Sky & BT

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I agree with the point they are making but the figures don't help out there as they are inflated drivel. You can get a Now TV pass legitimately for £25 a month with no set up costs that will give you the full Sky Sports package.

Or you can slum it with just the mobile pass: £5.99/m.
And somebody that into football might well take either EE mobile or BT broadband to get the sports package: £15/m or Plusnet £10/m.
The Amazon Prime is an outlier - it's possible to add and remove when the matches you want are coming up: say three times in a year make it £23.97.
And who is really gonna watch every single PPV game ...

You'd think they would be more likely to protect football, as its the bread and circuses for the masses that stops them thinking too hard about other stuff. At least that's the Roman theory

Sport as a pacifier works much better on TV than it does with fans attending stadiums.

You may have forgotten, but the gov were part of the drive to get the EPL back up and running after the initial stages of lockdown. They also massively value the tax money it generates.

Sport as a pacifier works much better on TV than it does with fans attending stadiums.

You may have forgotten, but the gov were part of the drive to get the EPL back up and running after the initial stages of lockdown. They also massively value the tax money it generates.

Why cant lower league clubs charge 15 quid each? Surely that would save the clubs from the current financial meltdown.

If the premier league had any sense they would launch a streaming platform. It cant be that hard. Sell directly to customer and fuck off sky and bt.

Why cant lower league clubs charge 15 quid each? Surely that would save the clubs from the current financial meltdown.

Cost of filming, streaming, hosting, admin VS limited stream income....?

Matchday costs would go up further and income would still notably less than if the stadiums were open.

Cost of filming, streaming, hosting, admin VS limited stream income....?

Matchday costs would go up further and income would still notably less than if the stadiums were open.

No it would be cheaper.

Collective streaming website like netflix with costs shared by the Prem and EFL.

The cameras are already there.

Youd save cost of stewards, hospitality staff and policing.

Its the same principal as amazon vs the high street.

If the premier league were clever they could have used this crisis to transform the game.

The future is netflix style subscriptions not MOTD and Super Sunday on Sky.

No it would be cheaper.

Collective streaming website like netflix with costs shared by the Prem and EFL.

The cameras are already there.

Youd save cost of stewards, hospitality staff and policing.

Its the same principal as amazon vs the high street.

If the premier league were clever they could have used this crisis to transform the game.

The future is netflix style subscriptions not MOTD and Super Sunday on Sky.

Make up your mind... You asked about the lower leagues.

off the top of my head, a £5-£8 range wouldn't be bad - where it's cheaper for something like Southampton vs Fulham but it's a bit more for Newcastle vs Liverpool etc.

You know they're not gonna take it back to just showing them all for free this season - which they should - until crowds are allowed back.

It'll be a new pricing strategy. My money is on £20 a month to cover all box office games

I think you would have to keep the pricing flat. Would be unfair on the more popular clubs as they would always command a higher fee.
I mean, the same way nearly every club prices their tickets as Cat A-B-C in the league, and even in e.g. FA cup round 5 we'd be paying £5 more if we're at home to a bigger club.

I had cancelled a free trial of BT sport a year ago, and somehow the access remained while they stopped charging me.
I think they did some kind of accounts cleanup because I finally got cut off 😣

The Premier League has scrapped its pay-per-view method for matches until at least the new year, and some fixtures will now be shown on the BBC.

Fulham's game against Everton on Sunday, 22 November (12:00 GMT) will be screened live on BBC One.
The Premier League said all remaining games in November and over the Christmas and New Year period will be shown on existing broadcast services.

The £14.95 pay-per-view fee was introduced in October.

It led to significant protests among fan groups and more than £300,000 has been raised for charity by fans boycotting pay-per-view games after top-flight clubs voted 19-1 in favour of the "interim solution".

Now, the Premier League has reverted to the model used in September, in which all 28 Premier League matches were shown live with all broadcast partners - Sky Sports, BT Sport, the BBC and Amazon Prime - screening matches.

Back
Top Bottom