Oliver Skipp

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Many have been on loan but apart from Harry I cannot recall any other player doing well enough to return and get into the first 11. I do hope Skipp can do it and reports are good but will he decide to stay where he can be first choice or return and have to fight for minutes. Only time will tell.
I may have a wrong memory of this but, didn't Harry only get in the team due to a) injuries and b) change of manager.
I do remember him coming off the bench in a few games, scoring and forcing his way into the first team.

Spurs fans are weird.

Skipp gets player of the month and relative silence.

One poor game that no one watched and everyone's opinion comes out.
Plenty of comments over the last few pages noting his good performances and the positive start to his loan. POTM likely skewed by Spurs fans voting on a Norwich poll.

Horrific leg snapping challenge on Skipp in todays game with Rotherham which saw the Rotherham player get sent off.

And Skipp just gets up and walks off from it.

Can see why Mourinho thinks he's a future captain. Balls of steel that lad.
Omg I went to school with that guy who two footed Skippy - Angus MacDonald, he was in the year above and would steal our ball and boot it miles away every fucking lunchtime.

Class A cunt, hasn't changed it seems

Last edited:
Many have been on loan but apart from Harry I cannot recall any other player doing well enough to return and get into the first 11. I do hope Skipp can do it and reports are good but will he decide to stay where he can be first choice or return and have to fight for minutes. Only time will tell.

Ryan Mason (didn't last, but was certainly a starter for a while).....

For anyone interested, he's playing on Sky Sports now.
It's two changes for Daniel Farke's in-form Norwich - Todd Cantwell drops to the bench along with Mario Vrancic, with Marco Stiepermann and Przemyslaw Placheta coming in.

Skipp starts again .........despite Farke reviewing his team and changing out a couple of players.

I may have a wrong memory of this but, didn't Harry only get in the team due to a) injuries and b) change of manager.
I do remember him coming off the bench in a few games, scoring and forcing his way into the first team.
I think it might have also been down to the fact that Soldado couldn't hit a barn door from the inside !

Norwich striker Pukki and 2 other attacking players subbed by more defensive players from 72 mins to 90 mins (reverse of tactical subs Norwich have made in last 4 games where they brought on attacking players for DM Skipp as they needed to score more goals) as Norwich hold onto a 3-1 lead. So Skipp plays full 90 this time.

I'm up to the 85th minute of the BC/Norwich game.

I don't think Skipp is wonder bread, but I would much, much rather be watching him getting time in our team than a bunter like Sissoko. Skipp is much better technically, happy to take the ball on the half turn and try to face forwards, generally has awareness or tries to see what's around him (rather than no awareness and constantly just panicking and bunting backwards from whence the ball has come) and he will try to play vertically when it's on, occasionally taking a risk with this type of pass.

He is tenacious, but he lacks some physical qualities, he's not got the physique to bully or impose himself on duels and not got that Kante type dynamism either.

He's much more willing to show for the ball than someone like Sissoko, but I still think there are times when he could show more, be a bit more dynamic in his efforts to show.

In short I think his movement without the ball, when his team are in and out of possession could be a little sharper, but he's still better in that respect than Sissoko, and probably Winks. His reading and positional sense is very similar to Hojbjerg's, not perfect, not the zippiest, but better than Winks or Sissoko.

And some will say the physicality argument is why Sissoko would get picked, but I think this is utterly bogus because Sissoko doesn't use that physicality well, he can't jump, he's clumsy in the tackle not imposing, and he trundles around less smartly or dynamically than Skipp in defensive phases. And what Skipp does have is better physical balance which evens out some of the physique thing.

Off Norwich main fans forum

Skipp's best match for me so far. Was everywhere, did the dirty stuff and had great energy. He must now know he made the right choice in coming to a club serious about playing good football and wanting to get back to the PL.

Best performance of 2020, easily. Probably since we last got promoted. The team looked balanced, pressed well and played really good flowing football. I think Marco had a big influence on that. Also a mention to Skipp, who was understated but excellent in the anchor role today.

I'm up to the 85th minute of the BC/Norwich game.

I don't think Skipp is wonder bread, but I would much, much rather be watching him getting time in our team than a bunter like Sissoko. Skipp is much better technically, happy to take the ball on the half turn and try to face forwards, generally has awareness or tries to see what's around him (rather than no awareness and constantly just panicking and bunting backwards from whence the ball has come) and he will try to play vertically when it's on, occasionally taking a risk with this type of pass.

He is tenacious, but he lacks some physical qualities, he's not got the physique to bully or impose himself on duels and not got that Kante type dynamism either.

He's much more willing to show for the ball than someone like Sissoko, but I still think there are times when he could show more, be a bit more dynamic in his efforts to show.

In short I think his movement without the ball, when his team are in and out of possession could be a little sharper, but he's still better in that respect than Sissoko, and probably Winks. His reading and positional sense is very similar to Hojbjerg's, not perfect, not the zippiest, but better than Winks or Sissoko.

And some will say the physicality argument is why Sissoko would get picked, but I think this is utterly bogus because Sissoko doesn't use that physicality well, he can't jump, he's clumsy in the tackle not imposing, and he trundles around less smartly or dynamically than Skipp in defensive phases. And what Skipp does have is better physical balance which evens out some of the physique thing.

How old was Kante when he made his name coming from the lower tiers? 24 or 25?

Back
Top Bottom