Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Disagree with this.

We coughed-up loads of chances against Southampton, EVEN IN THE 2ND HALF!! The team shape wasn't solid and we relied on Southampton missing their chances almost as much as Newcastle did on us missing ours.

Yesterday we were excellent in the 1st half, whilst Newcastle weren't good, their game plan was to play a low-block and frustrate us, so our excellence was to by-pass their block. We did this with variety in our attacks, good movement and rotation from forwards, shots from outside the box as well as from insides and players willing to take on and commit their oppo 1v1 (see Kane's assist). I was very encouraged by this because I think under Jose we've looked shit when the oppo sit deep (admittedly this doesn't happen that often as it's usually us doing that).

The 2nd half wasn't as fluid or as dominantly controlled but we still bossed our oppo limiting them to nothing.
Our shape when without the ball (not that often) was also excellent, with players knowing their roles and sticking to them. I don't know if it was something deliberate by us to let them have a tad more of the ball than in the first half, it might have been because our strength is in transition, our goal came from a transition, so maybe we were looking to do the same by conceding 10% of the ball to them (still +60% of the ball) and hoping to transition again (???).

But this was a controlled performance, Southampton was anything but a controlled performance. Sometimes you have a game where you have 6 shots and score 5 goals, in others you have 23 shots and score one. This Newcastle game was a game that we controlled throughout from start to finish, we had no such control in the Southampton game even in 2nd half.

I find it hard to criticise us for the game yesterday. If I want to be harsh then I'd say under different Tottenham managers we would have pushed harder for the 2nd goal (I'm not ignoring that this can make you too open at the back), our default under Jose is still to sit on a lead.

Whilst all of us hate the new handball law, this doesn't mean that they don't actually exist. So now more than ever when you play a team that plays for a point and is within 5mins and 1 goal of that objective becoming a reality for them, then it's the wrong way to approach a game. This handball law will favour an attacker and gives any defender zero chance, so ignore this law at your peril. There can't have been a single person that knows Bruce's game plan when bringing on Carroll. We simply need to push for more than a 1 goal advantage than looking to lock up a game at 1-0, Jose needs to change this mindset.
Still, and that was my point, we are a different team when Lo Celso is playing as a 10.

We press up front with our four attacking players in a 3+1 unit. The central attacking midfielder is hugely important in this process. When Dele Alli played as a 10 against Everton, we were "soft" in our first defensive phase - and the rest of the team suffered as a consequence. The same thing happened when Ndombele played as a 10 in the first half against Southampton.

You say we conceded chances in the second half against Southampton (until a certain point, we did; the game was broken), but I can guarantee you that we conceded much more chances in the first 45 minutes. Our best performance came yesterday against Newcastle, yes - but the improvements started when Lo Celso came into the team (in the number 10 position) in the second half against the Saints.

Last edited:
The manner of our performance, the style of our football was the best we’ve played since his initial honeymoon period.

Leaving aside the ridiculous injustice of how we lost the win, there’s a lot to look forward to if that carries on.

I loved what he said, especially in the end. He clearly recognizes the game was entirely ours.

It was not about being wasteful, and it´s not that Jose needs to start getting results

Still, and that was my point, we are a different team when Lo Celso is playing as a 10.

We press up front with our four attacking players in a 3+1 unit. The central attacking midfielder is hugely important in this process. When Dele Alli played as a 10 against Everton, we were "soft" in our first defensive phase - and the rest of the team suffered as a consequence. The same thing happened when Ndombele played as a 10 in the first half against Southampton.

You say we conceded chances in the second half against Southampton (until a certain point, we did; the game was broken), but I can guarantee you that we conceded much more chances in the first 45 minutes. Our best performance came yesterday against Newcastle, yes - but the improvements started when Lo Celso came into the team (in the number 10 position) in the second half against the Saints.
I'm not in disagreement whatsoever regarding Lo Celso, I think he's mustard and as a direct consequence, we improve how we play when he's in the line-up. I also agree regarding Ndombele, he's not a 10 he comes alive when breaking oppo lines getting the ball into that 10 space be that from a dribble or verticle pass.

My point remains entirely on controlling games. We rarely have control of a game, when we have it's mainly been for one half of football. Now I have to balance what control is with Jose, his teams are able to control games without the ball, we've seen this best executed with Chelsea and with us it was best illustrated when we played Woolwich and Liverpool (H) last season. Against Southampton we didn't have control at all, yes we had an attacking plan, what pleased me was that it was clearly deliberate, something that I believed we've totally lacked under Jose, putting together repeatable passages of play (added by a dumb Southampton but who cares) is clear and visible signs of coaching.

It's obvious to say we had control of the game on Sunday (Newcastle) but what I liked was our attacking variations and rotations, especially in the first half and against a low-block team, highly encouraging but without the ball, I thought we were really good, positionally everyone covering and showing for the ball and then the goal coming from a very, very quick transition (the only one I think Newcastle actually gave us on account of them rarely venturing into our half), again all signs of coaching. This is all I have been looking for BUT we do have to string a few of these together now to demonstrate the work off the pitch.

I'm waffling now but the point is Newcastle game was us having control. Southampton game we didn't INCLUDING the 2nd half. I'd be very optimistic about our chances this season if we played more games like Newcastle than Southampton which was just a basket ball game.

I'm not in disagreement whatsoever regarding Lo Celso, I think he's mustard and as a direct consequence, we improve how we play when he's in the line-up. I also agree regarding Ndombele, he's not a 10 he comes alive when breaking oppo lines getting the ball into that 10 space be that from a dribble or verticle pass.

My point remains entirely on controlling games. We rarely have control of a game, when we have it's mainly been for one half of football. Now I have to balance what control is with Jose, his teams are able to control games without the ball, we've seen this best executed with Chelsea and with us it was best illustrated when we played Woolwich and Liverpool (H) last season. Against Southampton we didn't have control at all, yes we had an attacking plan, what pleased me was that it was clearly deliberate, something that I believed we've totally lacked under Jose, putting together repeatable passages of play (added by a dumb Southampton but who cares) is clear and visible signs of coaching.

It's obvious to say we had control of the game on Sunday (Newcastle) but what I liked was our attacking variations and rotations, especially in the first half and against a low-block team, highly encouraging but without the ball, I thought we were really good, positionally everyone covering and showing for the ball and then the goal coming from a very, very quick transition (the only one I think Newcastle actually gave us on account of them rarely venturing into our half), again all signs of coaching. This is all I have been looking for BUT we do have to string a few of these together now to demonstrate the work off the pitch.

I'm waffling now but the point is Newcastle game was us having control. Southampton game we didn't INCLUDING the 2nd half. I'd be very optimistic about our chances this season if we played more games like Newcastle than Southampton which was just a basket ball game.
I agree with almost everything you´ve wrote here.

Southampton away is a different match in relation to Newcastle at home, though. You are talking about two different performances (second half against Southampton and first half against Newcastle), but they were both performances at a high level and in two different ways (with more possession and with more counter attacking football, respectively), Jose´s 4-2-3-1 with Lo Celso as a 10 worked very well - during 90 minutes against Everton, and in the first half against Southampton, it didn´t.

I agree with almost everything you´ve wrote here.

Southampton away is a different match in relation to Newcastle at home, though. You are talking about two different performances (second half against Southampton and first half against Newcastle), but they were both performances at a high level and in two different ways (with more possession and with more counter attacking football, respectively), Jose´s 4-2-3-1 with Lo Celso as a 10 worked very well - during 90 minutes against Everton, and in the first half against Southampton, it didn´t.
Yep, I agree and hard to make direct comparisons as the games (the oppo) were very different challenges.

Basically, right now I'm looking for control of our game (with the ball) and control of the oppo (without the ball). Whilst personnel is the difference to a really good performance or a bad one I do think the system played and how those players play is key to assessing if we are onto something or not irrespective of who's playing. A well-coached side is still that and should be greater than the sum of its parts.

I honestly haven't seen enough sustained evidence of control from us to suggest that with the ball we control games and without the ball we control games. Against Newcastle, I thought we were excellent in both facets (with and without the ball). If we can repeat this level of control then I can start to be a lot more optimistic. Yes, will have harder challenges than Newcastle and by way of example if we played Liverpool tomorrow my optimism would increase should we control without the ball and that doesn't mean rope-a-dope on the edge of our box relying on Lloris, the post or wasteful finishing from them, it means we reduce them to fuck all and we offer a threat on the counter-attack.

Yep, I agree and hard to make direct comparisons as the games (the oppo) were very different challenges.

Basically, right now I'm looking for control of our game (with the ball) and control of the oppo (without the ball). Whilst personnel is the difference to a really good performance or a bad one I do think the system played and how those players play is key to assessing if we are onto something or not irrespective of who's playing. A well-coached side is still that and should be greater than the sum of its parts.

I honestly haven't seen enough sustained evidence of control from us to suggest that with the ball we control games and without the ball we control games. Against Newcastle, I thought we were excellent in both facets (with and without the ball). If we can repeat this level of control then I can start to be a lot more optimistic. Yes, will have harder challenges than Newcastle and by way of example if we played Liverpool tomorrow my optimism would increase should we control without the ball and that doesn't mean rope-a-dope on the edge of our box relying on Lloris, the post or wasteful finishing from them, it means we reduce them to fuck all and we offer a threat on the counter-attack.
A comparison could be made in relation to the final matches of last season.

We were a good team when we could find spaces to counter - Leicester, Woolwich -, but we struggled against teams expected to sit deep (like Newcastle did yesterday). We were good in a very specific scenario - an incomplete team. Yesterday, we played in a way that we were not able to play against the likes of Bournemouth (0-0) last season. It was probably our best performance in this type of scenario under Jose.

Notice that, while the second half against Southampton was not perfect, we scored four times and absolutely destroyed their hopes in the game. Basically, they allowed us to play counter attacking football - even when they were winning; our equalizer in the first half was also a counter attack. We were good at killing teams this way last season - we are probably even better now.

Last season we were not able, however, to play the way we did against Newcastle yesterday - and yet, we still need to get used to play in this way. We had our best game so far, but we were not clinical enough, and the result was at risk until the end - we will get better from now on.

It´s a process - we are moving.

Last edited:
A comparison could be made in relation to the final matches of last season.

We were a good team when we could find spaces to counter - Leicester, Woolwich -, but we struggled against teams expected to sit deep (like Newcastle did yesterday). We were good in a very specific scenario - an incomplete team. Yesterday, we played in a way that we were not able to play against the likes of Bournemouth (0-0) last season. It was probably our best performance in this type of scenario under Jose.

Notice that, while the second half against Southampton was not perfect, we scored four times and absolutely destroyed their hopes in the game. Basically, they allowed us to play counter attacking football - even when they were winning; our equalizer in the first half was also a counter attack. We were good at killing teams this way last season - we are probably even better now.

Last season we were not able, however, to play the way we did against Newcastle yesterday - and yet, we still need to get used to play in this way. We had our best game so far, but we were not clinical enough, and the result was at risk until the end - we will get better from now on.

It´s a process - we are moving.
I agree the most encouraging thing was to see us break down a team that came to sit and defend. I wasn't sure we had the players for it post Eriksen. So it was great to see, but I couldn't really work out what's changed or how we did it, when we couldn't do it last year? We pressed better, but we also created chances in possession, not just in transition. Felt like Doherty gave us some width and Reguilón can only at to that.

I agree the most encouraging thing was to see us break down a team that came to sit and defend. I wasn't sure we had the players for it post Eriksen. So it was great to see, but I couldn't really work out what's changed or how we did it, when we couldn't do it last year? We pressed better, but we also created chances in possession, not just in transition. Felt like Doherty gave us some width and Reguilón can only at to that.
I just wish for Bale to get back to his best soon, an inform and fit Gareth Bale is nightmare to defend against whether you are parking the bus or not, maybe he isn't as fast and explosive he was before but his creativity , experience and intelligent will be crucial for us

I think the width is a big part of it, and it's no coincidence we were at our most effective when we had peak Walker and Rose. Really excited to see what Regui will bring. I also think that Kane's evolution as a playmaker will help us unlock the bus parkers. Haven't really thought about Kane's play the last few years and if he was already growing into the assister role, but if he continues to embrace and hone it, with the wing forwards we have like Son, Bale, Lucas, Bergwijn, etc, and support from the likes of Gio and Tanguy, one could see how we should be able to break down those types of teams better.

Mourinho at his spiky & mischievous best in the pre-match interview.

You just know he wants to get one over Fat Frank and the FA and the EPL and UEFA and FIFA and referees and and and......

Mourinho hates losing.
I bet he literally kicked Dier out of the pisser and back onto the pitch.
We need a dressing room feed to see the celebrations without any Amazon/ENIC editing.

Back
Top Bottom