Carlos Vinicius

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Winks and Davies are another two that I have trouble slagging off as well. The four of them are definitely limited footballers in some respects, but you know they are giving it their absolute best considering the skill set they have.

I have trouble bashing players like that even when they are a bit shit. If they are starting week in week out, it’s the club’s fault not theirs.
Role players are important as well.

A team full of skillfull players doesn’t work either, someone has to do the dirtywork.

Jose "He played well but he can do better. Not easy to not speak English so the adaptation to the group isn't an easy situation. Different football, different way to play, how we want to press. It's about learning. But with these circumstances, first match he did well. Only thing that was missing was one goal. Showed he's more than that and that he can play with Harry Kane as well."

Do love this quote from Jose after the game. Shows once he gets up to speed, there’s a possibility Vinícius will play with Harry and not just as a sub all the time

Winks and Davies are another two that I have trouble slagging off as well. The four of them are definitely limited footballers in some respects, but you know they are giving it their absolute best considering the skill set they have.

I have trouble bashing players like that even when they are a bit shit. If they are starting week in week out, it’s the club’s fault not theirs.

Davies is a good squad player. Not sure about Winks, but I agree that he’s not lacking for effort and heart.

Yeah but he is not a glamour signing is he. He is not an international came for a average fee an is hardly a name. He had a very solid debut. Most impressive he did not desperately try to get shots on target looking for the debut goal that actually means SFA, he showed brains composure and an awareness of what was needed. Swap him for Sissoko or Winks and the team IQ spikes. I wish we'd switch formation on Saturday and subbed him on for N'dombele bet we keep all three points.
It is mad how quickly 40 million became an average fee

This lad can play, showed way more than iI was expecting. Excellent positioning and runs, confident and demanding the ball, very clean passing, good decision making, hard working, and a big tall unit.

Both those assists were excellent, hard to get right and he got them perfect. The second impressed me because he was wanting it in front of him to score himself having taken up a great position. (Didnt get the service he deserved at times) The ball to him was not what he wanted but he adapted, quickly understood an assist was then the better option for that ball and executed it.

I think we should be quietly a bit excited.

Was very happy with his performance. Got a good head on him, two great assists, and he’s got that athletic figure as well with pace. Exactly the kind of player we need to play these games so Kane doesn’t have to and add an extra dimension to our team. Can potentially play 442 with him and Kane up top or even Kane behind in a false 9 with him and Moura up top. Classic Berba and Keane configuration. The important thing is we have options now and if he can be our Jesus to Man City’s Aguero, we’re a much stronger squad!

I’d even add Lamela to the list of Winks, Davies, Sissoko and Moura. I don’t think any are first team players but they’re very good squad players and they always give it there all. Happy to have them in the squad but not necessarily in the team sheet for a cup final.

Not good enough for us clearly. You would have thought he might have known his colleagues better as he has been with the club for years.

Needed a hat-trick and a hand in all the goals.

Defensively he could also do better and I think his looks could improve.

Disappointing that after one game he is not yet our top European goalscorer.

I hate coming on here to see those two being abused to be honest.

Lucas doesn’t score enough but he does a very good job of pushing the ball forward into the opposition half.

Sissoko is not a creative passer but he defends well and he also advances with the ball.

They are both role players who are maligned for not having the skills of Tanguy, it’s not fair.

Sorry but both - Sissoko and Moura have very clear flaws. You try to make an extremely black-and-white case in here.

1) It's not only that Lucas does not score enough, he has other limitations as well. Against stronger sides his touch is quite often too long and loses the ball. In tight situations he lacks awareness to make the right choice etc. Mostly we just lose the ball and even though I agree he tracks back and works with passion, it has negative effect on the game management/control.
2) (this is true for both of them) - if you play for Tottenham Hotspur then "pushing ball into oppositions half" or "advancing with the ball" is not enough. Not when you fail to pick up correct teammate with correctly measured pass. I agree that both of them are carrying the ball upfield, but most often these carries end with either wrong decision from game management point of view or with right decsision but wrong execution (too weak/strong pass, or passing it through the line where defenders will always clear the passes).
3) NOO! They are not maligned for not having Ndombele skill level. This is absurd claim to make! They both make mistakes in very basic elements of football at times. No one is even dreaming that they would have Tanguy passing range or ball control because on that front literally no other midfield player of ours compares. It's about avoiding very basic mistakes that they sometimes fail in.

I agree that they are useful squad members and I am not suggesting that we should never use them nor terminate their contracts etc. But at the same time they should not be immune to critique to some of very basic things in football.

Not good enough for us clearly. You would have thought he might have known his colleagues better as he has been with the club for years.

Needed a hat-trick and a hand in all the goals.

Defensively he could also do better and I think his looks could improve.

Disappointing that after one game he is not yet our top European goalscorer.
And his fucking red boots !
I’ll not go to another game until he’s out of MY club !

Back
Top Bottom