Giovani Lo Celso

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Going on International Duty with the Argies and getting minutes there will only help him too. Think that's one International call up I am pleased to see.

Just a pity he has to travel to Argentina and Peru. In Sonny's case, South Korea are playing their games in Europe to aid the mainly EU based squad.

No, why should we? Jose said he's not fit yet. I can't tell if you're excited to pile on a player like some here are, or it's your way to criticize that behavior.

nothing really wrong with his comments. he's put it down to fitness not effort. Its not like when he slagged off players like pogba and shaw for just not trying.

obviously would prefer if comments stayed in club, but this is jose.

nothing really wrong with his comments. he's put it down to fitness not effort. Its not like when he slagged off players like pogba and shaw for just not trying.

obviously would prefer if comments stayed in club, but this is jose.
I thought Lo Celso was man of the match yesterday - but that's not the point. Jose wanted more from Ndombele last season. He is clearly not happy with Dele Alli. Lo Celso was man of the match - but he was not 100%. As you said, "nothing really wrong with Jose's comments".

And in my opinion, Lo Celso is a clear favourite. Despite wanting more, Jose mentioned not only his quality on the ball but also the fact that he understands what the team needs from him - he doesn't say that about Dele Alli, for example. Lo Celso is tactically very smart and really important to the way we press. Jose knows it. However, since he openly criticized both Ndombele and Dele Alli, he also needed to show Lo Celso - or anybody else - won't get a free pass.

😅 Can we at least give our manager more than 7 league games, none with Gio actually fit, to say he won't play our 48million euro player with our other 62million euro player yet? Considering he was a favorite last season?

Early last season Gio had a bunch of injury problems. It wouldn't surprise me if, given the intensity of the PL (I remember that scene in one of the latter episodes of AoN where the physios were worried if the exceptional intensity of this league was putting Gio's body under strain), we're taking it careful with him. He's one of our most expensive and valuable signings and one of the themes this season seems to be Mourinho saying with our new squad depth, he won't risk a player if he can help it. Gio steadily picking up fitness through these slower-paced European games before we dump him back in the PL fray makes sense to me. At this rate we should hopefully have him back for the harder games coming up in late Nov.
Problem is that playing them both puts a lot of pressure on Hjobjerg to do the defensive work. Gio looks better up behind Kane. He sees things that others don't and we don't need Eriksen anymore !
I'm afraid I am the one who still is not sure about Ndombekle. He still only plays 60-70 minutes ! This is not boys football. The fame plays for 95 mins and like against Wet Spam, we need players who can keep control for 95.
Our team reminds me of the Italians in Mexico, when they played one midfielder in the 1st half and another in the 2nd half.
Maybe we try it against an EL opponent at home or a lower team in the PL, but I'm not convinced it's a fit !

Last edited:
Problem is that playing them both puts a lot of pressure on Hjobjerg to do the defensive work. Gio looks better up behind Kane. He sees things that others don't and we don't need Eriksen anymore !
lo celso and the new ndom do seem to put a shift in off the ball now so it could work with the three of them. its definitely going to be interesting to see how it works when they do all play together because on paper its our best midfield 3

Interesting from Mou to pick out Lo Celso's contributions off the ball. Must admit I didn't see too much wrong from my view, and his on the ball contributions were good in my view too. I trust that the gaffer knows why he is picking him up on this, can't see Gio being the type to shy away from a challenge in the form of 'be more aggressive' as that's what he lives for I think.

Generally the bloke is getting slowly back to his previous form where he was integral for us and I look forward to him hitting the top heights of performances again as he's a great player.

I can understand the latest comments by Mourinho. Since Mourinho came here, he has favoured two DMs and one AM. That AM is clearly Ndombele now. I think Lo Celso is a very good AM but NDombele has that something special that could potentially make him a world class player one day. The problem is, where does that leave Lo Celso. The two DM has been working well so if Lo Celso fills one of those positions, his defence and off the ball play will probably need to improve to satisfy Mourinhos expectations. I see Lo Celso in a Thiago style role where he plays deeper, more box to box, and transitions the ball very quickly from defence to attack. I think Mourinho is taking a very risk adverse approach to the situation but I do look forward to the day I see a PEH-LC-ND midfield as I think that is a potential world class midfield IF Mourinho can make it work.

JIMINHO, trying to get another AM to become a DM will be another disaster the same as its been for us (and) winks when Poch & Jose keep trying to get him to play as DM, if you want a DM buy a player who has played it all his career not try to make one, we can't afford to wait 1/2 season while a player learns his new DM position

JIMINHO, trying to get another AM to become a DM will be another disaster the same as its been for us (and) winks when Poch & Jose keep trying to get him to play as DM, if you want a DM buy a player who has played it all his career not try to make one, we can't afford to wait 1/2 season while a player learns his new DM position
What about Skippy ?

Not at all worried about GLC. He's clearly working his way back from injury and hasn't got full fitness yet. Very obviously got the quality and attitude to make a major contribution to our season.

No I’m not saying for Lo Celso to be a DM more so an all round midfielder. Unfortuently, the reason we have two DM in the team is because our defence is not solid. If we had a better defence, that would help us rely less on the two DMs so that Lo Celso could be that second midfielder

No I’m not saying for Lo Celso to be a DM more so an all round midfielder. Unfortuently, the reason we have two DM in the team is because our defence is not solid. If we had a better defence, that would help us rely less on the two DMs so that Lo Celso could be that second midfielder

The problem is we don't have two DM in our squad, just because Sissoko is shit on the ball doesn't make him a DM.

He is terrible at reading the play, is a poor tackler, is not particularly strong or good in the air to defend crosses/free kicks/corners.

The only reason he is considered anything remotely close to a DM is because he sucks too much to be considered anything else.

Back
Top Bottom