Danny Rose

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

My family on one side came here with nothing at the turn of the 20th century because this was the best place to be, they embraced being British, fully integrated into British culture and my great grandfather and grandfather fought for those British values in both World Wars.

Heritage and culture is important, whatever nation you come from. These are our roots they mean something.

Your entitled to your opinion, nihilistic as it sounds.

But your grandfather and great grandfather lived in a very different world. One of near constant conflict and competition between countries within Europe, this re-enforced national identities. You, however, live in a post nationalist world where conflict and competition between neighbouring countries is now largely played out in sporting arenas. Beyond that there is very little driving force to maintain and reinforce national identities. This is where Brexit comes in. It's been a reactionary attempt to turn back the clock to a time of conflict and competition. To recreate the world as it was fifty years ago. Or some imagined, idealised view of it.

But your grandfather and great grandfather lived in a very different world. One of near constant conflict and competition between countries within Europe, this re-enforced national identities. You, however, live in a post nationalist world where conflict and competition between neighbouring countries is now largely played out in sporting arenas. Beyond that there is very little driving force to maintain and reinforce national identities. This is where Brexit comes in. It's been a reactionary attempt to turn back the clock to a time of conflict and competition. To recreate the world as it was fifty years ago. Or some imagined, idealised view of it.

We don't live in a post national world at all.
Sorry but that's just not true.
The EU is about protecting the interests of the nations states inside the EU, that's why there is rampant protectionism for French farmers and German motor companies.

That competition between countries still exists.

There is a trade war being waged between the USA and China as we speak.

And No, Brexit is not a reactionary attempt to turn back the clock 50 years, its funny that people still don't fundamentally understand it at all. I don't even claim to know everyone's reason as it varies from individual to individual.
A fisherman might tell you its about regaining control of our waters, an entrepreneur might get moist about the prospect of "Singapore on Sea"

If you haven't seen this, this commercial made mayhem and carnage in the comments section and is all about the latest in this thread;

A very bold move by a commercial company who brings fuel to a polarised debate.

Great ad...reminds me a bit of the (clearly agenda driven) HSBC ones about where different everyday objects come from. I’m always amazed when people try to reject ‘other’ influences.

I woukd have changed it by now, old boy

Or abandoned it and registered a new one.

And yup, I know my avatar implies I'm in favour of a martian invasion. Can't be helped, I am Martian.

Living in Croydon you’ll get away with anything

If there are any ladies offended I will request a change.

I've never posted advocating violence towards women, nor have I been rude to any female posters.

The sponge bit is clearly an attempt (from whoever coined it) to be silly/funny. It's not referencing common injuries associated with domestic violence or anything of the sort.

Yours truly,

KickHerInTheSponge
at least you changed your avatar, and yes I would suggest that you change it........... surely you must see it is offensive, not just to women, either.

If there are any ladies offended I will request a change.

I've never posted advocating violence towards women, nor have I been rude to any female posters.

The sponge bit is clearly an attempt (from whoever coined it) to be silly/funny. It's not referencing common injuries associated with domestic violence or anything of the sort.

Yours truly,

KickHerInTheSponge

Maybe the ‘Kick her’ part is what’s causing the problem but good luck digging

Woahhh man that's reallyyyy profound dudeeee...

sorry, that doesn't wash with me, no reason to accept it.
Maybe so, but there were some equally bad ones on there. Even suggested by the founders of this forum. If we're gonna pile on the lad for going along with a joke suggested by other members then go for the others who suggested names offensive to disabled for example.

In the end, it was a just a joke at the time and it probably hasn't entered his thoughts until recently now people have made him aware how they feel. He should change it, but let's not single him out for a misogynist joke when everyone was laughing at Karren Brady being called a slut bucket in a match thread just the other month simply for being the owner of that tin pot lot.

For clarification I agree with what you say and it's good you've made him aware you find it offensive. I think he's a young lad and was even younger at the time just going along with an absurdist joke 6 years ago.

The problem with this place is with so many few female members and it being such a boys club there will be some learning moments when people like yourself make us aware of what is acceptable and what isn't. That's how we should treat it, as a learning moment rather than an opportunity to hang him. Not saying you are btw, but I feel some may do.

Maybe we should have a new vote, the ladies get first dibs.

Last edited:
Maybe so, but there were some equally bad ones on there. Even suggested by the founders of this forum. If we're gonna pile on the lad for going along with a joke suggested by other members then go for the others who suggested names offensive to disabled for example.

In the end, it was a just a joke at the time and it probably hasn't entered his thoughts until recently now people have made him aware how they feel. He should change it, but let's not single him out for a misogynist joke when everyone was laughing at Karren Brady being called a slut bucket in a match thread just the other month simply for being the owner of that tin pot lot.

For clarification I agree with what you say and it's good you've made him aware you find it offensive. I think he's a young lad and was even younger at the time just going along with an absurdist joke 6 years ago.

The problem with this place is with so many few female members and it being such a boys club there will be some learning moments when people like yourself make us aware of what is acceptable and what isn't. That's how we should treat it, as a learning moment rather than an opportunity to hang him. Not saying you are btw, but I feel some may do.

Maybe we should have a new vote, the ladies get first dibs.
Good post but surely he's imaginative enough to come up with something by himself ?
Saying that I guess mine is hardly original, it's my name.

Good post but surely he's imaginative enough to come up with something by himself ?
Saying that I guess mine is hardly original, it's my name.
I'm sure he is. It's just an idea to include the ladies a bit more.

It's times like these when Mrs P speaks up we should listen and learn and maybe try be more inclusive in what is a very male dominated forum.

HoneyBadger HoneyBadger is one of my favourite posters and I know she's had issues with some things said also.

My vote is he changes it to Beyoncé btw.

I'm sure he is. It's just an idea to include the ladies a bit more.

It's times like these when Mrs P speaks up we should listen and learn and maybe try be more inclusive in what is a very male dominated forum.

Honey Badger is one of my favourite posters and I know she's had issues with some things said also.

My vote is he changes it to Beyoncé btw.
How about Voldemort (He who shall not be named). We've strayed off topic now a bit.
:mourhandlaugh:

Back
Top Bottom