Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

You would have thought that the demise of Danny Rose would have been the wake up call this lad needed. It was clear that if Jose felt a player wasn't giving enough then he'd be sidelined. Instead of knuckling down to the task Dele has assumed that boyish grin and bizarre sense of humour would help get him through - wrong !
He was given a "get out of jail free" card tonight and he threw it away.

Poor from Dele today but it was hard for anyone to stand out in games like this to be fair. That being said, sayonara Dele
His desire has gone he thinks he is far better than he actually is.
He has been very poor for the best part of 2 years.
West Ham Fulham or Palace will be his next move.

I hope I'm wrong, but I'd be amazed if he turns things around. Just do not see where he fits in at all. Sadly, looks like one of those who peaked early and will be playing for Villa before too long.

I actually want him to stay and prove everyone wrong. But he's not really showing signs of that is he? If he actually showed some positive body language that would be a start. He still looks like a sulky kid at times on the pitch.

It’s going to be a painful and drawn out process as well. Levy won’t let him go cheap and his play has drastically sapped his value. I wonder what clubs will even be calling.

Bit like what happened to Eriksen, except even worse I’d say. There’s no Barcelona or Madrid at the end of the tunnel.

You would have thought that the demise of Danny Rose would have been the wake up call this lad needed. It was clear that if Jose felt a player wasn't giving enough then he'd be sidelined. Instead of knuckling down to the task Dele has assumed that boyish grin and bizarre sense of humour would help get him through - wrong !
He was given a "get out of jail free" card tonight and he threw it away.
Landed on ‘Water Works’?

I just think he is a very average footballer at the end of the day

Much said about his attitude but he has never been a great passer , tackler or dribbler

Good at getting on the end of eriksen crosses for a couple of years but that's it

Right now he’s at a place where he must impress in every bit of a chance he gets. I don’t think he was put in a position to succeed today, he’s average in the midfield.

It’s not too dissimilar than Tanguy’s situation last season unfortunately for Dele, he’s got 1/3 of the talent and more times than not, his talent only shows when he’s on the scoresheet.

Unfair to take him off tonight. Only crumb was he was one of three at half-time. Being placed under impossible pressure in my opinion.
No-one is demanding he scores a hat trick, four assists and a clearance off the line. It's not impossible pressure to just have to put in an acceptable performance and show some willingness to get involved in the game. He did not merit coming on second half as did most of the team perhaps but Dele knew that eyes were upon him tonight and he needed to put a shift in. He didn't.

So it's just about our perception of effort.

Get A silly when the only equation seens to be Alli must score or be perceived as busting a gut.

The bloke might as well be sold now on that basis
What did you see tonight (including effort) that would give you hope? He was shit & looked as uninterested as a professional sportsman could. I have completely backed our man, but he looks shit out of ambition as well as form

Right now he’s at a place where he must impress in every bit of a chance he gets. I don’t think he was put in a position to succeed today, he’s average in the midfield.

It’s not too dissimilar than Tanguy’s situation last season unfortunately for Dele, he’s got 1/3 of the talent and more times than not, his talent only shows when he’s on the scoresheet.
That's part of the problem, goals are how he's been judged. I think in his position assists are just as important as is overall play.

Too often in the past, he's had average games, chipped in with a goal and then everyone says "Dele's back".

He's never developed his all-round game to become a great team player rather than a scorer of the odd great goal which is what he's reduced to. Except now he isn't even scoring the great goals.

By my reckoning the 2nd most senior member of that starting XI.... A wasted chance to stand up and be counted sadly.

Jose's comments after the game aught to ring ominously to his ears.

Haven’t seen the game so can’t comment on the specifics. I really like Dele as a person but on the pitch he seems to have lost all his magic, all his confidence, most of his ability and, most worryingly, his drive and desire to be successful. You’re fucked when that’s gone.

Haven’t seen the game so can’t comment on the specifics. I really like Dele as a person but on the pitch he seems to have lost all his magic, all his confidence, most of his ability and, most worryingly, his drive and desire to be successful. You’re fucked when that’s gone.
That is the whole crux of the problem. The guy seems to see himself as more of a media personality than a footballer. Instead of a regular first team slot and International recognition it's as if he'd rather be on a Reality TV show like Love Island.
Somebody needs to take him to one side and remind him that he's 24 years old, the clock (as far as a top footballer is concerned) is loudly ticking.

If there will not be major injury crisis, then we have seen the last start of Dele Alli in Spurs shirt.

Totally out of his depth, no desire, no drive, no passion.
Hope we can get as much out form him as possible in January. If he continues like this, he'll be playing for Wet Spam in 2,5 years time.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom