crisis from potentially being a starter for England (has the raw tools to be better than Carrick)

What we're missing is Modric.

The question is, big Tom or little Tom?

Perhaps the last few of this season should be big Tom, then next season little Tom. I'd definitely look to give Carroll the chance to prove himself starting in a number of "proper" games sooner rather than later rather than keeping Huddlestone ahead of him.

Toms problem isn't body fat. Toms problem is his total body mass combined with the fact, that he has very long legs relative to body height and thus a high point of gravity (a reversed Modric Symptome, so to speak).

That effects his lateral movement - his ability to move in one direction and then change to another direction.

When people watch him play, it looks as if he is dog slow - and because of his frame as if he is fat. Really though it is him who has to deal with halting the kinetic movement of his entire mass quickly and then getting his legs "under" him and into position to shift weight, all while balancing on his high gravity point.

It isn't pretty and never will be. In particular not with his bad luck with injuries.

However personally I think he was a pleasant suprise in his two sub camoes and he certainly is good on the ball, so much better than Dembélé and Parker.

He certainly could play an important role, in particular against Stoke and Southampton.

A worry about starting Tom H is that when he's hurried or closed down he offers nowt . I agree with whoever said that he makes more of an impact when he's brought on against tired legs. A couple of our lads passed to him or played it for Tom to run on to, it always ended up in him stretching for the ball as his mobility is that limited . Such a shame as he's a good footballer.

I think Tom's problem is he's a bit 'old school' in his thinking, in that 'cos he KNOWS he can pick out a killer pass, he's never really ever NEEDED speed in his game (I'd compare him in that respect to A poor man's Hoddle)
But when we're being 'treated' to the modern day 'complete midfielder' like Yaya Toure today at Wembley, and again, to A lesser extent, Dembele... It's plain for all to see that ability/technique are no longer enough in the modern game, it's all about the speed baby!

Tom's biggest problem is that he was born 30 years too late. He'd have DOMINATED an '80s Division 1 midfield!

In my opinion his performances against Everton, Basel & City have been top rate.
Although Parker has done well, Hudd desrves a chance against Wigan at least and give Parker a rest.
He's has provided that creative spark 3 games in a row; not much more he can do to warrant a starting 11 spot IMO

What are everyone's view?

I think AVB prefers to keep it tight for the first hour then switch things up for the win against tired legs, in the same way Defoe's speed and agility oftne make him an impact sub, Hudds range of passing and vision opens up defences in a way that they havent been used to for the first 60 mins.

Agree Hudd has been a game changer, not so sure if it would work from the offset. That in mind though nothing wrong with going for the kill, scoring 4 and then bringing Hudd off for Parker in a reverse tactic...

Still think he's better as an impact sub. Just don't think he's for the athleticism to play that role for 90 mins without getting exposed defensively several times, particularly on counter attacks.

I do love the big lug though!

Agreed 100% he is devastating as a game changer from the bench, we need energy and tenacity in the opening stages of a game, he can't provide that, but once their midfield and defence are knackered in the second half we can wheel him out like a big artillery gun and pound the fuck out of teams.

Back
Top Bottom