Spurs Youth 2020/21

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

They have always taken it seriously but if a young player wants to leave what can the club do. This lad is doing well at PSV but other highly rated departures like Reo Griffiths who left to Lyon hasn't done much and I see Keenan Bennetts is on loan at Ipswich after struggling in Germany

Provide a pathway

One player through to the first team in 6 years = unacceptable failure

If we persist with what we have done in last 6 years we would have no club trained players = problem to get a full squad in european tournaments.

If we produce a decent set of club treained players we dont need to buy squad players and we do not need to buy other HG players.

Simple really

Provide a pathway

If we persist with what we have done in last 6 years we would have no club trained players = problem to get a full squad in european tournaments.

If we produce a decent set of club treained players we dont need to buy squad players and we do not need to buy other HG players.

Simple really

We have a pathway. There is no player who has left that is at the Harry Kane level, nowhere near. Pritchard, Bentaleb, Mason, Obika, CCV, KWP etc Plus the fans don't give young players a chance, look at how Winksy is being treated for example

Let's see how Skipp, White, Cirkin and Parrott do. The club appear to have faith in them, have a plan for them, now it's up to them.

Provide a pathway

Simple really

I think this is a bit unfair really. While Pochettino certainly could have done better in his later years in incorporating youth, it was always going to be tougher for us to bring kids up when our level has gotten so high. It’s a problem at all the top six PL clubs and other of Europe’s top clubs. When you look at the players that other clubs have had to let go like Sancho, Malen, Gnabry, Bennacer, Pogba (to Juve), Lamptey, and I’m sure a bunch of others I’m forgetting, you’d have to say we’ve done alright. Only Madueke looking like a real loss.

I think Sancho changed the game a bit for some of these young lads. To see him go absolutely excel in the Bundesliga at 17 has definitely given others ideas and made them a bit more impatient. And ultimately to be a 17 year old playing regularly in the Premier League is extremely rare (only Rooney, Fàbregas, and Walcott come to mind), I don’t think we can afford to do it unless the player was once in a generation.

Plus, it looks like we might have another golden age of academy talent coming though with Tanganga, Skipp, Parrott, Cirkin, and maybe White. If none of those guys make it, then I think we can start legitimately discussing if we have a big problem.

One that definitely got away - hope club is now taking the youth set up more seriously

It's actually 2 goals & 2 assists plus he won a penalty (that they scored from).......he has started 1 game and came on as a sub in 3.

That puts him on most assists and equal most goals for PSV so far, with equal most assists for Eredivisie.

I think this is a bit unfair really. While Pochettino certainly could have done better in his later years in incorporating youth, it was always going to be tougher for us to bring kids up when our level has gotten so high. It’s a problem at all the top six PL clubs and other of Europe’s top clubs. When you look at the players that other c

It'll be tougher for our more average youth coming through, but NM was never average. However good your squad, there should always be a route for the best to come through and Poch screwed up big time there. U-16 captain. Played in U-18 at 15?

Skipp is clearly a step ahead of Winks at that age, (and has been for some time too) but that's no thanks to Poch. He'd still be warming the odd bench, and turning up day after day at training thinking how long am I going to put up with this? Last season was a complete waste of time for him. If he was coming up to extending his contract he could have walked too. He could have been loaned out as far back as 2018 FFS, that's 2 seasons. Everything he's doing at NCFC, he could have been doing in Div1 or 2 ages ago. And it's been bloody obvious too.

I think this is a bit unfair really. While Pochettino certainly could have done better in his later years in incorporating youth, it was always going to be tougher for us to bring kids up when our level has gotten so high. It’s a problem at all the top six PL clubs and other of Europe’s top clubs. When you look at the players that other clubs have had to let go like Sancho, Malen, Gnabry, Bennacer, Pogba (to Juve), Lamptey, and I’m sure a bunch of others I’m forgetting, you’d have to say we’ve done alright. Only Madueke looking like a real loss.

I think Sancho changed the game a bit for some of these young lads. To see him go absolutely excel in the Bundesliga at 17 has definitely given others ideas and made them a bit more impatient. And ultimately to be a 17 year old playing regularly in the Premier League is extremely rare (only Rooney, Fàbregas, and Walcott come to mind), I don’t think we can afford to do it unless the player was once in a generation.

Plus, it looks like we might have another golden age of academy talent coming though with Tanganga, Skipp, Parrott, Cirkin, and maybe White. If none of those guys make it, then I think we can start legitimately discussing if we have a big problem.

If we extend the definition of youth to Foyth - bought in at £10m at aged 19 by Poch so never going to be home grown and therefore taking up an overseas trained place for UEFA purposes (except last year when afrer 2 years at Spurs he qualified as an u21).

Not played much at Spurs as clearly not ready - but not loaned out until aged now aged at 22.

Should have beeen loaned out 2 years ago to get experience to give him a chance to develop and show he was good enough.

VERY poor treatment of a player with no realistic development plan put in place by Poch - or waste of £10m purchase price ? Or both

But both down to Poch not properly dealing with youth development - whether youngsters bought in or brought through the academy

It's actually 2 goals & 2 assists plus he won a penalty (that they scored from).......he has started 1 game and came on as a sub in 3.

That puts him on most assists and equal most goals for PSV so far, with equal most assists for Eredivisie.

Its easier on the eye to look at it as 4 games - but I think number of minutes played is just over 180 minutes, so in practice its 2 goals etc.......in just over 2 games.

Sensational statistics for the England u19 (but sadly not Spurs u19).

We have a pathway. There is no player who has left that is at the Harry Kane level, nowhere near. Pritchard, Bentaleb, Mason, Obika, CCV, KWP etc Plus the fans don't give young players a chance, look at how Winksy is being treated for example

Let's see how Skipp, White, Cirkin and Parrott do. The club appear to have faith in them, have a plan for them, now it's up to them.

When Poch arrived we had Kane, Mason, Townsend, Bentaleb, Carroll and Veljkovic all from the academy having had first team game time, and the likes of CCV on the cusp.

And in Poch first season the first choice CM pairing was Mason and Bentaleb (Dembele being in the bench or an ineffective RM that season) with Townssend playing in aboout a third of the games.

Aside from Kane, the CM pairing was also very good, the one part of the team which was NOT made to look second rate when we played Chelsea at Wembley (yup I was there surrounded by both other Spurs fans and a few Chelsea whoi couldnt understand why they had no presence in CM), so your narrative of 'fans dont give youngsters a chance' simply isnt true of most fans.

The issue has been no succession to Mason and Bentaleb et al from new youngsters in the first team as I pointed out. Hopefully that is changing with Tanganga involved, Skipp and Parrott out on loan to get more experience...and lets see whether White and Cirkin get some chances this season after being ID'd as ready to take a chance on by JM.

Who? What?

How???

Worth summarising our recent u21 acquisitions, all on a one year contract per OS.

Keenan Ferguson - RB/CB. 20 later this month. Looked very very good as both CB and RB (best player for Spurs on the day), in a streamed match a month ago. Ex Sheffield United.

Marcel Lavinier - RB/CB - 20 in 2 months time. Left Chelsea (rightly) as he saw no future there with Reece James and Tariq Lamptey (now at Brighton) ahead of him.

Tobi Omole - LB/CB/DM - 21 in 2 months time. Formerly with Woolwich

Worth summarising our recent u21 acquisitions, all on a one year contract per OS.

Keenan Ferguson - RB/CB. 20 later this month. Looked very very good as both CB and RB (best player for Spurs on the day), in a streamed match a month ago. Ex Sheffield United.

Marcel Lavinier - RB/CB - 20 in 2 months time. Left Chelsea (rightly) as he saw no future there with Reece James and Tariq Lamptey (now at Brighton) ahead of him.

Tobi Omole - LB/CB/DM - 21 in 2 months time. Formerly with Woolwich

Yeah ok, but are they any good?

I see The Grauniad has highlighted Alfie Devine as the one to watch from the Spurs yootdem in their yearly Next Generation article...

vvhjKbB.png

Next Generation 2020: 20 of the best talents at Premier League clubs

That said, he's not a TrueDefensiveMidfielder™ so he can do one as far as I'm concerned

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom