Eric Dier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He's been the best but the bar is low right now. It's similar to bigging up Pavlyuchenko for being our best performing CF in 2010-11. (Go look up the goal totals of Pav/Defoe/Crouch from that season)
Pav (in whichever season it was) was scoring a PL goal every 180 mins on the pitch. Goal every other game.

Pretty good considering a lot of them were absolute worldies that none of our other strikers would have even hit the target with.

Can't ever recall him missing a sitter either.

Pav (in whichever season it was) was scoring a PL goal every 180 mins on the pitch. Goal every other game.

Pretty good considering a lot of them were absolute worldies that none of our other strikers would have even hit the target with.

Can't ever recall him missing a sitter either.
I loved Pav but he was sooo inconsistent, even within the same game, and yes he missed sitters as well. He was like the Floppy Disk to Harry Kane's iCloud.

Dier is like an inferior Michael Dawson to me.

Both will give there all and both are natural leaders. In terms of ability both are/were dodgy when defending against the pacier tricky players but were good against the more physical types. Dawson imo was a much better defender though overall and had less mistakes in him during his prime years.
I liked Dawson and still do but his lack of pace became apparent in a high press

I'm starting to think we should be looking to sign at least 2 quality CBs in the upcoming windows. That's including Rodon coming good.
Another back up RB wouldn’t do any harm

Aurier not up to it and I’m not sure about Doherty although it’s far too early yet

Another back up RB wouldn’t do any harm

Aurier not up to it and I’m not sure about Doherty although it’s far too early yet
Agree with that, also Doherty's age has to be taken into account. If Doherty does prove to be good/excellent, he's only got 3- 4 years as a top player.

There's some serious revisionist history going on if people think Dawson is any better than Dier. Daws had many horrible matches and gave away many stupid penalties, vastly more than Dier. Also if people think Dier is slow then Dawson is absolutely glacial.

I loved Daws but Dier is better than him, Daws would not have a chance of playing in our current team. He was great for where we were back then, a team with Palacios, Bassong etc as frequent starters but there's a reason we let him go.
I love Dawson..Dier is better than him. He just wasted the years he should have been learning to play CB being indulged in midfield by Pochettino. He is a C grade centerback all of the ones on are books at present are. Dawson was a D. But as we were aspiring to be a top four side it was OK. We need two A grade CB. That means pace ball playing heading and tackling.

There was no other way for Newcastle to score. We had the knockdown from Carroll covered. All that was needed was to keep your arms to yourself. It's not about him letting Carroll win the header, Carroll had already won it. Just don't give him the opportunity to play for a handball like he JUST DID five minutes earlier
When he jumped his arms was kept close to the body. When in the air he was pushed. I'm not sure that gut reaction to try to regain a lost balance is possible to control. Not without a saw and leeving the arms in the dressing room. Watch it again. Troll

He has been our best performing CB since the lockdown. Much better physically than Toby and less prone to random errors like Sanchez. A reliable passer of the ball too. He's not perfect but he's our best all rounder at the moment.

Not even close. Toby has been miles better and even with the West Ham game Sanchez has been better at all.

Dier is at best the 4th or 5th best CB behind Toby and Sanchez for sure and likely behind Rodon and Tanganga as well.

The best thing Dier has done all season is get injured so that people haven't had to watch him play and can now overrate him. Once he gets playing again and showing how terrible he is people will be screaming to bring Sanchez back in.

Hes played well recently. By no means perfect, but the best we have. Him and Sanchez starting means we concede far less.

My point here isn't to shit on Dier....

Personally, I think we have 3 senior CBs who's level you could question in one way or another.... I think it's a bold statement to declare any as head and shoulders above the others; let alone to the point that I would declare them the most important layer in the squad.

If only one would stand up and be counted as being reliable.... You could point the finger at all 3 at one point or another this season.

I'm still curious as to whether Rodon is seen as a solution for now or as a someone to develop (and that we still have Skrinier or an equivalent scale of signing on our agenda).

Is now the most important player in our squad. What a weird alternate Universe we live in.

Our season, at this moment. Rests on his fitness.

Discuss.

I would say the opposite. Because of how poor he is and Jose playing him no matter our season may rest on his fitness, but rest on him being unable to play so Jose can't start him.

If he is healthy we are much worse off because he will start ahead of players who are much, much better than him.

I would say the opposite. Because of how poor he is and Jose playing him no matter our season may rest on his fitness, but rest on him being unable to play so Jose can't start him.

If he is healthy we are much worse off because he will start ahead of players who are much, much better than him.
Did Dier shag ya Da or something fella?

Back
Top Bottom