Levy / ENIC OUT? New Poll 2020

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

ENIC / Levy Out?

• Total voters
I disagree entirely. I think that PEH, Reg, Doherty and CV are here to do what I suggest. What I suggested is that they are here to try and help us WIN things. We become attractive by winning thing, and yes, if Hart can be better cover for Hugo than Gazza can, that helps too.

I am not sure how attractive we become by winning the League Cup or even Europa and don't think we are likely to win anything more than that if we even win those.

I don't see us ever being in the top group of teams so we still need to rely on building a solid squad that has good players, rather than just buying guys all the time.

Why? And where do you find this quality 24-year old, who hasn't already been tapped up by one of the teams who keep winning things? The whole point is that Doherty is an upgrade NOW, not in 2 years' time, who can give us what we need to try and win something right NOW.

You keep typing NOW which is short term. I agree he is a short term add. The best way for us to find that 24 year old is to identify him when he is younger and bring him in then rather than reactively buyinhg a 29 year old to fill a need. Maybe what we do is when buying Doherty also buy a 20 year old RB that can develop into his replacement, then we can have the NOW improvement with some long term planning as well.

Do you not agree that Doherty was a strong addition to the squad? Do you think it was a Eric Nelson signing? Cause I don't. I see it as getting in the man who fits the way that the coach wants to play, and which he thinks will actually win us some stuff. We can't base our entire ambitions eternally on potential; sometimes you need to get in older players who can do what you need right now, to help provide a platform for potential to be realized in others.

He was a fine addition to the squad and an upgrade on Aurier but I don't think he is anything close to a world class talent or at a level we couldn't have got with a younger player.

They will if they win things for us. There is absolutely zero chance than signing another young 'hopeful' is going to make us more attractive either, and much less chance of it paying off in the short term.

That is a massive IF, both in terms of us winning anything and in that making a lick of difference.

Like I said. Make this short term successful, and the long term is already serviced by that. And if not? It's not any different to what we've already been doing, is it? Or is your complaint merely that we will have to engage in the transfer window again in 2 years time?

My complaint is that good teams make decisions for both the short and long term. That we can make our team competitive now, while at the same time adding guys that will be here for the long term.

I still don't get what your actual complaint here is...

I think it is pretty clear, my concern is that in two years we are going to need replacements and upgrades for everyone we have signed so far. That, to me, is not long term planning, I understand that their focus is the short term right now but I was talking about the long term.

I also don't buy your idea that hoping on winning things will make us some sort of desired clubso we can ignore making long term signings or plans for our club.

I am not sure how attractive we become by winning the League Cup or even Europa and don't think we are likely to win anything more than that if we even win those.

I don't see us ever being in the top group of teams so we still need to rely on building a solid squad that has good players, rather than just buying guys all the time.

We are always buying guys all the time. That happens for every club, in every single window. That's football. The complaint you have is not that we're buying guys, but that we're not buying guys according to the way you want us to be. Our signings have done exactly what you claim to want them to achieve: it has helped solidify our squad qith good players.

You just don't like the fact that we might lose them in a couple of years or because they are too old (for what, exactly? Having sell-on value?), and have said that we need to get younger players we can presumably count on being here for longer.

Except, unless we win things, they won't hang around either, and will get snapped up by clubs who do.

You keep typing NOW which is short term. I agree he is a short term add. The best way for us to find that 24 year old is to identify him when he is younger and bring him in then rather than reactively buyinhg a 29 year old to fill a need.
So who should we have gotten? Is there a catalogue we should be browsing through to find the young stud we're looking for, or is the transfer market extraordinarily dictated by what and who is available at the time? We bought a 28-year old who was available. Yes, we could also buy a 20-year old prospect, but we've already been doing that, and it hasn't really worked out. Kyle Walker was the last young RB we got due to his potential, and why did he leave us again?

Oh yeah. He wanted to win stuff.

That is a massive IF, both in terms of us winning anything and in that making a lick of difference.
Everything is a massive IF in football, including banking on potential rather than current talent. My point is that even if we fail, we are in literally no worse position than if we succeed.

Your issue seems to be with the longevity of the player's usefulness to us. I gather you believe that a younger player is a more solid addition to our squad. But, who exactly fits that bill, in our squad? Dele Alli was a terrific young prospect, and we all hope he comes good, but what IF he doesn't? What if he peaked, declined, and will never be the same again? That's not exactly the priceless asset to our squad you might think it is. Similarly, while we all hope Gazza turns out to be the next Casillas, in the meantime we still need a keeper with top-level (and, yes, championship-winning) experience at a top club. Joe Hart, whatever his limitations, is a shrewd buy to provide us with that in the short term.

IF Gazza works out, then we covered his learning curve up with a Short Term Signing. IF Gazza doesn't work out, we are in precisely the place we would be if not for the short-term signing: in need of a new signing.

That's why potential is even riskier than short-term buying, in the long run.

My complaint is that good teams make decisions for both the short and long term. That we can make our team competitive now, while at the same time adding guys that will be here for the long term.
Great! Then hopefully you are satisfied with the last 6 years of buying 'for the long term', and can live with at least one window of buying for the 'short term', to make sure there's a balance, yes?

I think it is pretty clear, my concern is that in two years we are going to need replacements and upgrades for everyone we have signed so far.
And we pretty much always will, and this will never, ever change, regardless of the age of the players we bring in, or the length of their loan periods. In fact, we often need to spend more time shifting the long term prospects that didn't work out than we need to spend replacing the aging legs who got us over the line in the short-term.

I also don't buy your idea that hoping on winning things will make us some sort of desired clubso we can ignore making long term signings or plans for our club.
And, in case you hadn't noticed yet, I have explained in detail why I don't buy your idea that buying players for the here and now is somehow undermining or betraying our long term project. You just keep telling me that it's awful since we will have to keep on buying players every transfer window, like literally every team in the entire sport.

I still don't get it, but we can leave it there if you like.

I think this thread needs a bump

landscape tumbleweed GIF

I wonder what the Levy out brigade think has happened this last year to Levy. Especially this window when despite the stadium being finished we have no income from it and Weill undoubtedly make a huge loss this year.
Has he had a personality change and now wants to spend, spend. Spend?
Does he only spend when the team is in trouble like when Ramos got us in trouble.
Has Mourinho got an agreement that he must back him?
Was Poch part of the problem as I always suspected in not identifying viable purchases?
Or perhaps they still cannot forgive him for not buying anyone a couple of years ago?
More likely they simply do not know what to say.

If you look at what we’ve spent, it’s not a lot of cash outlay but in return, a real potential for a very high return as far as what we could achieve with this squad. It’s a very calculated window with both a very pragmatic manager and probably very much appreciated by Levy and his people as far as realistic targets they can go try to acquire. Obviously, negotiations are always the tough part but he’s done a great job with it.

I wonder what the Levy out brigade think has happened this last year to Levy. Especially this window when despite the stadium being finished we have no income from it and Weill undoubtedly make a huge loss this year.
Does he only spend when the team is in trouble like when Ramos got us in trouble.
Was Poch part of the problem as I always suspected in not identifying viable purchases?
Or perhaps they still cannot forgive him for not buying anyone a couple of years ago?
I think the success of this transfer window is a consequence of prudent management of the finances giving the club flexibility to spend and a realization that there are bargains available during Covid. It is a punt based on the specific circumstances this year and has nothing to do with the name of the manager

Jose to Levy;
"I don't wanna hear your shit Levy"

I can't believe the majority in here still want the guy out. Change vote button must surely have some fingers hovering over it after the recent transfer window or was that not enough to change people's minds ?
It's changed now the majority want him in. I have not changed my vote to in because although Im very happy with the window, he's let down every other manager with his transfer dealings and ended up costing some of them their jobs. It looks like he has finally found a manager he can back but it's taken 20 years yo do it. And of course there is the one league cup trophy which is an embarrassment for a club of our status.

It's changed now the majority want him in. I have not changed my vote to in because although Im very happy with the window, he's let down every other manager with his transfer dealings and ended up costing some of them their jobs. It looks like he has finally found a manager he can back but it's taken 20 years yo do it. And of course there is the one league cup trophy which is an embarrassment for a club of our status.
This is a great post.
And like most football fans, it's the achievments on the pitch that get my juices flowing.. 1 carling cup in 20 years is a shocking indictment for a club of our size.

Only on a Spurs forum would there be a thread dedicated to worshipping a man who has presided over such unprecedented failure!
No wonder other fans laugh at us.

He'll need to do a lot more than produce one half decent transfer window in a decade to convince me to change my vote.

Have not changed my vote and never will

Went from 75% out to 45% - proof we have around 30% proper Levy cucks on here. Classic abused wife syndrome. Husbands beats her continuously for 3-4 years and eventually buys her a nice bouquet of flowers and now she loves him again. Meanwhile - he'll probably beat to her to a pulp again after a few Stellas

Out NOW

It’s fine to look back at history to decide if someone deserves to stay or go, if that’s your thing. However, I’m more about what he’s doing now and what he can do in the future. And I believe he’s as good as we can get to secure a successful period in the coming years.

The history thing does bother me a bit. It’s like saying that Bale was shite in his first couple of seasons, so wanting him sold. Then when he hit form, still wanting him sold. To change your mind isn’t a sign of weakness, it’s quite the opposite.

I’d imagine many posters who changed their vote can see that we have a chairman who is backing a manager that knows what he wants. A refreshing change in both respects.

This is a great post.
And like most football fans, it's the achievments on the pitch that get my juices flowing.. 1 carling cup in 20 years is a shocking indictment for a club of our size.

Only on a Spurs forum would there be a thread dedicated to worshipping a man who has presided over such unprecedented failure!
No wonder other fans laugh at us.

He'll need to do a lot more than produce one half decent transfer window in a decade to convince me to change my vote.
So is your opinion of this transfer window only that it was 'half decent'?

Because if that's all you think about it, you can fuck off.

I'm not disagreeing with the rest of your point.

All those involved have done a great job putting the club back in a strong position again.
We shouldn't need anyone now until the summer with us only needing a couple in, perhaps another CB and DM so a real chance for us to make something of ourselves this year, well done the club in backing Jose.

Last edited:
I think it's a combination of things that has led to the success of this window.
The failure of not buying across two windows under poch helped lead to a decline, levy perhaps being backed into a corner and sensing fan unrest and that you don't hire a manager like Jose and don't fully back him.
There is no excuses now the manager and team are in place and need to finally deliver.

I’ve been Levy out for 10 years.
The last 12 months, from NDombele through to Rodon have been very good.
If we continue to develop for the next 12 months, im changing my tone.

Back
Top Bottom