Have we signed Milan Škriniar yet?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

MfCfox7.png

enskRol.png

R23ajjY.png

Pretty shocking stats to be honest but at least he passes well. Althought it might be due to lower numbers of long passes attempted.
His numbers last season were pretty poor, no surprises there.

It would be interesting to see a comparison in relation to their last three seasons (except for Tanganga, obviously).

If we are going to continue to play this ludicrous high line with a slow centre back in Skriniar who isn't the best aerially, why would it be any better?

An actual defensive midfielder to screen our back four would probably have helped more. Alderweireld and Sanchez are not bad footballers and are not bad defenders - yet far worse look more solid for other teams in the same league.

Why?

bringing in a new defender isn't (necessarily)going to improve our defending.
I would strongly recommend you re-read that statement. If you are still happy with it and don't think that the word 'necessarily' inserted between isn't and going doesn't help to back up the logic of your post then sorry, it's utter bunkum.

Amendment Totti Totti
Nice re-edit, now it's no longer nonsense
:dierpochhug:

Last edited:
I would strongly recommend you re-read that statement. If you are still happy with it and don't think that the word 'necessarily' inserted between isn't and going doesn't help to back up the logic of your post then sorry, it's utter bunkum.

Feel free.

Point still stands.

Thanks Hagrid.

MfCfox7.png

enskRol.png

R23ajjY.png

Pretty shocking stats to be honest but at least he passes well. Althought it might be due to lower numbers of long passes attempted.
Bench Toby, Dier is much better according to these stats.
Stats are fucking lies, you can't read here that how often they lose a man on a corner kick, lose posession in terrible manner or that it takes 5s for them to control the ball, turn and pass to someone else.
Skriniar is going to be our best CB if we get him, he's not VVD but worth 40m.

If we are going to continue to play this ludicrous high line with a slow centre back in Skriniar who isn't the best aerially, why would it be any better?

An actual defensive midfielder to screen our back four would probably have helped more. Alderweireld and Sanchez are not bad footballers and are not bad defenders - yet far worse look more solid for other teams in the same league.

Why?
Skriniar isn’t slow - neither is Tanganga

Feel free.

Point still stands.

Thanks Hagrid.
You are 100% right though. Skriniar went from looking world class to below average in like a year and a half due to changes in tactics and instructions. Look at David Luiz, from clown show in a back 4 to winning every game in a back 5.

Bench Toby, Dier is much better according to these stats.
Stats are fucking lies, you can't read here that how often they lose a man on a corner kick, lose posession in terrible manner or that it takes 5s for them to control the ball, turn and pass to someone else.
Skriniar is going to be our best CB if we get him, he's not VVD but worth 40m.
I don't think he's better than Toby from what I've seen to be fair.

Stats don't lie, they just don't tell the whole truth. But that goes both ways. Skriniar is known for making rash tackles, being very aggressive and last year he played like he always did, but worse.

What makes you say that he'd be our best CB? Reputation?

Skriniar isn’t slow - neither is Tanganga

He certainly isn't quick. Not the best mobility either. We certainly wouldn't be able to partner Alderweireld and Skriniar in a back four with a high line without Reguilon and Doherty needing to do more than their fair share of defensive work and pray Lloris has a worldie.

Tanganga and Sanchez are our quickest - yet we have one who can't seem to get in the team consistently ahead of Eric Dier and the other who seems to train yet never fit enough to actually make the squad.

Said it before - bringing in a new defender isn't necessarily going to improve our defending. We need to be better coached and more well drilled when defending. It shouldn't even matter who we have at the back. Alderweireld and Sanche are not bad defenders.

FFS, I've seen the likes of James Tarkowski and Ben Mee look solid and keep cleansheets - these aren't top class centre backs. But they've been well coached on the training ground and defend well, not just together as a partnership but defensively as a team.

Yes, I am all for backing anyone Mourinho wants in - but people expecting Skriniar to just turn us from the calamity we are defensively right now into prime Poch years need to wake up.

Yes but they are well coached and drilled first game of the season Dier and Sanchez both don't pick up Lewin who ghosts between them both second game Dier loses sense of where he is and let's Ings ghost past him. And Sanchez almost gifted them one also.

Individual mistakes at the back are a key weakness of the back 4.

Yes but they are well coached and drilled first game of the season Dier and Sanchez both don't pick up Lewin who ghosts between them both second game Dier loses sense of where he is and let's Ings ghost past him. And Sanchez almost gifted them one also.

Individual mistakes at the back are a key weakness of the back 4.
If every single player makes the same kind of mistake over and over, it's at least partly structural (coaching/tactical)

If every single player makes the same kind of mistake over and over, it's at least partly structural (coaching/tactical)

Or a player who is not great?

You cant deny we look more solid under Mourinho then we did Poch. Structure wise we look solid I think but a coach can't account for players making mistakes and not concentrating. Especially players who are supposed to be in there prime

I don't think he's better than Toby from what I've seen to be fair.

Stats don't lie, they just don't tell the whole truth. But that goes both ways. Skriniar is known for making rash tackles, being very aggressive and last year he played like he always did, but worse.

What makes you say that he'd be our best CB? Reputation?
A bit yes, I know, that the fact we can lure him is based on his worse season.
But before that he was playing good for a long time, and is young.
I just don't rate our defenders, Toby was a gem but he's old and his performances and pace dropped a lot. Sanchez and Dier are both incomplete defenders capable of making brainflops and losing concentration and man they marked, and this consistency is a thing that Skriniar will definitely have if he gets back to his usual game.

Edit: Sanchez is young as well, I know, but I can't see any development here in recent year or so.

He certainly isn't quick. Not the best mobility either. We certainly wouldn't be able to partner Alderweireld and Skriniar in a back four with a high line without Reguilon and Doherty needing to do more than their fair share of defensive work and pray Lloris has a worldie.

Tanganga and Sanchez are our quickest - yet we have one who can't seem to get in the team consistently ahead of Eric Dier and the other who seems to train yet never fit enough to actually make the squad.
How many times have you seen Skriniar play - doesn’t sound like much? He most definitely isn’t slow

Amendment Totti Totti
Now you hugging Totti. I thought we was exclusive?

Amendment Totti Totti
You are fast becoming the forum hoe with all those hugs.

Milan is actually common name in slavenian culture.
Mandarić and Baros being 2 well known Milan's from the world of association football. But I suspect Swellhead knew this and was playing for funnies. Which I gave him. Because it was. As far as I was concerned.

Back
Top Bottom