Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Siege mentality is a double edge sword, and it can go as you said. But if properly managed (as in "fuck all, we are stronger than everything and we are gonna show you") it can be a big advantage

I saw my national team (Italy) winning two world cups because of that (in relation to the criticism they were getting from the press, mainly). Of course you need more than that, but it can make a difference

Possibly. but it could be that approach is more suited to a tournament where all the players are of the same nationality. An 'us and them' approach may work more effectively in a short-term high-pressure environment like that.

Over a long football season, i still feel your energy is better focused on what you can control rather than what you can't.

Possibly. but it could be that approach is more suited to a tournament where all the players are of the same nationality. An 'us and them' approach may work more effectively in a short-term high-pressure environment like that.

Over a long football season, i still feel your energy is better focused on what you can control rather than what you can't.
I think it can give (not always) that extra mental energy to always give everything you got and never take things for granted. Of course, if it turns into an "everything is against us" frame of mind it's a different story

Yes exactly. It's dangerous to go full on siege in the second week of the season, when the players are already fatigued. It's going to be a long, long season.

Jose Set up for 3-0 , poch signing made it 1-1, we could have easily scored at least 3 in first half and concede none , lloris made 0 save and they made 0 shots on target, we actually in total control yet didn't win. I prefer us playing shite football and win than this

First half against Newcastle was a continuation of the last 45 minutes against Southampton. We played really well - with Lo Celso as a 10. We pressed better up front, we were organized to create (loads of) chances.

We need to build from that.
Disagree with this.

We coughed-up loads of chances against Southampton, EVEN IN THE 2ND HALF!! The team shape wasn't solid and we relied on Southampton missing their chances almost as much as Newcastle did on us missing ours.

Yesterday we were excellent in the 1st half, whilst Newcastle weren't good, their game plan was to play a low-block and frustrate us, so our excellence was to by-pass their block. We did this with variety in our attacks, good movement and rotation from forwards, shots from outside the box as well as from insides and players willing to take on and commit their oppo 1v1 (see Kane's assist). I was very encouraged by this because I think under Jose we've looked shit when the oppo sit deep (admittedly this doesn't happen that often as it's usually us doing that).

The 2nd half wasn't as fluid or as dominantly controlled but we still bossed our oppo limiting them to nothing.
Our shape when without the ball (not that often) was also excellent, with players knowing their roles and sticking to them. I don't know if it was something deliberate by us to let them have a tad more of the ball than in the first half, it might have been because our strength is in transition, our goal came from a transition, so maybe we were looking to do the same by conceding 10% of the ball to them (still +60% of the ball) and hoping to transition again (???).

But this was a controlled performance, Southampton was anything but a controlled performance. Sometimes you have a game where you have 6 shots and score 5 goals, in others you have 23 shots and score one. This Newcastle game was a game that we controlled throughout from start to finish, we had no such control in the Southampton game even in 2nd half.

I find it hard to criticise us for the game yesterday. If I want to be harsh then I'd say under different Tottenham managers we would have pushed harder for the 2nd goal (I'm not ignoring that this can make you too open at the back), our default under Jose is still to sit on a lead.

Whilst all of us hate the new handball law, this doesn't mean that they don't actually exist. So now more than ever when you play a team that plays for a point and is within 5mins and 1 goal of that objective becoming a reality for them, then it's the wrong way to approach a game. This handball law will favour an attacker and gives any defender zero chance, so ignore this law at your peril. There can't have been a single person that knows Bruce's game plan when bringing on Carroll. We simply need to push for more than a 1 goal advantage than looking to lock up a game at 1-0, Jose needs to change this mindset.

Last edited:
e6368b0896583c69086c916d7d03c96d--adam-ant-prince-charming.jpg
Loved Adam Ant, his concert was one of the best shows I've ever seen.

Back
Top Bottom