Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Jesse Lingard was probably a bit much.

Jermaine Jenas, perhaps. Because at the very least, Jenas would pop up with some goals or assists here and there. But also remain pretty invisible for the rest of the game.
Dele is technically superior to both those players

I think his issue are mental - ie his head is not in it

Dele is technically superior to both those players

I think his issue are mental - ie his head is not in it

Where has this myth that Dele is technically good come from?

Do people even know what technically good means?

He doesn't have great close control, he can't operate in tight spaces, he can't strike a ball these days.

He was never technically good or consistent. He was a runner who has shown flashes of great skill.

I'd argue both Son and Lucas fall into the category too, of not being technically consistent enough.

That is why we have often struggled to create against teams that sit back.

Players like Son, Lucas, Alli are great with space to run into but they don't really interchange well with quick, short passes to move the opposition around (See Bernardo Silva, Jesus. Mahrez as examples of players that do this).

Notice our performances improve once we have technically reliable players on the pitch: Lo Celso, Ndombele - even Hojberg is an improvement on Sissoko in that respect.

Add Bale and Regulion to this team and we may well tip the balance towards footballers than runners in our XI and that's a great thing.

Jesse Lingard was probably a bit much.

Jermaine Jenas, perhaps. Because at the very least, Jenas would pop up with some goals or assists here and there. But also remain pretty invisible for the rest of the game.
Jenas made us tick IMO.
People never seemed to realise we were quite poor without him.

Jenas made us tick IMO.
People never seemed to realise we were quite poor without him.

I think because our depth was so much worse. If Jenas was missing, who would be replacing him? Danny Murphy? Hossam Ghaly?

Jenas would regularly go missing in games. But his goal involvement would gloss over that in the eyes of some because we rarely had a goalscoring central midfielder.

Of course they are a joke.

It was actually pretty embarrassing that Danny Rose even got in the team back in the 16/17 season considering he completed just 17 games.

BAsically Dele Alli needs other players to perform to make him look good - I thought as much. Take away Dembele creating space and wing backs stretching opposition and you have Jesse Lingard really, don't you?

That in itself tells me that we need to get rid.

He can't and hasn't adapted - it's why he's usually pretty bang average for England too. Whilst England CAN replicate stretching the opposition, there is no one in midfield who can create space like a prime Dembele so he often finds it too congested and his lack of technical ability shines through.

Consider the fact that England now either play 3 at the back or 433 - he again, finds himself with no true place in the team due to his lack of true ability as either a wide forward or a central midfielder.

At least Lingard puts effort in, unless Alli has the ball at his feet he gives us very little, even then its usually less rather than more, these days.

I think because our depth was so much worse. If Jenas was missing, who would be replacing him? Danny Murphy? Hossam Ghaly?

Jenas would regularly go missing in games. But his goal involvement would gloss over that in the eyes of some because we rarely had a goalscoring central midfielder.
I didn't say he was Luka Modric.
I just said through all the criticism our fans gave him, we were better with him than without.
I think despite his injury record, he was a very fit guy that might not have had hundreds of touches of the ball every match, but he kept himself busy during games.
Some players can cause opposition trouble just by being on the pitch as they move around and take markers with them. It's why sometimes a striker who doesn't score loads of goals is still highly rated. for example.

I will always remember the goal at Palace but now he looks like a player who has had an injury and is not the same now.
Problem is there was no injury ?
Time to get what we can and move on. I just wish we had signed the right Fernandez!

I will always remember the goal at Palace but now he looks like a player who has had an injury and is not the same now.
Problem is there was no injury ?
Time to get what we can and move on. I just wish we had signed the right Fernandez!
He did have his first (and quite bad) hamstring injury in 18/19 during the Fulham game. It seems he's been struggling with it since then, and has only just recovered from it in the break between last season and this one. His dip in form coincides with that injury, and while I don't think it's the whole reason, it's certainly knocked his confidence and performances on the pitch, which has only spiralled by being reduced to the bench. I'm not sure there's a lot of hope for Dele left with Jose if he doesn't improve quickly.

I thought Dele was fine yesterday. It wasn't a great performance, but he was getting into decent positions and nearly scored, just like he nearly did against Everton. Obviously he needs to be more consistent, but I'd like to see if we could get him in a team with Lo Celso and Ndombele during this season.

Dele's strength was his late arrival in the box and scoring goals. He scored 8 goals last season which was more than Moura and if he can repeat that should stay. The problem for Dele is the style of play has changed and no one is picking his runs out and he has then stopped making them. Perhaps he misses Eriksen but it is Lo Celso or Ndombele he needs to set him up. He will never be able to do this if the team park the bus but if they play like Southampton then he can do it.

Sorry but for a elite athlete plays for a team that's aiming the top 4 he needs to do better that getting into decent positions. If that was the standard we should have insisted in Paulinho.

I thought Dele was fine yesterday. It wasn't a great performance, but he was getting into decent positions and nearly scored, just like he nearly did against Everton. Obviously he needs to be more consistent, but I'd like to see if we could get him in a team with Lo Celso and Ndombele during this season.

I'd argue that Alli's become very consistent - he nearly scores quite regularly. He nearly pulls off a good pass all the time. He nearly doesn't lose the ball every time he gets it. And he always gives up after a while.

I think the only way he gets in this team, or any team now as they don’t seem to play with tens, is if he reinvents himself as an 8. He’s got all the tools for it, but I do t know if he wants it.
I just don't think he's sharp enough at the moment to be an 8, or any bloody position to be fair. He's beginning to look like he needs to play as a big fish in a small pond. He always seems to need that extra split second that you just don't get at elite level.

It's disappointing that he hasn't been able to turn it around. But it does seem to me that we, as fans are more upset than he is that his output/level has dropped so noticeably since his peak 16-17 days. I honestly would love nothing more than to get the Dele of old back. I've said it before, but I do get the feeling that football isn't as important to him as someone like Harry or Sonny. In his own mind he knows he'll be OK without it as he has transcended football. However he needs to be wary. The celebrity life is more fickle than the football family.

He has always been better in the big matches like against the top 6 clubs and not against the park the bus sides as he cannot find the space against those sides and needs them to attack us. It could also be a motivational thing that with big crowds it motivates him but with no fans he just cannot get going. He will not be the first player that really can only produce his best when motivated. After all our performances over the years against lower division teams is poor and then we raise the level against a top 6 club.
He is more likely to play in the Europa cup game this week than against MU but the later game is more likely to motivate him.

My honest view on Alli in football terms.

He runs beyond the striker. He runs in the shadows.

To do both and with confidence you need players who can supply such balls. We now have Ndombele who can do it but needs to be on the pitch. Lo Celso maybe. Eriksen in his pomp did it time after time.

Much as Alli has undoubtedly lost his spark, there is also the loss of supply and it should not be readily forgotten.

I think he will move on and I also think wherever he goes there will be moments when we regret his loss but whether they will be greater than what we gain I don't know.

Back
Top Bottom