Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Davies is a CB/LB so playing him at CB makes sense. It is t randomly throwing someone into a position, it is playing someone in a position they are very comfortable to play in. It makes perfect sense.
You keep repeating that Davies is a CB/LB. He isn't, He's a LB and occasional LWB.

We tried Son as LWB a couple of years ago and it was a catstrophe, as was Skipp out wide on the left - he barely touched the ball!

Now get back to your Playstation and consider playing Lloris up front and Harry in goal.

You seem to think I back Dele for his numbers. If that were the case then you haven't read a single thing about why I rate him.
I did think that, initially, I did not give you that credit as that is what I've encountered by most supporters. It's the shiny objects for most. My understanding/recognition of what Dele is as a player is not a new phenomenon. Congrats to the many that are getting here now under the cover of incontrovertible evidence and abundant company. But in the early days there were slings and arrows from the shiny object loving masses for those of us that saw it and mentioned it.

But then I actually gave you the credit of your (copious) words on the subject and just assumed you to be misguided on this player. But I respected it as I have many of your writings/opinions. That is until I saw your absolute disregard for the whole of Dele's performances and your pattern of minimizing the things he does that hurt us as a team for those that elevate and support Dele the player. And then I was back to realizing it's always been the shiny objects and yours was an emotional appeal.

And yeah, no need for another 500 words of things that happen "off screen". I remember the Macedonian nutmeg and childish celebration. I will have my vindication when this shitty player is sold and is no longer hurting my team. 10 more caps. You remember that right? I won't forget it. Perhaps you need to come to grips with why you rate this player because it's looking like you were wrong. And for me it's not about being right. It really isn't. But what it is about is him no longer holding my team back for 89 minutes of every game.

Posters can slate Alli all day and night but I feel for him.

Not because he won't have all the money he probably needs to live a good life already but because I think he knows the magic he once had may now be gone............ aged 24.

We can say what we like but I think none of us would cope well or know what to do if we thought we were working hard and yet in our area of work and where it mattered it just wasn't there.
Agree. Must be a tough realisation to know you have been found out in your career.

That being said, the door is open to MLS/China and an early retirement.

Well after some checking, this is Davies' playing career with Spurs: PL starts.

He's obviously a CB!

This isn't FIFA. Play players in their natural position that they've learnt over the years.

PL Starts
CBLBLWB
20/21
0​
5​
0​
19/20
0​
17​
1​
18/19
2​
25​
0​
17/18
0​
24​
5​
16/17
1​
16​
6​
15/16
0​
17​
0​

Check his stats for Wales.

Again there is a reason people aren’t making a big about this and it’s because Davies is capable of playing CB just fine.

I was actually thinking about Dele earlier and remembered how he scored or set up a few goals prior to lockdown and then came back looking a completely different player.

I then remembered he got robbed at knife point during lock down and wonder if that have had any sort of impact on him.

Why do they have to be as experienced? I don't think we are lacking experience in the squad.

As for a HG player that is a better squad player- Skipp is the obvious answer but don't want to bring him back. I think White offers as much as Dele does at this point, but really neither should be starting for our B team anyways so the difference between them isn't much.

Phillips would be a dream add to the team, but he didn't want to leave Leeds when they were in the Championship so not likely he moves now.

A guy like Eze that moved in the summer would be a better option for us.

David Brooks was a guy rumoured in the summer but he is Welsh so not sure if we have the same issues we do with Davies although he did spend time in United as a youth so that may change things.

Jarred Bowen would have been a nice addition but is not likely to leave West Ham now,

I would take Todd Cantwell off Norwich ahead of Dele.

Not that he would have likely come here but Bellingham would have been a great addition.

Would probably have to look into it deeper to get a real list but these are some guys that either recently moved or would likely be available so there are clearly options out there to fill his spot if we need a new HG MF to replace him.
Cantrell is a good shout . They owe us a favour and we could lend them Marsh

Mourinho has got a team building job to do especially with the back-up players.
I now understand why Bergy was not his choice, whyever did we buy another winger? He can't play C.F. and never beats a man.
People said they were surprised he was our choice and now so am I !

I was actually thinking about Dele earlier and remembered how he scored or set up a few goals prior to lockdown and then came back looking a completely different player.

I then remembered he got robbed at knife point during lock down and wonder if that have had any sort of impact on him.
Must be that. lol

Check his stats for Wales.

Again there is a reason people aren’t making a big about this and it’s because Davies is capable of playing CB just fine.
I have no interest in where he plays for Wales (see Foyth comment earlier in the thread).

I have no doubt that he is CAPABLE of playing CB - as capable as Lloris is playing as a number 9. However is he a CB - NO. Now please stop this rubbish as I'm feeling trapped in the Twilight Zone.

I have no interest in where he plays for Wales (see Foyth comment earlier in the thread).

I have no doubt that he is CAPABLE of playing CB - as capable as Lloris is playing as a number 9. However is he a CB - NO. Now please stop this rubbish as I'm feeling trapped in the Twilight Zone.

The fact you have to include nonsense like Lloris as a forward as a comparable shows how ridiculous your “argument” is.

Also why would you ignore where he plays for Wales other than the fact it shows his wrong you are.

Give it up mate, he's spouting shite. Davies is a LB capable of the odd game at CB or more preferably on the left of a back three. He's never been known as a CB.

He's obviously a CB!

This isn't FIFA. Play players in their natural position that they've learnt over the years.

PL Starts
CBLBLWB
20/21
0​
5​
0​
19/20
0​
17​
1​
18/19
2​
25​
0​
17/18
0​
24​
5​
16/17
1​
16​
6​
15/16
0​
17​
0​

He has played 26/57 appearances at CB for Wales.

......Ignoring facts is not a good look.

He has played 26/57 appearances at CB for Wales.

......Ignoring facts is not a good look.
This is the choice that Wales had in defence from their last squad:

Chris Gunter
31​
Charlton Athletic
Ben Davies (Captain)
27​
Tottenham Hotspur
Connor Roberts
25​
Swansea City
Ethan Ampadu
20​
Sheffield United
Chris Mepham
22​
Bournemouth
Joe Rodon
23​
Tottenham Hotspur
Neco Williams
19​
Liverpool
Ben Cabango
20​
Swansea City
Rhys Norrington-Davies
21​
Luton Town

Unless you want to play a 19 year old, all the choices at CB come from the Championship or League 1. ( I believe Rodon was still with Swansea - I might be wrong) With these riches to choose from I'm not surprised Davies is played at CB. I'd certainly choose him at CB, he'd be wasted at LB with the other options available to Giggs.

However is he a CB? - No. Would I play him for us in that position? - No.

Last edited:
This is the choice that Wales had in defence from their last squad:

Chris Gunter
31​
Charlton Athletic
Ben Davies (Captain)
27​
Tottenham Hotspur
Connor Roberts
25​
Swansea City
Ethan Ampadu
20​
Sheffield United
Chris Mepham
22​
Bournemouth
Joe Rodon
23​
Tottenham Hotspur
Neco Williams
19​
Liverpool
Ben Cabango
20​
Swansea City
Rhys Norrington-Davies
21​
Luton Town

Unless you want to play a 19 year old, all the choices at CB come from the Championship or League 1. ( I believe Rodon was still with Swansea - I might be wrong) With these riches to choose from I'm not surprised Davies is played at CB. I'd certainly choose him at CB, he'd be wasted at LB with the other options available to Giggs.

However is he a CB? - No. Would I play him for us in that position? - No.

To be perfectly frank, who the fuck cares whether you think he's a CB... Jose, Poch, Giggs, Coleman are all ACTUAL managers....

Wales biggest games in decades:

screenshot-2020-10-30-at-21-22-25.png

To be perfectly frank, who the fuck cares whether you think he's a CB... Jose, Poch, Giggs, Coleman are all ACTUAL managers....

Wales biggest games in decades:

screenshot-2020-10-30-at-21-22-25.png
Now we have spun off into the realms of fantasy.

What on earth has "Wales biggest games in decades" got to do about whether Davies is a CB and whether he should play as CB for us? Earlier I posted his PL appearances for us at CB over the last few years and the coaches also agree that he's not a CB and should play at LB/LWB.

There is one think we can agree on - nobody cares what I (or indeed anyone else on this forum) think.

He's obviously a CB!

PL Starts
CBLBLWB
20/21
0​
5​
0​
19/20
0​
17​
1​
18/19
2​