Ben Davies

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Terrible mistake but I’m not sure his team mates did enough to help him there. Where was the fullback to pass to for example?

His teammates didn't do him any favors but Ben should never be playing the ball like that when under pressure. Either hoof it up the field or back to Lloris. He does not have the skill set, even against Antwerp to hold on to the ball like that. Sure we would be bitching about him backpassing or wasting the ball but that is much better than bitching because he gave up a goal.

The players put him in a bad spot but they didn't make him hold on to the ball, that was his poor choice.

Ben honestly didn’t play too badly today except for that mistake. We were so static in that first half, there was no outlet from the back.

That one mistake stands out, but really that is a position you don't want Ben to be in in the first place and i am confident in the future he will deal with it differently.

I still don't want to see him as a LB in the PL but there were a lot of guys worse than him in the squad and I think he should still be a first choice player for the Europa group stage games.

His teammates didn't do him any favors but Ben should never be playing the ball like that when under pressure. Either hoof it up the field or back to Lloris. He does not have the skill set, even against Antwerp to hold on to the ball like that. Sure we would be bitching about him backpassing or wasting the ball but that is much better than bitching because he gave up a goal.

The players put him in a bad spot but they didn't make him hold on to the ball, that was his poor choice.
Nailed it.

Maybe, as some suggested that,
A) He was played into trouble (I don't think that for a second)
B) His team mates didn't help him out (Possibe)
C) He was fouled (I'm not sure if he was or not)
D) That Dav should have done better (I think he should of)

But at the end of the day he shouldn't have been in a position where the forward could even try to get the ball off him.

Nailed it.

Maybe, as some suggested that,
A) He was played into trouble (I don't think that for a second)
B) His team mates didn't help him out (Possibe)
C) He was fouled (I'm not sure if he was or not)
D) That Dav should have done better (I think he should of)

But at the end of the day he shouldn't have been in a position where the forward could even try to get the ball off him.
He clearly wasn't at trouble when he received the ball I think, but he hold onto the ball waiting for a pass with Reguilon and Lo Celso pressed in front of him. No one showed, he turned to pass to Lloris, at this time Mbokani knew that was the only way to go and easily got the ball. He was at faul of course, but you can't allow that situation to happen given he was almos in the middle of the pitch. Should have been at leas on midfielder do cover him and get the pass, that was Dele or Winks, and the other defender should be also in a better position.

He clearly wasn't at trouble when he received the ball I think, but he hold onto the ball waiting for a pass with Reguilon and Lo Celso pressed in front of him. No one showed, he turned to pass to Lloris, at this time Mbokani knew that was the only way to go and easily got the ball. He was at faul of course, but you can't allow that situation to happen given he was almos in the middle of the pitch. Should have been at leas on midfielder do cover him and get the pass, that was Dele or Winks, and the other defender should be also in a better position.
Your right in saying that no one showed but he was facing the play, he should have known where his team mates were. he could also see Mbokani closing him down. So what to do in that situation, the choices were;
Play it back to Winks first time
Play it back to Hugo
Play it to Dav, although that pass was never on.
Put his foot through it, booting it up the pitch
Boot it out for a throw.

He did none of those things, he dithered and got caught out.

I defended Davies vigorously after the last match, and will do again, but that goal was all on him.

I knew everyone would take it well and find it in themselves to support him.

It's like one big family network in this thread. :)

Back
Top Bottom