Ben Davies

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Most goals scored in the PL - attack isn’t the issue
...but it was on Monday...? We had onchance on goal. That can’t all be put at the feet of the LB/ defence, surely? A lot of times we were seeing our attacking players giving away the ball / failing to find space / not running into space for a forward pass?

We are the highest scoring attack in PL because of the team including the attackers; and so it must go vice versa, surely?

LB is not purely a defensive position though. Against a team like Burnley, it’s probably 50% attack. And Davies did it poorly. Talking about fullbacks like they’re center backs is inappropriate.
Let's say I agree that Davies was poor going forward, which tbf he wasn't great.

The point is that that is not his primary role.
Where is the criticism of Son, Kane, Lucas, etc, whose actual job is to create and score, for doing nothing.

Davies, Sissoko, Winks, Sanchez the more they played, the worse we became over the last 3 years.

We are not getting anywhere as long as players of this calibre keep starting games for us.

Failure to upgrade them in time has already cost CL football this season.

I absolutely strongly refuse to put Davies in same category as Sissoko, Moura, Lamela, Winks and Sanchez.

Point is that Davies is VERY reliable in basic things. You know that he will deliver the basic things in every game. Sure, his "bonuses" or "add on's" are not as good - e.g I agree that for example Monday he did not find sharp enough solutions in final 3rd.

At the same time all the others in the list also at times (not nearly always!!) fail in the very basic things that their position requires from them. Sanchez loses composure and makes outrageous decisions (like penalty vs Martial) and consistently fails to read the flight of the ball. Moura 1st touch is often 4 meters ahead of him and when he does not have all the room in the world, he usually can't pick correct pass and also deliver it well (118 games, only 12 assist -this is awful return)... and so on and so on.

Davies don't put in brilliant attacking displays often (though at times he is quite productive there as well) but he is reliable - does not lose the ball in dangerous situations (also in attacking 3rd) and defends well.

Not saying we will CL with him starting all the games, but there is a difference if you have to carry a player who makes mistakes in very basic level or someone who fails to deliver the spectacular but gets basics done.

Yes partly - becuase as an attacking fullback would have offered much needed width and pace against a team defending narrow
What did our attacking players offer. Nothing and yet nobody is slagging them off.
Doherty offered nothing either, but it's pretty quiet on his thread.

Reggie is great, but there aren't too many FBs in the PL that can play like him, let alone with us.

The bottom line is we kept a clean sheet.
Our defense did its job.

By this logic - so did our attack because we scored?
That's my point.
We won the game and kept a clean sheet, where they had only one real chance. We had 2 or 3.
Our defenders did their jobs very well. Our attackers did their jobs, just about.
But somehow our defenders get criticism.

That's my point.
We won the game and kept a clean sheet, where they had only one real chance. We had 2 or 3.
Our defenders did their jobs very well. Our attackers did their jobs, just about.
But somehow our defenders get criticism.
I thought Davies was poor and offered nothing going forward as usual - not sure what is so offensive about that opinion. I don't rate him as a player - he's bottom 5 PL level at best.

I absolutely strongly refuse to put Davies in same category as Sissoko, Moura, Lamela, Winks and Sanchez.

Point is that Davies is VERY reliable in basic things. You know that he will deliver the basic things in every game.
Nail on head. Perfect professional: diligent, concentrates on marking his man
(looking at you Kyle Walker, Aurier),

doesn't play suicide balls across the box (Walker, Sanchez)

doesn't give away silly penalties (Walker, Sanchez, Aurier)

doesn't give away cheap free kicks in dangerous spots (Aurier, Sissoko)

doesn't get red cards putting the rest of the team in the shit

doesn't get early yellows, which puts him at real risk (where do you start on this one)

doesn't get suspensions which screw up the rotations

The first and key role of a defender is to defend. If you can put in a belter of a cross, then that's only great if you haven't given away a silly goal beforehand.

I imagine he trains very well, needs the minimum of coaching, managerial attention (Aurier, Sanchez)

There's a lot to be said for knowing your limitations and playing accordingly.

Strikes me as being a pretty bright bloke, could make a could pundit or even manager.

And he's a VERY capable CB

doesn't get early yellows, which puts him at real risk (where do you start on this one)

The first and key role of a defender is to defend. If you can put in a belter of a cross, then that's only great if you haven't given away a silly goal beforehand.

I imagine he trains very well, needs the minimum of coaching, managerial attention (Aurier, Sanchez)

Strikes me as being a pretty bright bloke, could make a could pundit or even manager.

Can't really argue with any of that.

I suppose it's just incredibly frustrating when we're up against a low block and 11 men behind the ball Davies, will inevitably get the ball on the half turn put his foot on it to stop it and turn around then pass it back to the CB.

This adds absolutely zero to the game. No attempt to run or pass forward, never takes his man on on the outside, will always favour the cut inside or the backwards pass.

I'm not hating on him, and I appreciate he's reliable and does the basics well, but he's a step well below Reguilon or Robertson, Tierney, Digne.

Forgot to say - someone posted he was 29 the other day, he's actually only 27.

I'd bet that he looks after his health and fitness. He could be playing CB till what? The age of 32-33?

When we lost Jan Verts I immediately thought that BD could deputise left side CB.

CB is a problem for us: Toby nearing the end of a great career, Sanchez not reliable at all, Dier I'm a fan but he can have the odd meltdown, Japhet may be great but he's for the future if so.

I'd be very annoyed if we sold him unless he'd asked for the move to get more playing time.

Yep.
Not the most elegant.
Not the most fancy.

But reliable. Somewhat limited as well, but plays according to limitations.

Lost the ball many times, including a suicide pass to their player early in the first half, got mostly owned in 1v1s and was generally out of position
Poor pass in the first half, I'd agree with.
Losing the ball in defence , I never noticed that.
Was never out of position and was never owned in 1v1s, got beaten once.

He was fine, not exciting, not great going forward, but did a very good job in defence.

Near the end of the game he gave me a heart attack. A cross came over from their left to the back post. Davies let it run out of touch, with a player behind him. My first thought was "what the fuck is he doing".
When you look at it again though, you see he looked and knew exactly where the attacker was and let the ball run out to waste some time. He could of launched it, losing possession, or given away a corner instead.
Excellent play by him.

Forgot to say - someone posted he was 29 the other day, he's actually only 27.

I'd bet that he looks after his health and fitness. He could be playing CB till what? The age of 32-33?

When we lost Jan Verts I immediately thought that BD could deputise left side CB.

CB is a problem for us: Toby nearing the end of a great career, Sanchez not reliable at all, Dier I'm a fan but he can have the odd meltdown, Japhet may be great but he's for the future if so.

I'd be very annoyed if we sold him unless he'd asked for the move to get more playing time.
Could of been me ?
But I was talking about Doherty.

Unless Davies reverts to his default of passing backwards his distribution is shocking
I’d rather he played CB

Doherty has age on his side and maybe Jose can do something with him but I agree he doesn’t look good atm

He'll be 29 in January, so I'm not sure of your point ?

Poor pass in the first half, I'd agree with.
Losing the ball in defence , I never noticed that.
Was never out of position and was never owned in 1v1s, got beaten once.

He was fine, not exciting, not great going forward, but did a very good job in defence.

Near the end of the game he gave me a heart attack. A cross came over from their left to the back post. Davies let it run out of touch, with a player behind him. My first thought was "what the fuck is he doing".
When you look at it again though, you see he looked and knew exactly where the attacker was and let the ball run out to waste some time. He could of launched it, losing possession, or given away a corner instead.
Excellent play by him.
Look - I get it - you rate him - no biggie

Let's agree to disagree and move on, mate

Back
Top Bottom