January 2021 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What you are saying isn't addressing the point(s) I'm making though. we could be using Ndombele in a Cm3 now, and we aren't. Even if Lo Celso gets fit, are we going to keep playing CM2 systems? If so then none of the combinations of CM's we have now are ideal. We still need to get at least a proper, fully functioning 6 type.
Unless some unusual deal is available in January, which hardly ever happens, I think we are good for now. The priority is to get this group playing together often enough to build understanding.
Next summer Skipp comes back a better player in the best case.

I'm interested to see how our center backs do the next two months before we spring for another in January.

A solid CM with more passing ability and ability on the ball than Winks or Sissoko would help us when we need to rotate the squad. I'd like to see a young player with upside come in for us in this role.

Love Lamela and Moura but maybe one of them can be moved on to give Bergwijn more opportunities, and open a bit of time up for Jack Clarke too. I worry that Bergwijn is set to regress this season based on his lack of playing time, which doesn't look like it will be changing anytime soon.

What's become clear is that our desperate need for central midfielders - of various types 6/hybrid/whatever we want to call them - was not solved last summer.

If we can pick up at least one decent option in January we should.

Obviously I thought we could have done better than PEH. I'll give him his due, he's an absolute trier who leaves it all on the pitch, and he does at least offer a combination of that and a modicum of footballing intentions - even if his ability and physical qualities can't cash the cheque his intentions want to write.

But we can't keep playing this midfield-less shite. At the very least we need to put another 6 or 6/hybrid in there with PEH if we intend to keep playing double pivots, someone with similar tenacity but with some footballing ability and dynamism. If Mourinho would adapt to a CM3 and use Lo Celso and Ndombele as lateral 8's we could have such a fucking good midfield, but Mourinho seems inexplicably welded to a Cm2 and fucking Sissoko trundling around like skagged up elephant doing a shit impression of Sulley Muntari.
I agree with you about Sissoko but him and Lamela will always have a place in Jose’s team for being hard workers. He absolutely loves a trier and Sissoko can literally run for 180 mins

I agree with you about Sissoko but him and Lamela will always have a place in Jose’s team for being hard workers. He absolutely loves a trier and Sissoko can literally run for 180 mins

This is thing, it's a fucking myth, he's just a fucking unit, time after time he's caught stood around watching or ambling instead of actually running to close people down. I've posted numerous examples of his lazy fucking trundling.

Lamela's not lazy but he's so fucking clumsy and erratic, he can't tackle anyone without fouling them, and he bumbles about taking 5 touches too many on the ball, and might as well be hopping around on one leg for all the good his right is.

I'll be coming with determination and conviction if we sign this kid.

Let's see:

Just turned 23
Nearly 2 meters tall at 6'5".
CB or RB

"Milenkovic has suitors across the continent. Italian heavyweights AC Milan are rumoured to be interested, while Manchester United were keen on the Serbian when Jose Mourinho was in charge."

I was interested in watching Milenkovic a few seasons back and was impressed by his calmness and reading of the game for someone so young. Brilliant in the air too.

However, no good at passing from what I remember.

If he's improved that, could be a smart signing. If not. We may aswell just keep what we've got or develop Rodon.

The issue is that I don't think Jose wants to have two attacking/creative midfielders in the squad who will have the team playing a more attacking style of play. He sees that as too risky and prefers the idea that guys like Sissoko are "safer" because they are unable to make passes and don't run the risk of making a mistake by trying to move the ball forward.

There is no issue playing them both as it would be by far our best midfield no matter what the formation is, but doubt that Jose wants to see that much skill in the line-up at the same time.
I love how random internet folk think they know better than Mourinho/Deschamps/Pochettino etc.

I think it's wilful ignorance at this point to pretend Sissoko offers nothing.

Yes we all know he is not good technically but if we play Ndombele in a 2 we would concede 3 goals a game.

Guys like Sissoko are safer, as you put it, because they can actually run for 90 mins, take up good defensive positions and protect our goal.

His work off the ball is fantastic. Covering for full backs and having the engine to consistently be in the right place for a whole game.

His ability to carry the ball in transition gives much needed respite and stretches teams.

Sissoko and Hojberg is not exciting on paper but it seems to be getting results.

We went to Old Trafford and won 6-1 with those two remember? We are two points off the top of the league and were it not for a shocking VAR decision against Newcastle and a 10 min collapse against West Ham we would be 2 points clear.

For everyone talking about how poor we were against Brighton - I don't believe Lloris had a save to make and their goal came from another VAR fuck up.

In some games, once they are fit enough for Premier League football, we will see Ndombele and Lo Celso start together. They should be used in games where the opposition will just try to put 10 men behind the ball.

But the sooner you accept Sissoko has a role to play this season the sooner you'll sleep easy at night.

Him and Hojberg give a very solid base for our amazing array of attacking talent to do their stuff.

Sissoko is fine as a squad CM. Needs to be paired with someone who can handle the ball and pass it around effectively though as he not quite good enough on it to be played as a non-CDM.

No one is going to come in and buy him off us for any price we'd accept though so we should maybe stop hoping for that.

I was interested in watching Milenkovic a few seasons back and was impressed by his calmness and reading of the game for someone so young. Brilliant in the air too.

However, no good at passing from what I remember.

If he's improved that, could be a smart signing. If not. We may aswell just keep what we've got or develop Rodon.
Is he lumberingly slow, being that tall?

Eriksen linkz every other day from shoddy sources .. the way Mourinho wants us to play I feel like we should be looking to find a version of Sissoko that offers for the ball and doesn't force Dier to punt long 7/8 times every game. Brighton and Burnley games were a brutal watch.

Mwepu of Salzburg is one to watch, really impressed with him vs Bayern last night

I love how random internet folk think they know better than Mourinho/Deschamps/Pochettino etc.

I think it's wilful ignorance at this point to pretend Sissoko offers nothing.

Yes we all know he is not good technically but if we play Ndombele in a 2 we would concede 3 goals a game.

Guys like Sissoko are safer, as you put it, because they can actually run for 90 mins, take up good defensive positions and protect our goal.

His work off the ball is fantastic. Covering for full backs and having the engine to consistently be in the right place for a whole game.

His ability to carry the ball in transition gives much needed respite and stretches teams.

Sissoko and Hojberg is not exciting on paper but it seems to be getting results.

We went to Old Trafford and won 6-1 with those two remember? We are two points off the top of the league and were it not for a shocking VAR decision against Newcastle and a 10 min collapse against West Ham we would be 2 points clear.

For everyone talking about how poor we were against Brighton - I don't believe Lloris had a save to make and their goal came from another VAR fuck up.

In some games, once they are fit enough for Premier League football, we will see Ndombele and Lo Celso start together. They should be used in games where the opposition will just try to put 10 men behind the ball.

But the sooner you accept Sissoko has a role to play this season the sooner you'll sleep easy at night.

Him and Hojberg give a very solid base for our amazing array of attacking talent to do their stuff.

Shall we ignore that Pochettino got sacked for stupid decisions like constantly picking Sissoko in a team and then wondering why it couldn't transition the ball the way he wanted?

We are three points above the team in eleventh and two of them have games in hand.

Everyone has been to Old Trafford and won, including Palace, and they were against 11 men.

It wasn't a VAR fuck up, it was a refereeing fuck up, and that doesn't mean you stop playing, so Lloris did have something to do, save their shot. Their keeper hardly had fuck all to do either, and we only won because Kane bought a pen out of fuck all.

The day anyone with a modicum of understanding of football accepts the inert ineptitude of Sissoko in a midfield is the day they should just stop and find another hobby.

Our array of attacking talent barely saw the ball Sunday because Sissoko spend the whole game hiding from it and then bunting back to whoever gives it him.

Shall we ignore that Pochettino got sacked for stupid decisions like constantly picking Sissoko in a team and then wondering why it couldn't transition the ball the way he wanted?

We are three points above the team in eleventh and two of them have games in hand.

Everyone has been to Old Trafford and won, including Palace, and they were against 11 men.

It wasn't a VAR fuck up, it was a refereeing fuck up, and that doesn't mean you stop playing, so Lloris did have something to do, save their shot. Their keeper hardly had fuck all to do either, and we only won because Kane bought a pen out of fuck all.

The day anyone with a modicum of understanding of football accepts the inert ineptitude of Sissoko in a midfield is the day they should just stop and find another hobby.

Our array of attacking talent barely saw the ball Sunday because Sissoko spend the whole game hiding from it and then bunting back to whoever gives it him.
Couldn’t agree more. The guy barely touches the ball when he have majority of possession. If he does he just basically more often than passed straight back to the player who gave it to him. He never makes angles or move into a position for a give and go. I still don’t understand how he became a professional footballer. He can’t control the ball, shoot, jump , head the ball and very rarely tackles unless his running along side some and slides in. His beaten off the ball to easy as well for a big guy. No idea what he brings to the table apart from on the counter perhaps.

Back
Top Bottom